Cheaters!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Cheaters!!!!!!!!!! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I am completely joking about the title Please don't close me down. Anyways, I was thinking about something. For the ...

PRO Member

Cheaters!!!!!!!!!!

I am completely joking about the title Please don't close me down.

Anyways, I was thinking about something. For the most part, game consoles were around $200 with the exception of the Neo Geo up until the original Playstation came out. The price was then $300 for the PS, PS2 and Xbox. Along came the PS3 and Xbox360 at $400-600 depending on which you got. During that time though, game prices have stayed relatively the same. Even SNES games were upwards of $80 for some games with alot being right around $50. Now new games are $60 unless they are B-list. What I am getting at in a really long way is.....since console prices have go e up so much, why haven't games as well? Just seems that due to developers putting so much into certain games, I would have expected games to go up in price as well.

Thoughts?
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

I think there is probably more going into new consoles than there is going into the games for those consoles.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

First, your title is too confusing
    second, get to your point without writing a novel lol
    and third I've never payed 60 bucks for any games til the ps3 came along
    ps1 and ps2 games were always 49.99 for me
    and ps2 console was 249.99 on release for me
    ps1 was 199.99 for me

Besides developers do make more money these days, it's called DLC and micro transactions
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

PRO Member

[QUOTE="Oh, you play Call of Duty, Medal of Honor or Battlefield? Please tell me how you can now do everything in the Army"QUOTE]

What do you mean by this?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    First, your title is too confusing
    and third I've never payed 60 bucks for any games til the ps3 came along
    ps1 and ps2 games were always 49.99 for me
    and ps2 console was 249.99 on release for me
    ps1 was 199.99 for me

Besides developers do make more money these days, it's called DLC and micro transactions
    Sorry about your 1st 2 points. The title was a joke pointing at how often things get run through on here. If I can change the thread title, I will. As for my novel, I have a bad habit of putting too much into things sometimes. I will work on that.

Back to my OP: I just think that looking at how games are now, you would have expected prices to go up. Even with DLC, which gets its own price tag which is somewhere around 15-25% of the original game price, it doesn't account for how much goes into the graphics and other areas of current gen games. The money for the DPC is different than the money for the games.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Lord of all Goat-Men

Game prices have actually lowered. I remember my Dad pre-ordering Ratchet: Gladiator ("Deadlocked" for you Yanks) and Jak 3 for my Brother and I respectively for Christmas at $110 AUD. The average cost of a console game came down to $99 for the PS3. A few years back it dropped to $89, and just this year, as a result of increased competition between EB Games and JB Hi-Fi, prices have dropped to $69.

Consoles cost more because more money is being spent on RnD. Prices are also influenced by increased standard of living and average wage.
    Games cost less because A) more people are buying more games, and B) we're spending an increasing amount on post-release content, namely DLC, Expansion Packs and add-ons.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

There have always been expensive console alternatives, before even Neo Geo, there was Turbo Grafx 16, 3DO, Jaguar, even the Saturn which launched at $400 at launch from Sega was hefty. Games have also ranged in various prices and I remember getting Zelda: A Link To The Past for $119.99 for SNES and getting yelled at the entire time by my mother during the car ride home for how expensive it was. Sonic 3 also was $99.99 at launch, so was Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger was $89.99, Star Fox was $119.99. Games were always pretty damn expensive up until CD based games, and then the prices dropped because they were cheaper to make, and that's where many people seem to think games always were priced at.

There have been over 25 years of market research on the pricing of games and return in sales, and it appears that considering the costs (because games today have never required more people to make them than games due today) that the amount that the market has agreed to. I think that it would be nicer if more games (like the upcoming Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time) would perhaps adjust their price according to the demand. I wouldn't be surprised if a game such as Call of Duty or Skyrim could possibly pull off $80-100 price tags and still sell like gangbusters. It's the other 95% of the industry that should attempt various price points for their titles in focus groups to determine how much people would pay for their games, because I believe that there should be a wider spectrum of launch prices for games themselves.

I personally think we're not very far away from games costing dirt cheap ($9.99-19.99) and coming with bare bones content, with charging for extra content, online play, etc; to players at price points allowing the consumer a more "A la carte" approach to getting what they want - while also making the majority of their bottom line directly while cutting out the middle man and used market. Many of the major companies are using social gaming as testing grounds, and finding that the returns for such pay models are a lot less risk, and much more effective at their bottom dollar. I would expect the next generation to have multiple titles from nearly every publisher testing variations of the "freemium" model in various forms.

I would expect that if it wasn't for the used game market being as it is, we would be already seeing many titles launching at cheaper models than what they already are, but with so many people renting, trading in, or buying used as their main means of playing games - it's up to the rest of the consumers who have to continually fork out $59.99 in order to make up the difference. I would expect that if games ever went fully digital or had a one time activation pass, that the price would eventually drop to compensate for the infringements upon our "gaming rights", but it's hard to tell, especially if production costs continue to increase and it takes more people on the same timetable to release a title as it does now.

Only the industry itself truly knows where game pricing is heading, but individuals who consider this to be the most expensive time for gaming ever, really should take a look at the history or ask those who bought games back in the 80's and early 90's and can tell you that for a whole lot less (in terms of the games themselves in quality, length, and polish) we paid more then, even before compensating inflation, play time, and other statistical data. Too often people lack perspective when they go spouting off, and it's too easy to forget how much worse things used to be, and how good we have it now in delirious notions of how yesterday was better than today.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy2872 View Post
    Sorry about your 1st 2 points. The title was a joke pointing at how often things get run through on here. If I can change the thread title, I will. As for my novel, I have a bad habit of putting too much into things sometimes. I will work on that.

Back to my OP: I just think that looking at how games are now, you would have expected prices to go up. Even with DLC, which gets its own price tag which is somewhere around 15-25% of the original game price, it doesn't account for how much goes into the graphics and other areas of current gen games. The money for the DPC is different than the money for the games.
    I honestly don't think consumers will pay 100 bucks for a game
    i think the goal is too make gaming affordable to bring in and keep customers
    i hope so at least

Retired

One thing that worries me that is similar to this, is the game's sizes, they've increased tremendously over the years, and some games take too long for us to download. What will happen in the next generation when game sizes are too huge?

That's why digital isn't the way to go.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I honestly don't think consumers will pay 100 bucks for a game
    i think the goal is too make gaming affordable to bring in and keep customers
    i hope so at least
    Sorry but you don't have a clue...
    Of course people will pay $100 for a game, as Rubicant84 said, the prices of games have dropped and that is completely true. I also remember purchasing SNES games for over the $90 mark.
    PS1 games were all $99.95 on release (the only time they dropped was when they were platinum, even then, they were still charging about $50 until more titles became platinum)
    PS2 games were the same (at the time, new release PS1 games were still over $50)
    PS3 games were $110.
    I believe the gaming industry is in higher demand than many years ago, hence, more products = cheaper overall.
    But the bottom line is, people will still pay full price for games.

Edit: Also, competition is a big part of prices too, with JB Hi-fi easily being one of the cheapest places to buy games in AUS atm (knowing the staff helps, I get stock price )

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyingturk View Post
    Of course people will pay $100 for a game, as Rubicant84 said, the prices of games have dropped and that is completely true. I also remember purchasing SNES games for over the $90 mark.
    PS1 games were all $99.95 on release (the only time they dropped was when they were platinum, even then, they were still charging about $50 until more titles became platinum)
    PS2 games were the same (at the time, new release PS1 games were still over $50)
    PS3 games were $110.
    I believe the gaming industry is in higher demand than many years ago, hence, more products = cheaper overall.
    I have to agree with this sentiment. I don't fully remember the price of games for the SNES, just that my parents wouldn't buy me as many games as I wanted.
    Simple supply and demands dictates that if enough people are willing to buy something at a price, that price is going to remain fairly steady. Look how long it takes for a new console to price drop if enough people are buying it. Regardless of the price of a game, or whatever it is, enough people = same price.
    Along these same lines is why you will see, IMO, a $1000 PS4 being sold at launch. If enough of them are sold, the console won't have it's price dropped until absolutely necessary. There will always be thise that are willing to pay any price to have what they want.

Deathless Destroyer

I thought the title was referring to cheating in games, poor title IMO..

Anyway, the price of games have been steadily going up since the PS/PS2. I have 60/70 PS2 games and they all costed about $5 each, and they were all good (Rayman, Shadow of Rome, Shadow of the Collossus, GTA:SA and many more). Nowadays whenever I pass through an electronics store I see PS3 games around $20-100+, which is a rip-off IMO, even though nowadays it costs millions to develop and release games.

I hope that the PS4's titles at the most remain the same price at most, and not go up to the $100 price tag. I reckon if companies start selling games at that price, games will start to get more and more unpopular at a wider scale. Why, you could nowadays buy a new console with 2/3 games! That doesn't really seem that fair :/
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by flyingturk View Post
    PS3 games were $110.

Edit: Also, competition is a big part of prices too, with JB Hi-fi easily being one of the cheapest places to buy games in AUS atm (knowing the staff helps, I get stock price )
    Its not about having a clue, I clearly said those were the prices for me Smh
    if it were those prices in the beginning it's only because of the exclusivity
    but they have to drop eventually like all merchandise, get it ?

Rangers F.C

They will , I am certain once they can get us all on to digital download , they will go through the roof , games is a multi-billion dollar industry and growing , so its only right to blame it ( in the way of taxes ) for all the worlds problems , if America gets there way there will be violent games tax and you might as well throw in global warming too .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    They will , I am certain once they can get us all on to digital download , they will go through the roof , games is a multi-billion dollar industry and growing , so its only right to blame it ( in the way of taxes ) for all the worlds problems , if America gets there way there will be violent games tax and you might as well throw in global warming too .
    If America gets their way?????? I'm not gonna derail this thread but don't go there man! I live in America and that's just an uneducated thing to say. You think we want taxes on our games or soda?!
    I guess it's still cool to blame America for the woes of the world :/
    [IMG][/IMG]

Lvl 7 - Gold

His post was barely longer than yours. :facepalm:. Besides, you shouldn't go after him for writing, because it's not his fault you apparently don't have an attention span. I mean I really think that...OH! Shiny object over there!

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE