Valve being Sued, Sony/Microsoft watching

This is a discussion on Valve being Sued, Sony/Microsoft watching within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Toggle Spoiler Are you like many gamers across the land that hate being forced into keeping the games you buy, ...

PRO Member

Valve being Sued, Sony/Microsoft watching

Toggle Spoiler

Source: German Orgainzation Sues Valve Over DRM; Sony and Microsoft Watch Closely | The Cinematic Katzenjammer
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

I actually think it's fair to be able to trade or sell a used game, as long as it's a physical copy.
    Suing Steam...I don't think it's such a good idea.
    But the thing is, most if not all games in the future will be digital, so I doubt this could actually go somewhere.
    I do hate that digital games cost just as much as retail copies, maybe they could do something about that.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    I actually think it's fair to be able to trade or sell a used game, as long as it's a physical copy.
    Suing Steam...I don't think it's such a good idea.

EU Law says that all forms of media can be re-sold, including licenses.

This is a big case. if valve loses, it's better for the consumer because that means if you live in europe you can sell your PSN to somebody and sony can't do shit about it.

I think valve was trying to solve that with their new marketplace thats in beta right now, but it was a bit too late i guess. They also tried to alter their EULA also but that didn't work apparently.

Steam Community :: Steam Community Market

sony and microsoft are as in much trouble as valve is right now, which is why they are watching this case. Why they picked valve instead of the other two i don't know, i guess they thought since they are a smaller company they have worse protection/lawyers or something

Lvl 8 - Gold

How would you value a used license to a game?

Would it have to be sold at the price you paid for it? Or the price it's currently worth?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i guess steam could do some kind of "ok you sell but we will take our cut from your price" lets say 5% ? xD

Angel of Death

I don't think they will win. How would you re-sell a license like that? And ehile the idea is cool, what would the market be for used licenses? Doesn't sound very appealing.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdorbear View Post
    i guess steam could do some kind of "ok you sell but we will take our cut from your price" lets say 5% ? xD
    the new steam market is already doing that.

they are also selling dota 2 passes on there for 3 cents apiece.