Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Capcom attempts to listen to fans, Resident evil going back to survival horror roots

This is a discussion on Capcom attempts to listen to fans, Resident evil going back to survival horror roots within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ok...but Capcom, please don't put de survival horror content inside a DLC...please......

Lvl 4 - Silver

Ok...but Capcom, please don't put de survival horror content inside a DLC...please...
    "Roach? Ghost? Come in Ghost. Do you Copy?! Does ANYONE copy?!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    [/COLOR]

Hmm................ you make a good point , if I pay money for something I will give it as much praise or stick as I like . In your opinion it would be better if every genre and game was exactly the same ok lets not even bother making new games any more lets just all play COD till the end of time , there is not a single person wanting the RE games to look exactly the same as they did ten years ago , they want the games to stick to there roots , simply because they liked it then and don't now , I don't think anyone would object to a bit more action but do object to the whole game changing pace and being nothing more than a shooter , when I played RE6 , the zombies had changed , there was not a interesting story , or backstory , none of the characters were interesting apart from Leon , which to me is crazy since the whole franchise was built around the interesting characters , the only enemy from the good old days was the dogs , no puzzles apart from entering a silly door code , I could go on and on but there is no point , we all know whats lacking and what we want , lets just hope Capcom gets it this time , 2 games not selling in a row is one thing but 3 and its dead and buried .
    Here's the problem. I played RE6 and disagree with just about every opinion you stated. Before you get all mad or whatever let me say that I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying my opinion is different then yours. To me, the characters in the original were no more interesting than any of the new ones, the "puzzles" in the original were just find item A and put it in slot B and a lot of people hated that at the time, and having the same ol' "old days" enemies over and over would bore me to death.

People are gonna be upset regardless. I've played every core RE game that has been released and people are definitely looking at the originals through rose colored eyes. It had LOT of flaws and most of the mechanics are dead and buried for a reason, #2 was the best of the bunch (in my opinion of course) and if you think about it #2 was far more action orientated than the original. Capcom can either follow the trend and stay with the current formula (which is far more popular than people here seem to think) which will piss off group A, or they can go back to tank controls and not being able to shoot and move at the same time and piss off group B, there's no winning for them right now.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by skidmarkgn View Post
    Here's the problem. I played RE6 and disagree with just about every opinion you stated. Before you get all mad or whatever let me say that I'm not saying your wrong, I'm saying my opinion is different then yours. To me, the characters in the original were no more interesting than any of the new ones, the "puzzles" in the original were just find item A and put it in slot B and a lot of people hated that at the time, and having the same ol' "old days" enemies over and over would bore me to death.

People are gonna be upset regardless. I've played every core RE game that has been released and people are definitely looking at the originals through rose colored eyes. It had LOT of flaws and most of the mechanics are dead and buried for a reason, #2 was the best of the bunch (in my opinion of course) and if you think about it #2 was far more action orientated than the original. Capcom can either follow the trend and stay with the current formula (which is far more popular than people here seem to think) which will piss off group A, or they can go back to tank controls and not being able to shoot and move at the same time and piss off group B, there's no winning for them right now.
    Not going to get offended lol , its just a game .

What you say is true but I don't simply mean make it the same , the enemies could mutate but still look similar not change completely , as for the puzzles , nobody would want put A into slot B that happened ten years ago , there are countless ways to do this kind of thing in this gen technology , the move , six axis and the controller could all be used in combination , the problem for me is it changed completely and holds no resemblance to the core , the only thing that remained is the Umbrella badge , used cheaply to apply the RE brand .
    Going back to tank controls would be okay for a PSN download but not the main game , the Leon story was very decent , it could be used to build apon and gave me new hope , its just the balance , I loved the level you have the shootout in the gun shop , that was excellent . I also liked the beginning , the university would be an awesome place for a RE game , no need to travel the whole globe . The game looked great and could have been so much more , it was just way to much action , you need a bit of suspense and to be scared from time to time , this game was gun ho from the second you killed the first zombie . I am in no way against action , every RE game has had it . I play the old games quite regularly and agree 2 is the best , why cant you have something similar to this , with the new mechanics found in RE6 in the Leon campaign , less zombies , harder to kill and more story and mystery to the setting .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Not going to get offended lol , its just a game .

What you say is true but I don't simply mean make it the same , the enemies could mutate but still look similar not change completely , as for the puzzles , nobody would want put A into slot B that happened ten years ago , there are countless ways to do this kind of thing in this gen technology , the move , six axis and the controller could all be used in combination , the problem for me is it changed completely and holds no resemblance to the core , the only thing that remained is the Umbrella badge , used cheaply to apply the RE brand .
    Going back to tank controls would be okay for a PSN download but not the main game , the Leon story was very decent , it could be used to build apon and gave me new hope , its just the balance , I loved the level you have the shootout in the gun shop , that was excellent . I also liked the beginning , the university would be an awesome place for a RE game , no need to travel the whole globe . The game looked great and could have been so much more , it was just way to much action , you need a bit of suspense and to be scared from time to time , this game was gun ho from the second you killed the first zombie . I am in no way against action , every RE game has had it . I play the old games quite regularly and agree 2 is the best , why cant you have something similar to this , with the new mechanics found in RE6 in the Leon campaign , less zombies , harder to kill and more story and mystery to the setting .
    If all they did was build on the Leon campaign then you just get RE4.5. The campaigns in RE6 all seemed to me like a throwback to specific RE's of the past. Leon's was geared more towards 1 and 2 with the classic zombies and dogs in a cemetary feel. Jake's was a bit like 3 with the Ustanack (spelling) bursting in and being invincible from start to finish, much like the Nemesis. Ada's felt like, well... Ada's. But it also reminded me of the Hunk/Tofu, extra missions from past games. As for Chris, his campaign was kind of the odd man out. I'll concede that it was pretty much just a action shooter and didn't do much for me but hey, 3/4 ain't bad.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

If they make resident evil 7 with dark survival horror I will be excited for it
    but I enjoyed resident evil none the less
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    It's just like the new DMC fiasco. Dante's hair isn't white so I'm not buying it. Umm my dad's hair wasn't white when he was a teen either so just get over yourselves and buy the game if you're a true fan. But what does Capcom do? They release DLC with Dante's white hair

tl;dr

compare this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYChv2j0Uo

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pWvKx1x1pk

and you see why people hate the new dante. New dante attempts to take itself seriously in the style of a 12 year old, Old Dante just doesn't give a fuck what the hell happens no matter how serious the tone is because the game series never took itself seriously.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I actually enjoyed the gameplay changes of the recent Resident Evil's, the story and settings on the other hand left a lot to be desired. I'd be open to a reboot, because ever since 4 and the "Las Plagas" crap the story has gotten as convoluted as the Star Wars franchise did since they went scientific with the religious approach of the force. I like my zombie viruses to be cultured viruses because - as one of the many compendiums that have been released get explained by the actual scientific community - a biohazard virus that works as an ultimate weapon of destruction by altering humans and their behavior, is not outside the realm of possiblity.

I personally would love to see the series go open world with Raccoon City being the playground and have players do tasks and acts of survival during the events of the first three titles. Make the game focus more about survival, and the horror aspect will come with it in tow. Allow for cameos from the early heroes, situations in which you are able to make choices to either side with the main characters of the series, or align yourself with Umbrella. Ramp up the scale of the title to new found levels, and focus on writing a cohesive story that makes sense first, and then attempts to show off excellent writing, actual plot twists, and player decision repercussions with alternate endings and plot branching.

It's of course, much more likely that we get back those extremely frustrating controls, static cameras, and some combination of campiness that people seem to think were "better" instead of progression, and taking the series to some unexplored areas that it deserves to have delved into further. I doubt we will ever see people happy anyways, since Capcom has the worst anti's in gaming history. It's likely a lose-lose battle no matter what - but a reboot is a solid start, in my book.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 7 - Gold

"Capcom has the worst anti's in gaming history". Aha!! That explains why there's a Why Dante is a bad gaming character video in a Resident Evil thread

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I actually enjoyed the gameplay changes of the recent Resident Evil's, the story and settings on the other hand left a lot to be desired.
    being a third person shooter ruins all horror

just make a diablo styled camera system.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Its bout Fucking time i mean operation Raccon City was close to survival horror and i Hope Capcom doesnt screw this up. Hope there's more puzzles like they had in the old school games. =)

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    and you see why people hate the new dante. New dante attempts to take itself seriously in the style of a 12 year old, Old Dante just doesn't give a fuck what the hell happens no matter how serious the tone is because the game series never took itself seriously.
    Game style and game play still rock if you ask me and this title is still better then number 2 in my book.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    Game style and game play still rock if you ask me and this title is still better then number 2 in my book.
    the gameplay isn't true dmc thus suffers from it. The game is way too easy on the player unless you play the bullshit difficulty levels and SSS rankings are given out like candy. also everyone in the fanbase with a brain hates #2.

but the level design is some of the best i seen in the gaming industry. it's really REALLY well done and the guy behind that should go work on a better game because everything else in the reboot ruins it.

The music ranges from good-ish to pure dubstep shit. i like the static beat in this song (everything else is bad, if anyone can find a instrumental version let me know): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSLkkP1S29o

but yea the Entire DMC Game sucks except for the levels. those were neat and were literally the only reason i kept playing.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

the fixed camera system of the earlier games made the third person way more claustrophobic and oppressive compared to this over the shoulder view.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by beamish69 View Post
    the fixed camera system of the earlier games made the third person way more claustrophobic and oppressive compared to this over the shoulder view.
    Diablo's cam is fixed to the player. you couldn't change viewing angles or anything.

would be perfect for a modern Resident evil. Just use this camera outdoors then a fixed cam indoors.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Diablo's cam is fixed to the player. you couldn't change viewing angles or anything.

would be perfect for a modern Resident evil. Just use this camera outdoors then a fixed cam indoors.
    Never played it. But i thrashed RE 1 and 2 back in the day and they used a similar camera system. So you are 100% right, it makes for a much better "horror" experience.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    A positive step forwards I guess. They've finally listened and realise that Resident Evil fans want a horror/survival game, not the arcade shooters we've been getting lately.
    Let's hope so.. I agree with Helyx in they'll still fuck it up. Capcom doesn't care enough about the fans to give enough shits to fix what they need to.

I SERIOUSLY HOPE and want this though. It's a start.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 8 - Gold

No, not really. Dead Space is an excellent game and it's a "3rd person shooter". Resident Evil not being a survival horror series anymore has nothing to do with the camera angle. That's not what defines a survival horror game. All this crap we're seeing in RE today started with RE4. Bunch of enemies coming at you at once, atmosphere that lost it's charm, enemies dropping ammo and crazy karate kicks to make the character look cool. That's what they need to address.

PRO Member

I truely think it's too later but I guess we'll wait and see.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I hope they go back to their roots because I didn't enjoy Leon's campaign in Resident Evil 6 at all. For example zombies aren't meant to have guns or wear armour. There was too much action in it and it failed big time. I am really looking forward to Revelations in May.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    No, not really. Dead Space is an excellent game and it's a "3rd person shooter". Resident Evil not being a survival horror series anymore has nothing to do with the camera angle. That's not what defines a survival horror game. All this crap we're seeing in RE today started with RE4. Bunch of enemies coming at you at once, atmosphere that lost it's charm, enemies dropping ammo and crazy karate kicks to make the character look cool. That's what they need to address.
    Wait a second, you say Dead Space is a great game then chastize Resident Evil for identical gameplay elements... really? Last I remember there are plenty of times you have to fight a swarm of enemies, most of which drop ammo and health, all at once, in a non-charming atmosphere in Dead Space. A (admittidly super sweet) curb stomp vs. karate kicks is the only thing you got that doesn't contradict your 1st statement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast