Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rankings: Final Fantasy

This is a discussion on Rankings: Final Fantasy within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Found a site that has done a ranking of all games in the Halo, GTA and now Final Fantasy series. ...

PRO Member

Rankings: Final Fantasy

Found a site that has done a ranking of all games in the Halo, GTA and now Final Fantasy series. I am putting up the FF one since it is the most recent. I figure it will be interesting to see everyone's opinions. If you guys enjoy this, I can continue doing different rankings as well as getting the GTA one up.

Before getting to the rankings, here is what the writer said pertaining to the rankings:

Toggle Spoiler

The rankings:

Toggle Spoiler

Here is the link so you can see what the writer said about the games:
    Let
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

> Restart Button <

This is fun.

FF12 was definitly the best one IMO. I love that game and hope they remake it just for me.

Sadly, some people may take offense to the list. For instance, my favorite 3 didn't make top 3. I don't care, it's just fun to see the general view on these games.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    This is fun.

FF12 was definitly the best one IMO. I love that game and hope they remake it just for me.

Sadly, some people may take offense to the list. For instance, my favorite 3 didn't make top 3. I don't care, it's just fun to see the general view on these games.
    I am happy you approve of the idea. I think that doing rankings of different things within the games will be interesting. Always fun to see people's opinions. Hoping to do a couple each week as long as nonody minds.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Beast Incarnate

Not surprised FFVI won, its definitely one of the most popular titles. My top game would be FFVII, just because it was the game that got me into the series and I have played it the most. They are all epic in my opinion though. FFVI, VII, VIII, IX and X would all be around the top for me. Closely followed by IV and then the rest.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Lol at me misreading the original post

My list is similar to the sites actually lol at least in the top 3 lol.

My List

Toggle Spoiler

Signature created by: DaRe_xLw

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i definitely wouldve put 12 higher on the list, but it is very unappreciated, to each their own i suppose

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Sweet Idea, I'm gonna read up on them for sure, and the GTA ones. I go hard for both series'.

But, this is the list for me.

X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X & IX

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm surprised X didn't get ranked higher. That game was amazing and for the first one on Ps2 did a hell of a job.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

PRO Member

In my opinion IV is the best one. Glad to see it at least get the number 3 spot

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 9 - Gold

Really digging the idea of the lists, it'd be cool if you posted ore of 'em

My personal list would be:

1) IX
    2) VII
    3) X
    4) XII
    5) VI
    6) XIII
    7) III
    8) IV
    9) V
    10) II
    11) I
    12) VIII

Of course I didn't beat some of them or didn't enjoy them as much, I'm not saying which one is better.
    If anything X-2 has one of my favorite combat mechanics ever.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Kiwi Defender

The moment I saw XIII was at the bottom, I stopped caring. No, it's not the best, but it isn't the worst either. I'm also amazed at I, X and XII being so low, yet IX is on the second place. Then there's also VIII being above all the ones I mentioned before (not including IX).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I think Final Fantasy V might have been a bit too high, it's probably the "grindiest" of the Final Fantasy's and the story is ridiculously cheesy, as are a majority of the enemy models.

I think putting XIII below II is pretty much ignorance, and fanboyism - because II had the worst battle system of the series, the worst characters as a whole (most people can't even name more than a couple tops) and the leveling up was a horrible science experiment. Again XIII takes the fall because it's most recent in people's minds, but I seriously wonder how many people have forced themselves through II to actually declare such blasphemy.

VII outside the top 3, is how most people who've played the entire series normally feels. The plot, character development, and battle system to that game are all quite overrated (they're good, but nowhere near as infallible as the game's rabid fans point it out to be). It's nice to see that given a large enough relative sample, that you see the game for what it is - the most overrated title in the series (with XIII being the most underrated due to keyboard warriors, social media and a barrage of areas to get the opinion).

No Final Fantasy is perfect, and that's part of the beauty of the series, that each game has it's strengths and weaknesses. But when it comes to balance of story, soundtrack, atmosphere, battle system, leveling options, villains, and character selection and development - VI is the pinnacle of the franchise to date (when you put personal reasons aside, and look at it as objectively as a "fan" can).

Sad that XI didn't make it on the list, because it had it's own unique aspects that deserve some recognition. When create a world that has existed for over a decade and continue to build off of it, it's easy to trip over the details as you add layer upon layer of new content. The lore has done a stellar job of making sense within it's content, and contributing it's fair share of the most unique and difficult villains the world has ever seen (anybody who's fought Absolute Virtue can testify to that). I keep hoping that one day XI turns FTP so other individuals who've been put off by the monthly fee could give the title a shot, because it does have a lot to offer, if you're willing to try.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The moment I saw XIII was at the bottom, I stopped caring. No, it's not the best, but it isn't the worst either. I'm also amazed at I, X and XII being so low, yet IX is on the second place. Then there's also VIII being above all the ones I mentioned before (not including IX).
    You know why XII is that low - it's bottom 3 in story and characters (which is sort of what the franchise is built off of) - it's battle system is awesome, but like I've said before - the gambit system screams, "HEY GUYS, WE WERE GOING TO HAVE THIS SWEET ONLINE MULTIPLAYER THING, BUT WE TOTALLY DITCHED IT LAST SECOND AND MADE THIS SYSTEM TO FIX IT, KK THANKS!" If that game had the coop that it promised for a large portion of it's lifetime, it could have really stood out aside from it's battle system being amazing (sans, the gambits, which really take the fun out of the majority of the game since the AI can do everything but the most difficult bosses themselves).

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I have only played VII, IX, and X. I'm happy where they were ranked considering I haven't played the others. Seems about right.

I was a little surprised about how high IX was ranked. I personally loved the game, but I had the perception not many agreed. Perhaps I was mistaken. Just glad to see it get some love.

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by Organization XIll View Post
    Lol at me misreading the original post

My list is similar to the sites actually lol at least in the top 3 lol.

My List

Toggle Spoiler

I completely agree with you.I loved FF4 and FFXIII is very close,as i really liked that! I don't know why everybody hates it.....
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

#hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    the gambit system screams, "HEY GUYS, WE WERE GOING TO HAVE THIS SWEET ONLINE MULTIPLAYER THING, BUT WE TOTALLY DITCHED IT LAST SECOND AND MADE THIS SYSTEM TO FIX IT, KK THANKS!"

Wow I thought it was just me

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Really digging the idea of the lists, it'd be cool if you posted ore of 'em
    That is plan as of now. As long as most people don't mind or they don't get closed, I will continue them. Probably do one every other day so it doesn't bog down the forum.

Negator

FFXIII at the bottom? Sounds legit.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    You know why XII is that low - it's bottom 3 in story and characters (which is sort of what the franchise is built off of) - it's battle system is awesome, but like I've said before - the gambit system screams, "HEY GUYS, WE WERE GOING TO HAVE THIS SWEET ONLINE MULTIPLAYER THING, BUT WE TOTALLY DITCHED IT LAST SECOND AND MADE THIS SYSTEM TO FIX IT, KK THANKS!" If that game had the coop that it promised for a large portion of it's lifetime, it could have really stood out aside from it's battle system being amazing (sans, the gambits, which really take the fun out of the majority of the game since the AI can do everything but the most difficult bosses themselves).
    No, it is that low because just like everyone bitches about corridors on XIII, everyone bitches about XII being too "western" and what-not. The story is top notch and has quite a few details that make it go above most other FFs, even if many of the characters themselves are lacking and people have the (moronic) idea that Vaan is actually the protagonist.

The Gambit System is bloody awesome, yo. It allows for your team to quickly adapt to the situation without having to depend too heavily on quick reactions to everything that's going on. Even against the most difficult bosses, they are life savers.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    No, it is that low because just like everyone bitches about corridors on XIII, everyone bitches about XII being too "western" and what-not. The story is top notch and has quite a few details that make it go above most other FFs, even if many of the characters themselves are lacking and people have the (moronic) idea that Vaan is actually the protagonist.

The Gambit System is bloody awesome, yo. It allows for your team to quickly adapt to the situation without having to depend too heavily on quick reactions to everything that's going on. Even against the most difficult bosses, they are life savers.
    The too western thing is a lame label, that doesn't describe what the real problems are. XII is the most detached game of the modern series, and the one with the least interesting characters and least amount of lore (in fact the majority of it is borrowed from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which considering it's plethora of problems, is actually a deeper game, says something). It doesn't take much to understand that Ashe is the central protagonist, but it's the extremely weak story and build up that makes that painful at times, it still doesn't make up for the fact that Vaan is a tag-a-long character who's trying to live vicariously through his brother (hey Wakka's plot rehashed!) with Penelo being tacked on for no reason but to force the plot to begin in a piss poor way (should have killed Vaan off in the first 10 hours, if they wanted some impact) - the game could have just as easily been about only Ashe, Balthier, and Fran with Basch as an NPC character. Judges, Empires, evil backstabbing plots? All done much better in every other previous title that had such entities.

It was the first Final Fantasy without Hironobu Sakaguchi's input, and only the second without him at the helm, and it felt like a project in which people were trying too hard to be individualistic that they separated themselves far too much from the source material and it was the first time that you could associate a Final Fantasy title with something other than Final Fantasy more readily than what it is supposed to be. The game could have been called "Ivalice: The Empire's Deception" or "Final Fantasy Advance: The Coup D'etat" and it would have felt like a more apt entry. It's a good game - it's just not a good Final Fantasy, because it just fell short in too many departments that make Final Fantasy titles special.

The gambit system was amazing, yes. Too amazing. It made it so you could micromanage your party to make the entire game laughable at times. I remember farming with my foot moving the joystick while leveling up in XI - that's a flawed system when you don't even have to put a single input in order to achieve something. Take out the gambits, include the coop multiplayer experience that was originally supposed to be in the game - then the human element comes in, and along with it the difficulty and fun factor shoot up exponentially. It's funny to see people bitch about having to hit "" throughout Final Fantasy XIII, when you didn't even have to press a single input button after the first 4-6 hours of XII to finish most of it's story (a few bosses were difficult, but you're talking a couple hours of the game play mixed with dozens of hours of mindlessness).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast