PS3 freezes at XMB

This is a discussion on PS3 freezes at XMB within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Wondering if anyone knows how to help stop the issue. My wife's PS3 freezes occasionally (occasionally being every couple of ...

PRO Member

PS3 freezes at XMB

Wondering if anyone knows how to help stop the issue. My wife's PS3 freezes occasionally (occasionally being every couple of days, sometimes back to back) when she goes to the XMB while in a game. It has happened during a couple different games. We also check to make sure that the system isn't overheated and it isn't. Also, she makes sure to keep it cleaned up as far as how much she has saved on her PS3 by deleting files she no longer needs.

Anyone know the problem or anything that will help? Thanks in advance.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Bob 'n' Becca

Does it freeze indefinitely, or does it just take longer than you know it should? I've never had my ps3 outright freeze at the xbb, but the latter has happened to me. It's definitely annoying. I don't know the cause myself, although my ps3 makes more noise than I would like. I can't help you but I'll subscribe to this thread because I'm curious to see the other responses.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by 957_Bob_Hollywood_13_HFS View Post
    Does it freeze indefinitely, or does it just take longer than you know it should? I've never had my ps3 outright freeze at the xbb, but the latter has happened to me. It's definitely annoying. I don't know the cause myself, although my ps3 makes more noise than I would like. I can't help you but I'll subscribe to this thread because I'm curious to see the other responses.
    It freezes indefinitely. She has to push on the power button and about 15 seconds letter it does a double beep and shuts down. It has had times when it takes a bit ponger to load/unload than normal but those usually happen if she is playing online or somehing is loading.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Lvl 4 - Silver

How old is the system exactly? Have you tried actually cleaning it out? Truth be told, I've never done it myself, but I've read about some people who apparently open their systems and use a micro-vacuum to clean them out or something?

Other than that-- is the area around it well-ventilated? Is it only just with those couple of games? You haven't been able to duplicate it with anything else?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTofty View Post
    How old is the system exactly? Have you tried actually cleaning it out? Truth be told, I've never done it myself, but I've read about some people who apparently open their systems and use a micro-vacuum to clean them out or something?

Other than that-- is the area around it well-ventilated? Is it only just with those couple of games? You haven't been able to duplicate it with anything else?
    She uses canned air to blow it out every couple of days. It gets really good ventilation around it and it is just a handful of games that it happens to. As far as actually opening it, I don't trust myself enough to open it up to be able to clean it that way. I clean mine with canned air and have just as much ventilation with no issues like that. Not sire there is anything that can actually be done but never know.

I appreciate all the help so far.

You weak azz niggs

It could be theme on the XMB. It can also be your hard drive as well. Check on YouTube on how to fix corrupt hard drives. I know some themes can cause freezing or slow down issues on XMB though, particularly dynamic themes.

Negator

When the HDD light is blinking, don't press the PS button...ever.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Deathless Destroyer

Known causes are being connected to the PSN/SEN, having a Dynamic Theme enabled on the system, being in the middle of a game loading screen, sending online messages prior to the freeze (linked with 1st cause), having a loaded HDD and having the PS3 turned on for a long period of time (over 12 hours).

Also like Helyx stated, don't ever try to power off the system while the HDD symbol is flashing. It can corrupt the file data, causing the PS3 to do a very time-consuming restore, though this never happened to me as I never power off anything while the OS is thinking.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

PRO Member

Thanks everyone. I will make sure that my wife knows all of this and we make sure to not do any of it. Yall are awesome.