Expert Gran Turismo Drivers Can't Race In Real Life Because They're Too Fast

This is a discussion on Expert Gran Turismo Drivers Can't Race In Real Life Because They're Too Fast within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Since it launched in 2008, Nissan's GT Academy has repeatedly done something previously thought to be absurd and unrealistic: It ...

Retired

Since it launched in 2008, Nissan's GT Academy has repeatedly done something previously thought to be absurd and unrealistic: It has taken people who are really, really good at Gran Turismo and put them in the seats of actual race cars. Look at Spaniard Lucas Ordoņez, who successfully went from gamer to pro driver through the program.
    But now the latest crop of GT Academy winners have run into a bit of a roadblock on their path to real-life racing glory: They won't be allowed to compete in this year's British GT Championship, according to GT Planet. Why? Because they're too damned fast, that's why.
    A little backstory: Last year, GT Academy winner Jann Mardenborough and his partner, pro driver Alex Buncombe, came very close to winning the British GT's Pro-Am class in their Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3. That class is supposed to have non-professional "gentleman drivers" (in this case, Mardenborough) who are expected to be slower than the pros. But Mardenborough wasn't — he was on par the guys who have been doing it professionally for years. Yes, Gran Turismo can make you THAT good.
    On this basis, the promoters of the British GT have denied entry to four GT Academy drivers, saying that they're essentially too good to fit into the pro driver/gentleman driver setup. Here's what GT Planet quoted series manager Benjamin Franassovici as saying:

[GT Academy] has shown itself to be a great way to source raw talent and turn that into real racing talent as we saw in British GT last year with Jann Mardenborough. However Nissan's ability to find such amazing raw talent means that we cannot accept their full season entry for British GT in 2013. Their new recruits have very little racing experience so they have to be on the lowest performance grade. Their talent, going on Jann's speed last year, doesn't reflect this lack of experience so it is not fair to put them up against our Pro/Gentleman grid, the basis of British GT3.

Bummer for those guys. But don't worry — even if they can't race in the British GT, there are other series they will be expected to compete in this year.

Wow, just wow.

PRO Member

Outside of the fact that video games actually do make you better in some aspects of real life, This is what I got out of that:

"These guys may possibly be just as good, if not better than our "pros" and we don't want somebody just walking off the street and winning"

I would think a higher level of competition, whether it be professionals or the people from the academy, would make the race more fun. Oh well. Sucks they are getting left out
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

That's freaking crazy. No wonder my brother always liked that series. He was an amateur racer, and claimed it helped his technique. Guess he wasn't lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy2872 View Post
    "These guys may possibly be just as good, if not better than our "pros" and we don't want somebody just walking off the street and winning"
    It's not really that they're too good to be racing. It's that the competition is supposed to be "one average joe/one professional", so when these GT Academy racers were paired up with an "actual" pro, it was more like having two pros racing together, cause they're so good, and that wasn't fair to the other teams that actually included a normal, non-pro racer. If it was a straight up "anyone who wants to drive or is fast can race", they'd be fine. It comes down to the specific rules/policies of this specific race, and because they're too good, they don't qualify as average joes. They should honestly take this as a roundabout compliment.

INTJ

breaking news simulator games make you better at stuff your simulating

Lvl 7 - Gold

Holy shit this is seriously insane

Venire, Videre, Vince

A good read I may say!

Sometimes I feel like driving fast in the freeway, but know that some, stuff is ok in gaming but not in real life.

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

Lvl 7 - Gold

There is a whole lot of politics behidn this as well. The "amateur" side are usually business executives or other well to do types. They aren't just enthusiasts that want to try to race, they are people with quite a bit of money to throw at getting themself a seat in a race car.

You see this thing in Formula1 as well. Drivers with guarenteed sponsors to pay for their ride, to the team, get picked over drivers that are actually better, statistically, because of the costs involved.

It's sickening. But I am confused as to why they didn't just sign up as the "professional" side if they were deemed to be on par with that group.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

PRO Member

I hope GTA drivers (and I include myself) aren't allowed in any competition