Screen flicker issue on PS3 using HDMI?

This is a discussion on Screen flicker issue on PS3 using HDMI? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I just went and picked up the new 500GB white PS3. Got everything hooked up and for some reason, ...

Get bent...

Screen flicker issue on PS3 using HDMI?

So I just went and picked up the new 500GB white PS3.

Got everything hooked up and for some reason, the PS3 recognized that an HDMI cable was attached, but wouldn't switch out of 480p. The TV I'm using supports 720p. I tried manually changing resolutions instead of automatic and still nothing. So I disconnected the HDMI cable from my 360 and plugged it into the PS3 and all of a sudden it works, but now there is screen tearing a little and every 10 seconds or so, the screen will go completely black for a couple seconds and then come back on.

I'm wondering if this is an HDMI cable issue or TV issue? Possibly a problem with the HDMI ports themselves on the back of the TV?

The first HDMI cable that didn't work with the PS3 works just fine with the 360.

I'm so confused.

I'm going to the store later to buy a better HDMI cable for starters, but I'm wondering if any of you have had similar issues or ideas on what's possibly the real problem?

TV: 50" Sanyo DP50749

As a side note: The first HDMI cable I used worked fine with this TV and my old PS3 slim in the past.

UPDATE: Fixed the problem. For some reason, my PS3 was trying to stay on 1080p even though my TV doesn't support anything higher than 720p. Had to manually go and tell it NOT to use 1080i or 1080p again. This time it worked.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by Twitch; 02-07-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Fixed issue
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619