Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Video games making men "pathetic"?

This is a discussion on Video games making men "pathetic"? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Danko1900 Well, you have to remember, they let anyone write an article these days. This man just ...

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    Well, you have to remember, they let anyone write an article these days. This man just happens to be a little behind on the times. He's just scapegoating gaming, because he can't handle modern society. Take this article with a grain of salt, do you really think this man: knows what he's talking about?
    He's a highly respected man who worked under George H.W. Bush. Yes, I think the guy has his credentials. I still disagree with him though. Nothing to get too butthurt over, though. Just one man's opinion.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Wow what an idiot. I'm a female gamer and I can be as lazy as the best of them ;P I'm 18 and don't even have a job or my drivers license; I just sit on my ass all day and game. Maybe he's the lazy ass male and is trying to pretend that the rest of the male society is just like him and besides, there is no getting away from the awesomeness that is the ps3.

Ghost Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    He's a highly respected man who worked under George H.W. Bush. Yes, I think the guy has his credentials. I still disagree with him though. Nothing to get too butthurt over, though. Just one man's opinion.
    Well my main argument is that he's trying to force old values on modern times. It is just one man's opinion, but I think he should have kept it to himself.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

He's pathetic. He probably sits at home and plays Dora The Explorer Online or some shit like that

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    Well, you have to remember, they let anyone write an article these days. This man just happens to be a little behind on the times. He's just scapegoating gaming, because he can't handle modern society. Take this article with a grain of salt, do you really think this man: knows what he's talking about?
    that is the face of an idiot who says the N word alot behind closed doors
    and wishes he owned a plantation or maybe he does already
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Don't put the blame on games, blame the people who play them.

I'm tired of people scapegoating. Stand up and take responsibility for your actions.

PRO Member

He s right but not 100% nothing is perfect

Lvl 8 - Gold

It's not the videogames he should be blaming. Laziness is a personal trait. He might as well blame technology and fast food because all those things allow you to sit on your ass the whole day while doing the things you need to do.

I don't know how they publish crap like this and what's worse, the general public believes this.

Lvl 6 - Silver

*Sigh* Why does the government always pick on gaming? Just because there may be a small correlation between male laziness and gaming that was found through their research but that doesn't mean you gotta blame it on that alone. I'm pretty sure they are just like that anyway even without the gaming console in front of them. Whatever, haters gonna hate. I bet he's one of them noobs that gets shit talked to him on Call of Duty and tea bagged in the final kill cam
    MyAnimeList: Killermachine252 | Sword Art Online <3
    Expand Platcard to see my entire Sword Art Online signature below it

PRO Member

This is coming from a narrow minded prat. He's more than prob 1 of those people who'd get stuck on hana montana or somthing lol and more than prob think electric is from the devil.

Sig by: DaRe_xLw Avy by: Dsluckay

Lvl 2 - Bronze

you know what else makes men pathetic?

Women
    Alcohol
    Work

AND

Pretty much any hobby you'd care to name.

People spend all their time on stuff because they enjoy it. It's different from laziness.

Also think of the most pathetic man you know: possibly somebody who accuses video games of ruining society? I bet they don't play video games...
    Check out my awesome trophy checklist: Platinum Display Cabinet - by schlittmehr

sig by Auburn

PRO Ninja

that is not true, men are lazy if they not get laid.

check my awesome plat list if you dare: CLICK ME!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    According to William Bennett, a well-known cultural commentator and former U.S. Secretary of Education, they are.

In this article on CNN.com, Bennett explains how he believes video games are making the male population pathetic for enjoying video games at an older age, and believes that this overall rise of laziness in males is what is allowing women to "take the place of men".

If you're offended by these sexist and harsh words, well then I don't blame you.

Here's the GameInformer article reporting on it, where I originally found the information: Conservative Pundit Says Video Games Are Making Men "Pathetic" - GameInformer.com
    Well, that's because William Bennett is obviously a fking idiot. I'd like to see this piece of shit live my life style for 1 week. I'm 100% sure he wouldn't last 8 hours doing my work. But I game it up for atleast 5-8 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    While I disagree with the dude, this kind of stuff is written after doing some research, in which they get evidence to prove their theory. The chances of stuff like this getting published without any research being done before-hand is very strange.
    Your right about them doing research or surveys, but that doesn't account for the whole country or world. So in actuality it's still a theory. Unless you make everyone in the town, city, state, country, and or world take a survey, you will always only have a theory and never any proof or facts.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'd never let some pompous windbag set the standards for male gamers. Little does he know I could bench him and his fat mamma!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Another lowlife a-hole tries to make a name for himself, by making idiotic statements without basis and being sexist all the way. GO TEAM!
    Last edited by DoomHorror; 10-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.

PRO Member

Its william bennet whos sad and pathetic.saddo

PRO Member

I don't know, I can't follow how this logic makes any sense.

Hasn't entertainment existed for ages? How are video-games any different than movies/TV in regards to what it does to the human condition?

Whats more is I find his comments regarding the women vs. men dynamic incredibly sexist and offensive.

Attention to both sexists (including feminists) and racists (including supporters of Affirmative Action)...

As long as people differentiate between race and gender, race and gender will continue to be issues.

Why is this about MEN? Plenty of women play video games too, whats more is how are men falling behind to women? Isn't it just not the 50s anymore? Women are allowed to do anything a man is in the professional world. Doesn't make them any better, nor are they any worse. Women are treated effectively as equals from a societal standpoint (save maybe a few double-standards).

This is completely ignoring that this is another over-simplication of an incredibly complex issue.

People are capable of anything. PEOPLE. Doesn't matter whether your naughty bits are an innie or an outtie.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

How dare he say that playing video games has made me lazy! I was lazy long before I could hold a controller
    Credit goes to Wadefan1

Currently Boosting: GTA IV-Wanted, SOCOM: Confrontation, Resistance 2

Games Currently Playing: CS:GO, EA Sports Active 2, Beat Hazard Ultra

Games Soon to Start: Section 8: Prejudice, Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, Kingdom of Amalur

Lvl 7 - Gold

maybe because he is lazy or his children are lazy but absolutly gamers are not lazy

PRO Member

yeah lets just give video games the whole blame for society getting lazier, and totally ignore everything else technology has brought us to make us lazier :stare: you know what..really...i don't give a yes i am lazy but its not just because im a gamer.. really dude you don't even look like you are a very active person yourself
    Last edited by Rune2303; 10-06-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast