Parent Gamers

This is a discussion on Parent Gamers within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Anyone here a parent?? How do you make time for gaming? Do your kids play with you? Why or why ...

arrghhargahragharahg

Parent Gamers

Anyone here a parent??

How do you make time for gaming? Do your kids play with you?

Why or why not?

I have a 5 year old daughter, I do not play games when she is around. My time is spent with her. When she's at school, and errands or chores are done, I can put in a few hours. Same goes when she is at her moms house. She currently has a LeapPad, and I encourage her to play it, but not for more than an hour straight. It would be nice if she could play with me, but when she's older. School comes first, and I am actively involved (served a year as chair, currently vice-chair). When she is old enough, I do hope she will take a liking to video games so she can play with me, as well as enjoy them, BUT, responsibly!!! That means getting homework, chores, etc. done first. At the same time, non-violent games until I deem her ready for them (responsible, mature, good judgment, able to tell the difference between fantasy and reality), unless she turns 18 first.

Until then.......
    Extremely busy at the moment. I have not forgotten those that I am helping, so fear not!
    Sig by DaRe_xLw
    !!

PRO Member

I split my time with my son. He is 21 months old. I also have a 6 week old but he usually just sleeps on me. If he is preoccupied with his toys and I have nothing to do, I will play for a bit. I make sure that as soon as he wants to play with dad, the game goes off. He also likes to have one of the controllers and push buttons (the controller has been dead for a few months now). I think as he gets older, I will integrate him into games but also make sure that he realizes that there are other things out there that can be played with. My kid is going to be an "outside first, games second" type of kid like I was growing up.

Alot of my gaming time, and my wife's, is when he is asleep though.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Ice Cream Firefighter

I have 2 kids & spend heaps of time with them both gaming & playing tea party & dress-up or taking them to the park, Dads awesome in their eyes. They have their own PS3 & I watch them play & vice versa as they play on mine all the time just not their games. But I also suffer insomnia so I don't sleep much or at all so I spend that time playing games as well as being here

GDT RIP Biggest
    Competition of 2013
    Will be drawn very soon

GDT RIP Competitions
    On holidays and will resume on February 1st 2014

Now Playing
    Final Fantasy XIV:
    A Realm Reborn

Chocobo Master

I have a daughter but she lives with her mother. I consider my pets my kids so gaming is pretty easy. Certain days I wake up at 7 a.m to play with my dog at the park. Get back home by 11 a.m to feed her and change the toilet in our Sugar Glider cage then I head into work for some papers or clinic time. 6 p.m I play some with my dog then help with preparing dinner. Around 10p.m /11 p.m, I play with my Sugar Gliders for about a hour. This routine happens every other day.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

PRO Member

Something my wife and I have discussed is starting our kids off on SNES. We both feel that it would help to mold them into better gamers while at the same time showing them that video games are just that - games. Having my kid playing an old classic like Super Mario Bros, I feel that it will help him understand reality vs fantasy. Granted, he will see me playing my violent video games but that is where it falls on the parent to show and teach that nothing on a video game is real.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

21 years of a age, no kids. I don't think I want to bring a child into this world. It'll only end in suffering & pain considering how terrible this world is & where it's heading.

But WHAT IF? I did have one. You know woman gotta lie about that pill they're taking. (jk). >_>

I would love to introduce gaming to him/her although I would def. be cautious of what games he/she plays. Under 10 years of age. I think I would keep it rated E & also find some educational games. At 11-13 I would up it to T & 13 / beyond. I'll let rated M & GTA type games be available BUT I'll def. stress the point of realism / fake, what's OK & what's not. & all that. There would be no 12+ hours gaming sessions unless your over 18 & make your own rules somewhere else. :p

Signature by DaRe_xLw

illegal in 9 countries

I don't game while my kids are awake. With 3 kids aged 3 or less, it's not what I want them to see me doing. I'd rather they establish healthy, active routines than develop a slouch and an arse-wedge on the couch.

Occasionally I'll play a kids game with them, but it's less than an hour a month.
    As for me, i'll typically get in 2 or 3 hours every night after 9pm when everyone's asleep.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

PRO Member

I have 3 kids.... ages 5, 2 and 6 months. The 2 eldest are normally in their rooms ready for bed by 7.30pm and my youngest normally goes down for the night by around 8pm so thats normally when I start to play. And as most of the games I play involve killing so I never let my kids watch.

A plat a month!

I have a 5 year old daughter. With the types of games I play, I'd rather not her see them. So I normally don't turn on the PS3 while she is awake, unless it is to watch some Netflix for kids.

Even after the little one goes to bed, the PS3 doesn't get turned on until my wife falls asleep.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I do not have any children and I don't expect to have any for at least 7 more years, but if I did have them I think it would be a GREAT idea to introduce them to gaming (when they're 5 or 6) with a SNES or a PS1. Those are the systems I grew up with and I think they're a perfect example of gaming history. Those systems have games for everyone and most of them are pretty good, and if not good, well, they're fun. Then they'd get a PS2 or a Gamecube, then a Wii or PS3 and then the new systems as they're growing.
    Of course they would only be allowed to play after homework is done and just 1 hour if it's the week, on Fridays and Saturdays they could play a bit longer.

I don't even know why I have all this figured out because as I said I don't plan to have kids...

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 6 - Silver

I have a 5 year old son who really enjoys playing Little Big Planet. He likes for me to type in odd things in the community section for him to play. Whatever he is interested in at the time. Which is normally some kind of construction equipment. But can be things like 'sharks' 'tornadoes' etc. I play with him sometimes but honestly I find the community levels he plays to be really boring. Recently I've gotten both the wife and the kid excited about purchasing LBP: Karting. It'll probably be too tough for him but we'll see. It's fun to see him get better and better at the basics like platforming.

As for me I normally have to wait until nighttime to get some gaming in for myself. Either that or wait for the family to be out running errands. I try to not play terribly violent things in front of the kid for too long. But I also don't stress out too much about him seeing it here and there like some parents do. (The wife's kind of a different story though of course) I trust my kid's judgement where violence is concerned. I think it's kinda of unrealistic to think you can shield your kid from violence and profanity forever. Might as well expose him to it little by little, here and there.

I also use gaming as an incentive to get his homework done or just to behave better etc etc. When he asks if he can play and he has homework to get done I always tell him he can play after he gets a couple of worksheets done WITHOUT being a butt-hole. Because he is capable of being a right little shit sometimes when it comes to homework.

PRO Member

I have a 18 month old and its impossible to game while my daughter is around she is demanding LOL. not that Id really want to anyway I like M games so thats not what I want her to see anyway.. But when she gets to sleep at night or she is taking a nap Ill throw the PS on for an hour. When shes old enough I let her play video games if she likes I mean when I was a kid I loved video games but I only played maybe an hour or 2 a week thats why I never had rules reguarding when I could play. I liked to play outside. Ill probly get her a N64 or something when shes like 6-7 and allow her to join me on kids game by 4-5.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

First off, I think this is a really good thread. I have two kids, a boy and a girl and they're 11 and 9. They have been playing games, educational and ones just for fun since they were able to hold a hand help leap pad. I do play with them on the Wii, 360, and PS3. I am strick on the game ratings and don't play my games when they're up. My son played with me on Portal 2 co-op and we finished all of the co-op mode together. Luckily the sarcasm goes over his head. I agree with the OP that games are played after chores, school work, and other responsibilities are done. I also limit the time they play at one time to an hour or so. If they go outside and play with their friends and come back later to play, that is OK. Lately my kids have been playing Minecraft on the 360 and have a blast with that. My kids like playing games and I never forced them into it.

I am struggling right now with their ages to say you can't play that game because of all the shooting, and then me turning around and playing them myself. My wife and I have said we will only keep T rated games or lower in the house and although I have my share of COD games, I do try not to play a lot of games that have a lot of swearing or half nude girls in them. You won't find any Red Dead Redemption or GTA games in my house.

Kids copy thier parents so I try to be a good role model for them, even if I have to sacrifice and say I'd llike to play that game but would it be a good example for them. Will they want to play it in a couple of years and would I want them to.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I have a 6-year old I play some Lego Batman & Star Wars games with and he absolutely LOOOOOOOOVES them. I find them to be quite entertaining as well as they're a solid product, well designed and fun for both kids and adults alike. As for my own gaming time, I basically wait until the wife and kid go to bed and then I have a few hours a night I can go wild.......

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

PRO Member

If you notice all the kids games I have in my trophy list, that will answer your question.

INTJ

I played Doom 2 when i was 4. and beat it.

My parents let me play it because they trusted me.

If they didn't trust me they would block me from that type of stuff.

but luckily i didn't abuse the trust so it actually strengthened my family relationship because of video games.

so the same situation applies here, if you trust your child can seperate games from reality, go for it. but i wouldn't do anything dialouge/sexual heavy.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    I played Doom 2 when i was 4. and beat it.

My parents let me play it because they trusted me.

If they didn't trust me they would block me from that type of stuff.

but luckily i didn't abuse the trust so it actually strengthened my family relationship because of video games.

so the same situation applies here, if you trust your child can seperate games from reality, go for it. but i wouldn't do anything dialouge/sexual heavy.
    Same here. I played Doom 1, 2, Duke Nukem, etc. at the age of 7. My dad, brother and me competed on how fast we could beat it on Nightmare or other hardest difficulty. It promoted "family" time (used lightly) and sharing of time, so the time spent would be equal and fair. Games are good with moderation. Keep it age appropriate and kids will be fine unless there is some other psychological issues.

Note: I have no kids yet lol. So this is future thinking.

Signature created by: DaRe_xLw

Lvl 10 - Platinum

got an almost 3 year old and another on the way in a couple months, so my time has been cut down a lot, i still get in a couple hours when my daughter goes in for her afternoon nap and early mornings before she gets up and i dont have to go to work, i try not to play too much when shes awake because i enjoy spending time with her, but she has her own leappad now so i help her play that if she gets frustrated at it, she will sometimes come downstairs to my ps3 cave when she gets up and says she wants to help me play, usually just by holding my spare controller and pressing random buttons, every once in a while shell hit the ps button and end up pausing my game, but it doesnt happen that often, she is also curious about some games and asks questions about what is going on with the character that im playing, a couple weeks ago i was playing the latest ratchet game and she was curious as to why he was 'flying' because i was grinding out the ironmadman trophy and just boosting about the map, questions like that are why kids are awesome, such curiousity

arrghhargahragharahg

Great Stuff! You guys have some really good points!
    I have tried to play LBP with my daughter but she lost interest at the time. Most of my games are M or T rated, so I don't have too much of a selection at the moment. LeapPad is working just fine for her.

Glad to see some responsible parents out there, prioritizing kids first, games second!
    Extremely busy at the moment. I have not forgotten those that I am helping, so fear not!
    Sig by DaRe_xLw
    !!