Bungie's "Destiny" will be Revealed on Sunday [17th February]

This is a discussion on Bungie's "Destiny" will be Revealed on Sunday [17th February] within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The Story: Everything changed with the arrival of the Traveler. It sparked a Golden Age when our civilisation spanned our ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Bungie's "Destiny" will be Revealed on Sunday [17th February]

The Story:

Everything changed with the arrival of the Traveler. It sparked a Golden Age when our civilisation spanned our solar system, but it didn't last. Something hit us, knocked us down. The survivors built a city beneath the Traveler, and have begun to explore our old worlds, only to find them filled with deadly foes.

You are a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth, able to wield incredible power. Defend the City. Defeat our enemies. Reclaim all that we have lost. Be brave.

Key Features:

- The Next Evolution of Entertainment - An Incredible Story set within a newly-imagined, always-connected universe filled with Action and Adventure.

- Create your Character, forge your legend by defeating powerful foes, and earn unique and customizable weapons, gear and vehicles.

- Unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre and breaks traditional conventions of story, cooperative and comptitive multiplayer modes, combined with public and social activities.

Gameplay and Technical Details:

- PS3 / 360 / "Future Generation Technology"

- First Person Shooter

- Described as a "Mythic Science Universe"

- There will be a day/night cycle. Including different weather.

- Can play by yourself or with your friends

- City on Earth will be the main Social "Hub"

- Destiny as a franchise will be around for a Decade

- No cross platform Multiplayer (Sony vs Microsoft gamers)

- No PC version (For the time being)

- Always connected "MMO" Style - No subscription fee
    The 7 "Pillars"

- Bungie boils down Destiny’s basics to seven key pillars

- Pillar 1: A World Players Want to Be In

- “Is this world cool? Do I want to stay here? Do I want to learn more about it?”

- Set in a post-apocalyptic earth

- Humanity has been nearly wiped out, but saved by the extraterrestrial protection of The Traveler, a gigantic white globe that now floats claustrophobically close above the planet’s last safe city – a place where humanity’s greatest minds have come together.

- Over time, humans have regained their technological mojo and again taken to exploring the stars of our own galaxy: Mars, Venus, the Moon, etc

- Now, different alien life seek to stamp out humanity once and for all, and it’s up to you as a Guardian to help stop them and keep earth safe

- Game’s plot is likened to a series of novels that will each house self-contained stories over the course of the franchise’s planned decade-long lifecycle

- Pillar #2: A Bunch of Fun Things to Do

- Tower: reinforced monolith that serves as your home

- Can socialize, gear up, or group up and then aim for the stars at the tower

- You’ll see other players here

- New engine pairs real-time dynamic lighting with global illumination

- Ships will serve various purposes

- Space combat will factor into Destiny (Scout Ships, Assault Frigates, etc.)

- Game has some behind-the-scenes matchmaking that links players

- Pillar #3: Rewards Players Care About

- "The game will have “a lot of great things to earn, find, and make. Everything you do in Destiny earns rewards.”

- Unique weapons in the game

- One of the game’s weapons: “The Fate of All Fools”, another the “Thorn” pistol

- Every piece of your kit will be your own, from your helmet to your cape to your armor pieces to your face

- Bungie wants players coming back “day after day, week after week, month after month, [and] year after year.”

- Pillar #4: A New Experience Every Night

- “Imagine you could spend an hour and accomplish something.”

- “Every time you sit down to play Destiny you have a different experience than last time.”

- “Vex”, “Cabal”, “The Fallen” are different races/factions of enemies

- The Vex are time-traveling robots

- Bungie will have “an activity for every mood.”

- No main menu in the game

- Instead, it just lives and you’re always in it when you boot the game up

- Pillar #5: Shared With Other People

- At least three classes of Guardians to choose from: Hunter, Warlock, and Titan

- You only play as Humans. Aliens are Enemies/NPC's only.

- “Everything that’s fun to do is more fun to do with your friends.”

- Competitive multiplayer mode

- Won’t be forced to engage in player-vs.-player combat unless you explicitly desire to

- Pillar #6: Enjoyable By All Skill Levels

- Destiny will appeal to all types of shooter fans

- “All core activities can be enjoyed by a novice player. What’s hard is keeping it interesting for your advanced players.”

- Pillar #7: Enjoyable by the Impatient and Distracted

- Mobile phone app integration

- This will send you updates about new quests and what your friends are up to.

Planets

- Mars and Earth Moon as visitable Locations.

- Mars is partially controlled by the Cabal, an enemy faction in the game.

- Whooshing to Mars, the pair finds “the bones of a lost human civilization.”

- It’s “an ancient city. Buried in sand. The precious remains of a golden age.”

- Here to prevent you from reaching any of the literal gold that’s rumored to lie beneath the ruins of the Dust Palace are the Sand Eaters

- Sand Eaters: group of massive, armored rhino-esque creatures known as the Cabal
    Soundtrack and Music:

- Veteran Bungie music director and composer Marty O’Donnell is doing the score for Destiny

- A full 50 minutes of soundtrack material is already in the can, recorded with a 106-piece orchestra in London at Abbey Road Studios

- Some other material conjured up by O’Donnell, his longtime music writing partner Mike Salvatore, and rock god Paul McCartney, will be included

- Most music pieces will be 5-7 minutes each.
    Videos:

Last edited by Blackout; 02-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Breakfast and Chill

Nice, gotta love Bungie.
    Or not, everyone has an opinion.

#cutformesa

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Generic FPS.

Bungie and Activision are the ultimate combo in producing garbage.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Information from Video.

- PS3 / 360 / "Future Generation Technology"
    - First Person Shooter
    - At least 3 classes: Hunter (Sniper), Warlock (Magic), Titan (Assault)
    - City on Earth as a Social "Hub"
    - Mars and Earth Moon as visitable Locations.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    yup

knew they were going that route when the words social and connected were mentioned.

at least there's no fee.

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by owltalon012 View Post
    Generic FPS.

Bungie and Activision are the ultimate combo in producing garbage.
    GTFO troll

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Lots of Information added to the OP.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    GTFO troll
    It's not trolling, ponyfag.

Bungie mass produces casual garbage, I,e, Halo, and the same is with Activision whom produces the currently worthless Call of Duty Series.

These two companies can't produce anything worthwhile.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Just saw the trailer and was about to start my own thread...ha! It looks pretty good so far. Halo 2 definitely boosted me back into gaming. Can't wait to see more from Bungie.

I just want to know what the release date will be...and then how long after that it will be delayed.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

This doesn't exactly sound all that appealing. I see and read a lot of fluff, but am not seeing a lot of substance. The story sounds extremely generic (and like as synonymous to Halo as a title could be without being Halo). The bad guys are... aliens... again. You have classes which sound cool - but again it seems like a silent character in a world with no story, and no real direction for the game to take except a never ending perpetual "war" that has the narrative directive of a Tetris block hitting the bottom of the screen.

I guess if you want to just play a pretty game with rain and wind going off, riding around in re-skinned vehicles that probably play exactly like ones that have appeared in Halo, in your usual deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture the flag, some base capture, and probably a survival mode, you will get that. I just am not seeing anything innovative at all except trying to add some Borderlands' type elements into a redone Halo universe.

I am just not seeing anything innovative happening... but then again it's a FPS, and it's not exactly a genre that is known for being overly innovative, particular in their multiplayer modes, and that's what this game is being built around. Maybe we'll get some unique terrain, breakable environments, actual consequential effects for your playing, but most likely this is just going to be a new coat of paint on the same thing that's been done before.

I hope for the people who are building this up it pays off, but I just don't see a single thing so far that is worth getting worked up for yet.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by owltalon012 View Post
    It's not trolling, ponyfag.

Bungie mass produces casual garbage, I,e, Halo, and the same is with Activision whom produces the currently worthless Call of Duty Series.

These two companies can't produce anything worthwhile.
    i think bungie is the only console centered dev company that doesn't make casual shit but ok

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    This doesn't exactly sound all that appealing. I see and read a lot of fluff, but am not seeing a lot of substance. The story sounds extremely generic (and like as synonymous to Halo as a title could be without being Halo).

Thats the entire point of Bungies tri-series plan.

Marathon had the same plot as halo, and now Destiny follows the same path.

There's going to be a AI called something along the lines of joyeuse, just like how cortana was named after curtana and how Durandal is named after Durendal.

all of them are connected in some way.

also music

http://alphalupi.bungie.net/images/results/eighth.mp3

and hopefully the final boxart

For some reason that Vidoc has a ton of nintendo refrences all over the place.

The "My Body is ready!" joke, 3:35 there's a chain chomp under the tv. for a company that copyright enforces to hell and back they are pretty laid back about nintendo refrences for some reason.

PRO Member

Reading all that stuff is making me very interested in this game, looks very promising in my opinion.

Thanks for the work Blackout!