Legacy of the PS3?

This is a discussion on Legacy of the PS3? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; In 10-15 years, what do you think the legacy of the PS3 is going to be? i realize that the ...

PRO Member

Legacy of the PS3?

In 10-15 years, what do you think the legacy of the PS3 is going to be? i realize that the PS3 has alot still to give to us in terms of enjoyment, but never too early to wonder.

I believe it is going to be looked at as a console which never quite reached it's max potential. A system that got off to a slow start and was constantly playing catch up. With all of that, it will still go down as one of the top consoles ever made.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Korean Girl Group Groupie

It will be remembered as the first time a gaming console stepped out of being just a gaming console, and more of a multimedia device. The advent of a social device, an online marketplace, an application driven device is what the console will be remembered for decades down the line. Nothing else out there in the console market came as close to delivering as much as the PlayStation 3 offered, and at a comparable price.

Another thing that this system is going to have to deal with is that it has proven that with networks comes a certain level of vulnerability. From here on out when people make a network, it's security, protocols, and initial freedom of the user the PSN crash is going to be seen as the "what we don't want" and be the situation that future networks are attempt to insure doesn't happen to them. Still to a lot of people when you discuss that you play PS3, this topic is what they remember about it - and is one of the reasons some consumers don't connect with the system, or unfairly blacklist them.

I don't think that the standardization of online, or trophy system will be held too highly, since Microsoft kind of beat Sony to the punch on that one, so those will be Xbox's contributions. As for the gaming side, I am not entirely sure that there was anything totally innovative this generation, as much as there was a lot of heavy emphasis on optimizing earlier genres and ideas and implementing them to the best they have been. There have been a lot of games that did things that you wanted from a game 15-20 years ago and do it to near perfection. There is a lot more stretching on the gamer's part to have to find faults, than you would have had to of find a decade ago with a similar type game.

I am not yet ready to declare if the "potential" was reach on anything yet - there are still a couple years of games left to squeeze out of this system, even if it's successor launches this year, and until that time we still might have that title that is the quintessential must play of this console. I have a feeling that some of the best is still yet to come, and as long as we don't allow ourselves to become too jaded and opinionated, we can still squeeze out a few more trophy dings, fist pumps, and satisfying sighs before we declare this console's legacy written.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

PRO Member

The Legacy that PS3 would leave from me is nostalgia...With all the HD re-makes, it brought me back to the times when i was playing the orginial version on the PS2...and still able to give me the wow factor...
    ~Aim For The Bushes~