External Hard Drive Help

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive Help within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey there. My memory on my PS3 has been getting low so I purchased a WD My Passport 500GB external ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

External Hard Drive Help

Hey there. My memory on my PS3 has been getting low so I purchased a WD My Passport 500GB external hard drive. I formatted it into FAT32 and I addes a "Game" folder and a "Video" Folder to it. when I plug it into my PS3, I don't see an icon for it anywhere. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong? Thanks. Also when I search for media servers, it tells me there is one found but if I press triangle or X it just takes me back to the home screen

PRO Member

Did you remeber to make a PS3 folder and put the GAME and VIDEO folder into it?
    If no - There you have the issue.
    If yes - Did you write the folder name with capital letters?

Lord of all Goat-Men

How did you format it?
    If you did it on Windows Vista/7 using the regular format tool, the drive will not actually be FAT32, but rather exFAT. Just google format fat 32 and you'll find pleanty of free programs that will do the job properly.

illegal in 9 countries

You can't store game files on external HDDs, only Music, Photo and Video files.

If you want to use the 500GB drive as game storage, replace the internal HDD.