Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Capcom attempts to listen to fans, Resident evil going back to survival horror roots

This is a discussion on Capcom attempts to listen to fans, Resident evil going back to survival horror roots within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Resident Evil Will Return To Its Roots - IGN Capcom has listened to fan feedback following Resident Evil 6 and ...

INTJ

Capcom attempts to listen to fans, Resident evil going back to survival horror roots

Resident Evil Will Return To Its Roots - IGN

Capcom has listened to fan feedback following Resident Evil 6 and knows that the series must return to its roots going forward, even mentioning the possibility of a reboot.

These comments come from Capcom’s Masachika Kawata, a long-term producer on the iconic survival horror series who spoke to IGN in London while discussing his latest project -- bringing last year’s Nintendo 3DS title Resident Evil: Revelations to Xbox 360, Wii U, PlayStation 3 and PC.

“I think that it’s important for us to have users’ needs in mind when making the games," Kawata told IGN. "At the same time I think a lot of what people want now is to have Chris and Jill in a game, or they want it to look like Resident Evil used to look like. That’s what makes the game work for them. We should be able to start from scratch and reboot it. It would still be Resident Evil. We wouldn’t lose the essential nature of what makes it a good game just by changing the characters.”

And what is that essence? What is the essential DNA of the Resident Evil franchise? In recent years, that formula has become increasingly varied with more and more action being introduced to the series. Last Kawata himself even stated that the series had to introduce more and more action to stay relevant, especially in Western markets.

A year later, and following on from the mixed critical reception of titles like Operation Racoon City and Resident Evil 6, Kawata seems to have revised his opinion:

“Survival horror as a genre is never going to be on the same level, financially, as shooters and much more popular, mainstream games. At the same time, I think we need to have confidence to put money behind these projects, and it doesn’t mean we can’t focus on what we need to do as a survival horror game to meet fan’s needs. We are always taking in to account user feedback, even when the users’ are very upset about something.

“Looking at last year - something like, for example, Operation Racoon City – it was quite an experimental attempt in bringing the Resident Evil series to new genres. And in light of that game, certainly I would say that I review my thoughts on that [the importance of action]. But I think it’s undeniable to say the series returning to its roots is important, and those roots are horror.”

And fans of the earlier instalments in the series will be pleased to know that Kawata even went on to say, “The most important thing with a Resident Evil game is to bring across that feeling of horror and fear that’s such a part of the series.”

But where does the future of the Resident Evil series lie? Capcom has started to entrust some of its most iconic franchise’s to the hand’s of Western developers. Could we see the same happen with a numbered installment in the Resident Evil franchise or has the experience of Operation Raccoon City put an end to that idea?

“At the end of the day, players care more about how the game plays and if it’s a good game rather than the name on the box or the credits of a developer. We would need to decide what we need to do to make a game in the series – something appealing to the player – and if the answer is to use a certain developer from the West then that will be the answer. We never start with the questions: ‘Shall we have a Western developer do this? How will that turn out?’ This has to be the solution to a problem, rather than the problem in and of itself."

Revelations was released exclusively on Nintendo 3DS last January, and received a positive critical reception – with IGN giving the game a great 8.5 review.

But Kawata was eager to point out that while this wasn’t originally planned but every effort has been made to improve the game – this isn’t just a port, he insists.

“It’s not something we had planned at the time. We were very focussed on the 3DS version for the entirety of that project. But then, in view of the incredibly positive reception of the game, and reaction from both gamers and critics, we saw it as a great opportunity to bring it to a wider audience on consoles.

“The audio visual quality is certainly something that’s been improved. Bringing it to HDTV-based consoles has been a chance to improve the graphics, the texture, and models. Sound has also been improved into a 5.1 mix, and we’ve just fine-tuned the gameplay, taking what we’ve learned from the original game. Generally, just making it a better game overall.”

Resident Evil: Revelations is scheduled to be released on PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U on May 24th.

Negator

TL;DR

Capcom's gonna fuck it up.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

A positive step forwards I guess. They've finally listened and realise that Resident Evil fans want a horror/survival game, not the arcade shooters we've been getting lately.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Right...I'll believe it when I see it.

PRO Member

Didn't they say the exact same thing after RE5

Lvl 7 - Gold

As long as they have on disk DLC and charge for it. I'll be content.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Just release Resident Evil 4 Ultra HD. Kthnxbai.

F**K AUTHORITY

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Right...I'll believe it when I see it.
    That's what I was going to say
    Arguing online is like masturbating at McDonalds sure it's fun but do you really wanna be known as that guy

Rangers F.C

This is good news , I hope . I have just played RE6 recently and it was not as bad as made out but its nothing like a classic RE game , the Leon story was the closest to me being really happy with it but even it made huge mistakes , the way the zombies died was cool but would prefer the bodies to litter the ground not melt , stomping heads is fine but kicks and shit is just lame , a zombie can never carry a fucking gun , never . The rest of the stories were fun to play but just action bullshit and very forgettable . RE really needs the puzzle element back , I loved being able to read files , or even find bits of story by doing puzzles e.g finding slides for the projector and so on .
    IMO a few zombies smashing through a window which take several well place shots to kill , will always be way more scary than having hundreds in each level , old RE had that balance down to a tee . Also a fast moving hard to kill enemy is always more scary than a massive enemy that we see now in RE , there is no need for such things in RE .

The Licker , don't fix it if its not broke

Think the guy who designed this is trying to compensate for something
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    TL;DR

Capcom's gonna fuck it up.
    It's just like the new DMC fiasco. Dante's hair isn't white so I'm not buying it. Umm my dad's hair wasn't white when he was a teen either so just get over yourselves and buy the game if you're a true fan. But what does Capcom do? They release DLC with Dante's white hair

Dante's White Hair Coming To North America Later This Month - News - www.GameInformer.com

So just you watch Capcom is going to make a Resident Evil game with pixelated graphics and cheesy cutscenes just like the old school Resident Evil games. The only Resident Evil game I found to be remotely horrifying was Nemesis. The dogs jumping through the window is on many top 10 list for scariest moments in video games and I'm like why? or how scary is it when the zombies are limping towards you and you can litterally run circles around the zombies.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    It's just like the new DMC fiasco. Dante's hair isn't white so I'm not buying it. Umm my dad's hair wasn't white when he was a teen either so just get over yourselves and buy the game if you're a true fan. But what does Capcom do? They release DLC with Dante's white hair

Dante's White Hair Coming To North America Later This Month - News - www.GameInformer.com

So just you watch Capcom is going to make a Resident Evil game with pixelated graphics and cheesy cutscenes just like the old school Resident Evil games. The only Resident Evil game I found to be remotely horrifying was Nemesis. The dogs jumping through the window is on many top 10 list for scariest moments in video games and I'm like why? or how scary is it when the zombies are limping towards you and you can litterally run circles around the zombies.
    I agree, too many people are complaining about crap. Let the Devs do their thing! If you want change, bug EA, noone else needs to change. I got so mad the so called "fans" ruined Cole's look in inFamous 2. I though it showed how time had passed and Cole could have changed from the events in part one. Quit your whiny ass bitchin and just play the games!
    People complain when games are so similar like the AC games but again bitch when games change like RE. Shut the hell up, stop ruining the games! The only changes I want are to fix glitches and bugs! I think the smart thing is actually to put out DLC to change a character if you dont like how he was revamped. Good on the DMC guys, I hope they charge like $5 for that skin alteration of Dante!

Buy my book, Alteration

Back on topic, show me it happening and I'll show you my belief.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Oh Capcom, I hope you don't screw this up...

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

It's the one time i would actually welcome a game series developer stopped trying new things and stuck to the things that made the moolah in the first place.

Don't see the point of this run and gun thing bleeding into every bloody genre, i know the hybrid game is commonplace in this generation but some styles need to be given some space from each other.

KCCO!

I'd actually love a reboot of the original Resident Evil, with HD graphics and whatnot.

PRO Member

It's not a bad idea, I'm cool with it

PRO Member

Do what they want but plz keep the characters

Lvl 9 - Gold

They already said horror doesn't sell so I doubt they could make this work.
    If they care so much about the fans then bring back Onimusha, Megaman, Breath of Fire and other abandoned series first and I'll believe you.
    Granted, Dragon's Dogma was a great game but they had to announce the new content for it to be sold physically and not as DLC. That alone makes me doubt they actually care.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Rangers F.C

Maxthunder -So just you watch Capcom is going to make a Resident Evil game with pixelated graphics and cheesy cutscenes just like the old school Resident Evil games. The only Resident Evil game I found to be remotely horrifying was Nemesis. The dogs jumping through the window is on many top 10 list for scariest moments in video games and I'm like why? or how scary is it when the zombies are limping towards you and you can litterally run circles around the zombies

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredImages View Post
    I agree, too many people are complaining about crap. Let the Devs do their thing! If you want change, bug EA, noone else needs to change. I got so mad the so called "fans" ruined Cole's look in inFamous 2. I though it showed how time had passed and Cole could have changed from the events in part one. Quit your whiny ass bitchin and just play the games!
    People complain when games are so similar like the AC games but again bitch when games change like RE. Shut the hell up, stop ruining the games! The only changes I want are to fix glitches and bugs! I think the smart thing is actually to put out DLC to change a character if you dont like how he was revamped. Good on the DMC guys, I hope they charge like $5 for that skin alteration of Dante!
    Hmm................ you make a good point , if I pay money for something I will give it as much praise or stick as I like . In your opinion it would be better if every genre and game was exactly the same ok lets not even bother making new games any more lets just all play COD till the end of time , there is not a single person wanting the RE games to look exactly the same as they did ten years ago , they want the games to stick to there roots , simply because they liked it then and don't now , I don't think anyone would object to a bit more action but do object to the whole game changing pace and being nothing more than a shooter , when I played RE6 , the zombies had changed , there was not a interesting story , or backstory , none of the characters were interesting apart from Leon , which to me is crazy since the whole franchise was built around the interesting characters , the only enemy from the good old days was the dogs , no puzzles apart from entering a silly door code , I could go on and on but there is no point , we all know whats lacking and what we want , lets just hope Capcom gets it this time , 2 games not selling in a row is one thing but 3 and its dead and buried .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 7 - Gold

They don't even have to do a reboot. All they have to do is some spin-off with NEW characters set in some remote small town using the game mechanics from RE 1-3. BOOM. Done.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast