Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rankings: Final Fantasy

This is a discussion on Rankings: Final Fantasy within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Let's get to the bottom of this. XIII sucks cause it's not X...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Let's get to the bottom of this. XIII sucks cause it's not X
    Watch me on the Tubes: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wishicouldgame
    Follow me on the Twitters: https://twitter.com/JOExistence

PRO Member

I loved XII but I agree it didn't have much of a plot and the characters were not terribly interesting. It was all the extra stuff you can do that made it shine. I also really like the gambit system. There is little that's more annoying than fighting random encounters when you don't want to (with all the cutscenes and everything). XII lets you just kill the enemies as you walk past them. The game is a grind but it feels more relaxing when you can just walk around rather than press certain button sequences repetitively. The bosses are difficult enough that you do have to pay attention or work out your strategy ahead of time. This is rarely talked about, but it's nice that you have the ability to swap equipment mid-battle. No other FF that I'm aware of lets you do that, but I haven't played any before 7.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by mjglover View Post
    This is rarely talked about, but it's nice that you have the ability to swap equipment mid-battle. No other FF that I'm aware of lets you do that, but I haven't played any before 7.
    Off the top of my head, III, IV, V, VI, and XI allowed for switching of equipment also. VIII and XIII kind of don't have true to form equipment to change (especially VIII) and IX and VII was built on having your abilities equipped beforehand by either slotting them with weapons/armor or AP, so also wouldn't help too terribly much (IX might of, but oh well).

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 5 - Silver

I would have to say that that list sucks. I haven't played all of them, there si only a couple of games I have not played, but here is my top three list.

3. FFVII
    2. FFVI
    1. FFX

And FFXIII was not that bad. I really enjoyed it. I don't know why people thought it was so bad?

Sig by Bladia

Beast Incarnate

We have all got to remember that this is one persons opinion. Not everybody will agree, but it doesn't mean the list sucks by any means. We are all aloud to have our favourites. I love the entire series. VII is still my favourite, but the rest of them are not far behind at all.

As far as XI goes, I totally agree with Rubicant. It was an awesome adventure and had some of the most challenging enemies I've ever encountered in gaming. I played the game for 6 years and absolutely loved it with a group of my friends.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

In my opinion FFX is just as overly hyped as FFVII is. They are both overall good games. Unique Stories, Lovable Characters, Turn based battle systems that we all love.

What about FFIV?
    Characters: Cecil? Rydia? Kain? Palom and Porum? (So memorable they have a city somewhat named after the pair in FFXIII)
    Plot: Traditional and revolutionary with a LOT of twists.

Toggle Spoiler

(I don't believe this game needs as much defending as XIII is about to get.)

What about XIII?
    Characters: They weren't the absolute best in the series, but they aren't the worst. Everyone who plays FFs should know Lightning by now. Sazh got a lot of fans. Fang? Same. Lightning's character progression is of legendary quality. Cold hearted brute that becomes a kindhearted almost motherly figure to Hope. Hope grows up about 10 years from the beginning to end. Sazh deals with a death. I mean come on... they weren't as awful as people decided.
    Plot: It doesn't get much more original. It is one of the few games that explained the magical powers of the protagonists. Most of the others gained them mysteriously, were born with them, or has them along with everyone else in their world. It has a clear villain with a completely occluded motive.

Again, just remember this is still just my opinion.

Signature created by: DaRe_xLw

Lvl 4 - Silver

I don't like to judge anybody's ranking of the Final Fantasy titles because each has different merits and each person has their own reasons for liking the games. I like to say that my rankings of the Final Fantasy games vary based on my mood, but Final Fantasy IX is my invariable favorite, and I suppose the other top two are Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy VII, though Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Final Fantasy V could also be rotated into that mix, with Final Fantasy XII hanging on the periphery.

Platinum Dohvakiin

For the longest time, I thought that Ranking Final Fantasy games was an invitation to controversy. Simply because the series is so broad and varies over all of it's games. Trying to say one game is better than another, is just asking for trouble. VII and X are put on pedestals, XIII is thrown in the gutter more often than not, and is for all practical purposes is not the worst of them all, I still reserve that one for XII. Not because it was "too western", but because XII was nothing that it was promised to be. And it has the least interesting and most annoying character in the history of FF...Vaan; coupled with a battle system that was a sheer disappointment.
    But all of that is just my opinion, which is the tricky thing about The Final Fantasy Series. People will love a certain game more than another. Is the game better, not necessarily, because each one is completely different than the next. It's easier to rank a series like Uncharted, Call of Duty, RE or DMC because for the most part the games are the same. Final Fantasy survives because each one is intentionally made to be not like the last. So ranking them is always going to be slippery slope.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 6 - Silver

my list would be (only including the ones from the main series i've played a fair bit)

FF7
    FF8
    FF10
    FF9
    FF12
    FF6
    FF10-2
    FF13

Lvl 6 - Silver

EDIT (ignore this damn double post, not what i asked it to do)

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I have played Most FF titles and spinoffs if not all and they all rank very high with me. I love them for exactly what they are. Though,

FFIX is still my favorite. It's so cheesy and emotional simultaneously and showed more love and loyalty than any I have ever played.
    FFXIII/FFXIII-2 is my second. Finally!!!! a final fantasy with a linear storyline

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post
    We have all got to remember that this is one persons opinion. Not everybody will agree, but it doesn't mean the list sucks by any means. We are all aloud to have our favourites. I love the entire series. VII is still my favourite, but the rest of them are not far behind at all.

As far as XI goes, I totally agree with Rubicant. It was an awesome adventure and had some of the most challenging enemies I've ever encountered in gaming. I played the game for 6 years and absolutely loved it with a group of my friends.
    That is true, everyone has there own opinion and I should respect that.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 3 - Bronze

well i loved to play XIII also VIII and X to bad so many people didnt like XIII
    -
    -

Lvl 4 - Silver

Well, Final Fantasy XIII has its issues to be sure, but I think there's a lot to like as well. I felt that XIII-2 sorted out some of the biggest problems.

Lvl 6 - Silver

My favourite is XII followed by IX. Although I like XIII for it's story it will always remain at the bottom for me because it is the one game I can't play on for too long as it get's boring after a while. I do love XIII-2 though, they certainly improved the game for the sequel.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

INTJ

why are you posting kotaku top 10 lists

you know kotaku is the scum of the gaming journalism world right.

Even David Jaffe hates them:

https://soundcloud.com/ben-kuchera/jaffe-confrontation

Lvl 4 - Silver

Meh, top ten lists from gaming magazines, Internet blogs, etc., generally aren't very interesting anyway.

PRO Member

Ranking FF series is rough I even have issues deciding my favorite depending 0n my mood lol my top 3 would have to be
    1)FF7
    2)FF9
    3)FF6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12