Could PS4 overshadow all else?

This is a discussion on Could PS4 overshadow all else? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I read an article a couple days ago suggesting that due to all of the hype surrounding the PS4, it ...

PRO Member

Could PS4 overshadow all else?

I read an article a couple days ago suggesting that due to all of the hype surrounding the PS4, it could hinder the sales of upcoming games. Games such as Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us that were expected to be pretty big sellers could instead fall far short of expectations in sales.

I understand that the PS4 is going to be the hottest subject when it comes out but I don't think it could hamper the market that much.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 7 - Gold

I think its not going to be revealed. It will hamper the market obviously. As instead of buying a game that you were unsure of, you will save it for the new console. I think its the Vita Slim or something like that :p

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Can't see that happening - how many people will say 'Oh I won't buy this game because the new console is out in 6-8 Months'

Probably just smoke for shareholders in case of bad sales

Chocobo Master

Since the up coming games are not on my list to buy on release day, I feel like the PS4 will have little effect on PS3 gaming market. Sure the younger and die-hard Playstation fanboy crowd will be in full force on day 1 but that will only force the hand of PS3 titles to become lower. PS4 isn't on my radar and never will be. Once my PS3 dies, am done gaming.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

PRO Member

Some gamers like my self, may buy the PS4 + Game (if there anything interesting ad launch), just to test/get used to new system, while still playing their old PS3 and waiting for killer titles to release on PS4

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I'll overlap with them.
    My PS3 was used for finishing up Dragon Quest, PES 6, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Hitman Blood Money with the odd PS3 game inbetween before the roll of great games started in 2008, if Backwards Compatibility does not apply then i will keep my PS3 in it's prime spot till i'm finished with all i want to finish whilst playing the odd game on PS4.

Up the Irons!

I don't think it will completely overlap everything else, but I think there will be a small effect.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by RedBullLordy View Post
    I think its not going to be revealed. It will hamper the market obviously. As instead of buying a game that you were unsure of, you will save it for the new console. I think its the Vita Slim or something like that :p

How slimmer can the vita get? It is the PS4/ORBIS/OMNI/? cause the president of SONY stated that the announcement will come at E3 in June, but that an announcement could come sooner and it probably will.

I do not think it will hamper those titles that are coming out because if you wanted a game you've anticipated since last years E3 I'm sure that they will want to still buy it.

Platinum Dohvakiin

I really don't think it will 'hamper' sales of games at all. Because I'm relatively sure that games like Two Souls or The Last Of Us, will be on both consoles if/ the PS4 does launch this year. Especially since Sony has completely changed the PS4 coding and said B/C isn't going to be happening this time around. If the PS4 launches later this year, you can expect to see two versions of almost every AA/AAA Game Titles and Exclusives.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 9 - Gold

The PS4 can overshadow everything else if it likes; I've absolutely no interest in buying one until at least 2 years after its initial launch, perhaps even longer. I still have plenty of gaming to do on PS3 which will keep me busy until at least next year, and I only have time for one console at any given time. I bought my PS2 and PS3 more than 2 years after they both launched, so no doubt I'll do the same with PS4.

worlds biggest welch fan

Good news for mirrors edge there thinking of making Number #2 for the Ps4.

now back to the subject of Ps4 overshadow lord
    I'll be getting one a year or so later.

I hope it wont hamper they need a nice launch to make some bukcs back.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Lvl 4 - Silver

Beyond: Two Souls and The Last of Us are definite buys regardless if the announce the PS4...

Forget I Was Ever Here

Personally myself I haven't bought a game since the beginning of december and thats rare as it gets closer to the release of the PS4 i will buy less games just so i can have the extra money for it..i have a few games preordered for this year and thats it just The Last of Us Grid 2 Dead Island and NFS when that comes out not even my GOD i won be getting i want more of games that have replay ability right now and nothing more so in my view the hype is effecting the way i purchase right now

It is time for me to go underground

PRO Member

I'll continue to buy any new games released for PS3 and Vita that I want to play. And I'll probably pick up a PS4 on release day or soon after, especially if it has a strong launch lineup. The potential announcement of it will have no effect on my purchasing decisions. The only thing I could see me doing is in the case of a game being released on both systems, I may hold off to grab it for the next system... but that would only apply to games releasing on PS3 a month or two prior to the PS4 coming out.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Well I've certaintley have been holding off on PS3 gaming & purchasing. I'm ready for the consoles next gen already, PS3 is old ... too old. Last games I'm going to buy for sure are just exclusives like Ascension & Last of Us. Haven't bought a game since BF3 release. Honestly.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Deathless Destroyer

Last game I'll get for the PS3 before PS4 comes will probably be The Last of Us, Uncharted 3, or Resistance 3 - putting me at a total of 20 games bought and owned since I bought it November 2006. I'll get the PS4 around launch, like I did with the PS3 (which costed AU$1000...).

500 POSTS!
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

ps4 comes out ill still be on ps3 finishing on back log
    ill wait for ps4 slim
    Signature Provided By Djunglist