Game development for PS4 made easier

This is a discussion on Game development for PS4 made easier within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; t is a well known fact that regardless of how powerful the PlayStation 3 is, it is difficult to develop ...

PRO Member

Game development for PS4 made easier

t is a well known fact that regardless of how powerful the PlayStation 3 is, it is difficult to develop for. Various developers like Vigil Games have famously said that it is a pain in the ass to develop for, citing memory as the biggest culprit. There is no doubt that many other developers have had similar issues with developing games on the PlayStation 3, while others like Naughty Dog have taken advantage of the raw processing power behind the black beauty.

Given that the PlayStation 3 has a architecture that is difficult to understand, Sony had no option but to simplify the process to something that is well known and understandable. And according to reports that is what they are doing.

Vigil Games ‘famously’ believed that developing games on the PS3 is a pain in the ass.
    The research and development team have implemented an architecture that will make games easier to develop for. The architecture will be similar to PC games development which means developers will be able to harness the power of the PlayStation 4 easily. So I think there will be no need to wait two to three years for the developers to understand the structuring and memory management of the PlayStation 4. According to a report by Edge, this has led to goodwill among developers regarding games development.

This could also mean that Sony could possibly return to their glory days with the PlayStation 4 with more game studios supporting the console.

In my opinion, the PlayStation 3 was never fully pushed to the limits. Each and every year we saw developers pushing the PS3 and claiming that they maxed it to the limits. Hopefully this won’t happen with the PlayStation 4 and we will see more developers taking advantage of the raw processing power that PS3′s successor is rumored to have. Sony too have to take more responsibility in educating their first party and third party studios about what actually lies inside the case and how they can use it to develop exciting games.

PC type architecture means games that will be optimized to consume full power of the PS4.
    With reports incoming that the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox 720/Durango, it will be interesting to see what Microsoft does. Sony have already made their move and we all wait for the momentous moment i.e. February 20th. Are you ready? We certainly are.
    Source: http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-game-devel...n-ps3-a-report
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 4 - Silver

wow, cant wait!

Lvl 8 - Gold

Glorious news. I can't wait either!

Rangers F.C

I can understand why Sony did it , so that it did not peak to early in its lifespan but this makes more sense amazing gaming from day one .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 9 - Gold

And yet another reason why even if I understand why a new system must arrive it's sad to see PS3 go.
    It never was used to its full power...

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I can understand why Sony did it , so that it did not peak to early in its lifespan but this makes more sense amazing gaming from day one .
    And that's why I'm so pumped up Hopefully the new Playstation will have much more awesome exclusive (Especially new IPs) games from the early start than it's predecessor.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    And yet another reason why even if I understand why a new system must arrive it's sad to see PS3 go.
    It never was used to its full power...
    Its safe to say that what we saw in the end product in terms of graphics between Xbox and PS3 it was very little , the problem is PS3 has a lot more to offer and Xbox is at its limit , only thing is , if 720 came out now because it has to and PS3 waited another 1-2 years , which it probably could , what mess would it be in ? giving the Xbox another head start would just be crazy and I am glad that they are not , a lot of people myself included like new gadgets and hold no loyalty to a specific brand . If the 720 came along and the PS4 was another 1-2 years away , I would get an Xbox and so would many others , only question is , if they can both handle the same games would I bother getting an PS4 this time round ( probably ) , the point being it makes no sense for Sony to take the chance after the time it took to catch up last time .

PRO Member

Man PS4 is really coming...

-i- love myself.

Amazing news! This means more games! Can't wait till Feb. 20th, really want to see what Sony is going to surprise us with.

Change is mediocre

Hopefully this means a larger library like the PS2 had.

Deathless Destroyer

Considering that the PS4 will be at least 10x more powerful than the PS3 in every aspect (even though the PS3 hasn't achieved its limit - I'd say it's at 80%) I'd expect games to be at least 1080p60 - 1440p50 (doesn't get much higher than that in gaming currently) with 2/4k upscaling. I'd also expect with all the extra raw memory and power that games would be at least 30 hours long (shooters) to over 1000 hours for the RPG's.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

thats good news just hope hackers take years before they crack the ps4
    but ill be waiting for the ps4 slim, my ps3 is still of great value to me
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    thats good news just hope hackers take years before they crack the ps4
    but ill be waiting for the ps4 slim, my ps3 is still of great value to me
    If Sony is smart they'd release the normal model with 160GB HDD space and the slimmer ones with up to 1TB. At least, that's what I hope they do..
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Rangers F.C

It will have to be huge , the next God of war is said to be 40/50GB and its not next gen

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    I'd also expect with all the extra raw memory and power that games would be at least 30 hours long (shooters) to over 1000 hours for the RPG's.
    If only...they said the same about the current gen back in the day and all we got are shorter, even more generic FPS and less deep RPGs.
    Even if the devs could make 30-hour shooters they wouldn't go for it as it would be less profitable than releasing one 8-hour FPS per year like it happens today. And it would get boring even faster...
    And RPGs...well, it's hard enough to make a good one now.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted