Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How do you deal with online-only trophies?

This is a discussion on How do you deal with online-only trophies? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; As many others have said, it depends on the game. The only reason I never platinumed Assassins Creed Brotherhood was ...

PRO Member

As many others have said, it depends on the game. The only reason I never platinumed Assassins Creed Brotherhood was because I hated the multiplayer so much; yet with Battlefield 3, I spent way more time than was necessary playing multiplayer because it was great fun (and I was pretty good at it ). Typically though, if a game has multiplayer trophies they get left till last.

Venire, Videre, Vince

Depends on the game, but I mixed it up on playing time between SP + MP.

The only sport I like playing is Football/Futbol/Fu▀ball so far only 1 game that I play from our good friends at EA has no servers for the WC 2010 South Africa any more so it does not bother me that the MP trophies are unobtainable now; I play the game for fun and enjoyment!

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espa˝ol

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

I always play SP first. I use it as training/practice in preparation for going online. I like to get used to the controls and nuances of the game mechanics before going online. I just dislike being a clueless noob, but sometimes it's not as useful (for example AC online is very different to SP - but freerunning practice in SP did help a bit).

timezone: GMT+7 ⌋ // ⌈ blind PSN friend requests are ignored

Lvl 9 - Gold

I don't care for online play at all, especially competitive. If it's online co-op, that's not too bad, if I have friends getting the game, as I don't like to play with randoms.
    If a game has too many grindy online trophies, I just skip it altogether. Unless it's part of a franchise that added MP/MP trophies after the first installment, then I might try it out. Like Assassin's Creed. I got all the trophies from Brotherhood I felt like bothering with. I was able to get the plat on AC:R... haven't gotten to the online in AC3. But Tomb Raider, with it's level 60 trophy, it lost my money. I cancelled my pre-order after I saw the list for it. The jury is still out on The Last of Us, as well. If it does like UC2 and UC3 and just has online trophies like "try online comp/try online co-op", then I'll deal with it. But if it has more than that, I'm gonna pass. I have too many games to play to waste time on MP.

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

I used to do the SP story first but now I'm of the mind to get the MP trophies out of the way first. I do not think there are any valid reasons for MP trophies but a lot of games I like have them, so I try to get those first because I do not want to have them holding up a platinum. My preferred method of obtaining them is to boost them, I get them as fast as I can. Only very rarely have I enjoyed the MP component of games and it's usually very short lived. Another one of this biggest reasons I do not enjoy MP is because I do not like having to depend on the skill of another gamer or having another gamer depending on me.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Single player always comes first, as for Online, if it's asking you to force yourself to trudge through 50 hours of humdrum MP play then i'm passing but if a game integrates it's online content smoothly and without major intrusion then i don't notice it enough to be a problem.

The only exception to the way i see it is with PES, i usually get the MP trophies out of the way early because they are incredibly simple in recent versions and a handful of games online have netted me all of them.

Lvl 7 - Gold

i usually try my best and boost them. I hate online trophies, especially ones with shit servers and matchmaking.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

PRO Member

It's harder for those (like me) who suck at MP. I am terrible at it and always have been. For that reason I try to stay away from games with MP but, at the same time, i do enjoy a brief spell of MP. I think that's part of the problem though - you need to dedicate yourself to the MP more than you would with SP because there are others playing who will hand me my arse.

Case in point is MOH:WF, the SP isn't very good at all, really disappointed with it to be honest, but i'd like to get more value for money from the game that what i've had so far. So i started the MP. But there are guys on there who decimate all with stats like 30 kills and 3 deaths. And there's me with my 8 kills and 9 deaths!

It's just a case of do what you want without it becoming a chore. If I don't get all the online trophies then i'm fine with that.
    Cometh the hour, cometh the Mage!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Depends on the kinds of online trophies some are simple to finish and then there are others that are really hard to get by doing a specific thing to get it done exactly.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I mostly don't bother with online trophies. There are few games I actually play online, I prefer singleplayer games but if a game have a few easy to get online trophies that will give me the plat I go for them after finishing singleplayer. Games with hard or very time consuming online trophies I'll never plat and that doesn't really bother me as long as I enjoy the singleplayer part of the game

I do like plats but I play games for fun and I will only go for plats if I enjoy the game (well a few I have rather disliked but been too close to plat to stop)

Lvl 9 - Gold

I always used to leave the online trophies in a game until last (if I even attempted them at all), but over the last year or so, I've started to focus on getting the online trophies out of the way first, while there's still a decent number of people playing the online. I try to do as many as I can legitimately, without boosting, but if a game has trophies that pretty much have to be boosted, or if I have a couple of friends I can play it with, then I don't have a problem with boosting. I did the online trophies for the likes of Transformers FOC and ACIII first, and have yet to even start up ACIII's campaign.

Some games with very time-consuming online trophies used to sit in my list of "will-never-platinum" games, such as Resistance 2 and GTA IV - but I ended up platting R2 ages ago, and GTA is very nearly platted. But I can see myself taking a step back from online-heavy games in the coming months; I just can't devote the same kind of time to them now as I used to.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Don't Bother with Them, though i did get a few easy ones in AC: brotherhood when i was seeing if the Multiplayer was worth it to me to play it

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i try and get all of the multiplayer trophies out of the way before i start the campaign just so i know i won't have to need help from anyone else after i've got them

Sig by: djunglist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    i usually try my best and boost them. I hate online trophies, especially ones with shit servers and matchmaking.
    Absolutely. Find new friends. Boost the sh*t out of the trophies. Then move on.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i feel like they shouldn't have any online trophies at all. the developer should add more towards the Sp thenworry about the MP.

Prayer Warrior

i handle it with a big middle finger. i hate playing online with random rude ass people and generally only play online with friends. i no longer hunt trophies and could care less about plats so i have no need or desire to force myself to get online trophies. if i get any online trophy its only because it was on accident lol

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Bob 'n' Becca

If I'm going to play a game that has online trophies, and the game is new, I try to do the story first. If the game has been out for a few years, and there's a higher possibility that the servers could go down, I boost immediately. There are a few exceptions to that; warhammer 40000 has online trophies but I don't really see myself ever earning the platinum, so I'm not too concerned with the online. So, basically, if I'm not interested in the platinum (even though I should be) I don't typically concern myself with online trophies.

Also, if the online trophies can't be boosted (think fighting games) I tend to not concern myself with them.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm not a big fan of online trophies. I'll do the main campaign first then do the online trophies when I've finished the game. I'm not interested with multiplayer trophies, but I will try to get some if they are easy.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

ASAP! LOL! Dealing with this right now with the new Tomb Raider! Haven't even tried to play the campaign yet!

Lvl 9 - Gold

online trophies can be fun, others can be annoying but tolerable, and some you just wanna go

also, for games that are only multiplayer, like MAG, if the multiplayer is good AND is still pretty active, id go for some of the trophies but probably not all of them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast