Do you like where the Metal Gear series is going?

This is a discussion on Do you like where the Metal Gear series is going? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; With the release of Metal gear rising soon, this game got a lot of hate. So.. What do you think ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Do you like where the Metal Gear series is going?

With the release of Metal gear rising soon, this game got a lot of hate. So.. What do you think about it? Do you like where it's going? Or do you think that the Metal gear series is loosing a lot of fans?

Awesome signature made by Remus1997

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'm gonna have to watch some reviews and read on what the story is about in order to pick up Rising. HnS will not be the future of all Metal Gear games. Rising is just like another branch of the Metal Gear series like Solid and Ac!d. I'm more excited for Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain (which a lot of people say could be another Metal Gear game.)

Fight the Future

Like Deth said, Rising isn't the future of Metal Gear, it's just another project from a completely different developer. Ground Zeroes looks to be the next true Metal Gear game and in my opinion, it looks like it will be the best Metal Gear yet.

That being said, Rising looks like it could be a hell of a good time and I'm definitely looking forward to the full game.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've always liked the Metal Gear Franchise, and always will. I'm Loyal to Kojima and Konami.

Metal Gear Rising looks fantastic for what it is. A really fun, fast-paced Hack 'N' Slash.

Not your thing? Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is going back to the usual style of gameplay.

Sig by djunglist

Lvl 7 - Gold

Rising is just...badass. Personally I don't care. Hell MGS4 is the one of the reasons why I picked up a PS3 on launch.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

MGS series is fine that rising game is just a spinoff
    when ground zero comes out you will see
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm not hating on metal gear, metal gear was one of the games that got me into gaming, and I'll always be loyal to Kojima, and I think rising will be a badass game, I was just getting you guys opinion

Awesome signature made by Remus1997

дурак

I'm happy with where it's going. Rising is going to be awesome. Still need to play through 4 (I know, I know, I'm a terrible person). But so far, I haven't played a bad MGS game. This thread has made me want to play some Metal Gear.

Come here, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, we're gonna be busy
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Lvl 9 - Gold

Metal Gear Rising is a spinoff title which if succesful could prompt a series dedicated to it. I'm not really a fan of Hack n slash games as I find it repetitive and boring. Ground Zeroes will be the next in the Metal Gear Solid series. I'll look at reviews of Rising and see what it's like.

PRO Member

Rising is a beast of it's own, it's a spin off game (even if it's canon) inside the Metal Gear Universe, the series itself isn't really changing at all with Revengeance. And we may see a sequel to Rising. Remember it's not the first time a MG game has gone in a different direction, with Metal Gear Acid and Acid 2 for PSP being strategy-card game.

The next true step the Metal Gear series is headed in a open world direction with Ground Zeroes, and then who knows what's gonna happen with MGS5, so there's a very exciting future ahead for the series.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Yes, I like where it's going.
    The MSX games were awesome, then Solid came out and made the series better. Then Solid 2 and 3 made it even better. Then 4 made a lot of changes and still was an amazing game. Then the PSP titles also improved it.

Rising may get hate, but so did the Metal Gear Acid games, but I don't really mind, since they're spin-offs and not sequels. To me it's the same with the DmC issue. not a sequel, but something different.
    If anything Peace Walker was really different but god that game is great.
    And now with Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain coming out...I couldn't be more excited.
    I am not a hardcore fan of MGS, but the series means a lot to me, and I can honestly say it still stands as one of the -if not THE SINGLE- better franchises out there.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 7 - Gold

Yeah, try not to confuse core-game series and franchise in the future.

I don't mind the franchise branching out a bit to more varied action type games. It would be unfair to leave that badass Raiden we saw in MGS4, a pathetic apology to the fans who were shamed by him in MGS2, without giving us a chance to really play as him and his capabilities. It's also a love letter to the Cyborg Ninja

Toggle Spoiler

. Same thing, cool cybernetics, awesome sword play, stealth an option still.

I want to give the Ac!d games a try, but I can't find them with a case/booklet anywhere local. I buy used, but when I do, I buy with a case and booklet. Could you imagine buying MGS1 without the case and not knowing what Meryl's Codec frequency was because you cheaped out? Mind you this is in 1998, and getting any online help would be terrible difficult.

I was hoping Peacewalker would have been more open world ish, but it wasn't. So hopefully the sequel to that game (Ground Zeroes) will satisfy me. MGS3, Portable Ops, PO+, MGSPW, MGSGZ. It's nice to see an entire series of games stemming from one side story that we really didn't need to know about in the core series.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    Could you imagine buying MGS1 without the case and not knowing what Meryl's Codec frequency was because you cheaped out? Mind you this is in 1998, and getting any online help would be terrible difficult.
    That's when you just resort to the good ol' trial and error. Back in the day I borrowed the game from a friend without the case, and that's what I had to do, try a lot of frequencies until I got the correct one. Let alone the fact that I was 9 or so and I didn't know English...needless to say I didn't beat the game until years later.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    That's when you just resort to the good ol' trial and error. Back in the day I borrowed the game from a friend without the case, and that's what I had to do, try a lot of frequencies until I got the correct one. Let alone the fact that I was 9 or so and I didn't know English...needless to say I didn't beat the game until years later.
    Haha yeah I lost the case before and I went through all the frequencies till i got the right one.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    MGS series is fine that rising game is just a spinoff
    However, it is canon to the rest of the series, and that's my issue with it. I hope Kojima decides to remove the game from the canon as it would make the game much more enjoyable to me and some other people, since we wouldn't have to worry about the story.

From the gameplay point of view I find the game fun, as a hack and slash game, not a MG game.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Metal Gear series needs more spin-offs anyways.

I enjoy the MG universe. Love the Ac!d games and will totally love Rising when I finally get to play it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

It's not really where the series is going. It's just a lone installment in the franchise. Think of it as FFVII Dirge of Cerberus, if you're familiar with that game.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE