Best picture possible?

This is a discussion on Best picture possible? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; How can i get the best picture possible out of my games on ps3? i currently have a westinghouse 37" ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Best picture possible?

How can i get the best picture possible out of my games on ps3?

i currently have a westinghouse 37" 1080P 60hz lcd tv
    a dynex hdmi cable and my ps3

with that do i have the best possible picture?

or will i need a better tv or hdmi cable can someone explain?

also is 60hz the same as 60fps? from what i understand that is the highest games run at

INTJ

make sure the settings are correct on your tv and in your ps3/games.

thats seriously the only advice there since you got everything else needed for the best picture.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

thanks any more input guys?

illegal in 9 countries

It might help if you explained the problem you're experiencing.

As doodles said, you've got everything you need in place for 1080p. Most games run at 720p, there's nothing you can do about that.

60Hz is the refresh rate of the TV and has nothing to do with in-game FPS. Most games aim for 30FPS or higher.

Deathless Destroyer

Hertz (Hz) is the refresh rate of what your [TV/projector display/holographical display/whatever else] views at the time, whether it be pictures, videos, games etc.

FPS (Frames per Second) is the amount of frames which the images on your TV show per second. The higher the framerate, the smoother the image. The lower the framerate, the choppier or laggy the images. 30 FPS is the normal amount which the display should output. Anything less makes the image choppier, whereas the higher it is the smoother the images.

The next-gen PS aims to make their software run on displays at 1080p (1080 progressively pixelated pixels - lol) with at least 60 FPS, though I think that about 1/4 to 1/2 will be at 1080p30.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lord of all Goat-Men

All you can do is upgrade your hardware.

Gold-plated HDMI cables are the best you can buy, but they're expensive and I doubt you could notice the difference.

Sony and Samsung make the best LED/LCD panels available, so if you wanted the best in terms of colour and picture quality, that's where you should look.

Otherwise, there's nothing you can do.

Deathless Destroyer

There are a few settings on the PS3 XMB which you can change to make your picture look cleaner, if you want to optimize further.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    All you can do is upgrade your hardware.

Gold-plated HDMI cables are the best you can buy, but they're expensive and I doubt you could notice the difference.

Sony and Samsung make the best LED/LCD panels available, so if you wanted the best in terms of colour and picture quality, that's where you should look.

Otherwise, there's nothing you can do.
    There really isn't a difference in the cables unless you live in a corrosive humid temperature like say near the ocean where the salt levels in the air are quite high.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 3 - Bronze

no theres no problem it looks great i just wanted to know if it could look better thans guys!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

To get the best picture you really need to calibrate the screen to D6500k, which is for the none tech heads = the color temperature professional photographers/video artists/TV studios calibrate their screens to.
    This will give you the most realistic color, it makes a hell of a lot of difference playing games as well and once you have lived with TV's Monitors that are set up to this standard everything else looks like crap to be honest.
    It's not hard to do, but most people are to lazy to do it.

You really need calibration tools to do it to that level, but you can get a better picture than what you are probably getting now with a few simple setting adjustments.

Firstly you need to set your Brightness & Contrast levels the best you can, this is basically the Black & White levels your screen produces, you need to get this correct first because the color information basically sits on top of these B&W settings.

You should invest in a Test Bluray disc when you can [a Test DVD will do, but honestly your PS3 will upscale it and it's not going to be the same]

TIP: First if you have a CUSTOM settings option, use this to set up with from scratch, make the adjustments and save them, then you can switch back between your custom setting and the one you have been using till now to compare the effect of the adjustments you are about to make.
    You will probably be asked which color [Temp] type you want to use as a base for your custom settings, choose whichever terminology your TV uses that equals NORMAL.

I gather you don't have a Test Disc yet.
    Try this in the mean time, Sony Bluray discs have a hidden basic HD Test Patten section within them, when at the main menu of a Sony Bluray Disc, punch it the code 7669 then enter, a Test patten should appear and then change after a few seconds, firstly bands of several colors with a section in the bottom right which is what you want to use, then a Sharpness test patten, then a graduated grey scale, then a cross lined patten that is for setting up projectors, then it will go back to the main menu.

So when the first patten with the colored bars appears press the start button on your controller to freeze it at that patten.
    You want to use the the PLUGE test at the bottom right to adjust brightness/ contrast, it's a series of bars [Most people don't know this, but adjusting one effects the other, so you have to go back and forth between Brightness & Contrast several times to get the best settings you can]
    You have to adjust your contrast/brightness settings until you can see the three small vertical pluge bars (dark grey bars) below the red bar, then adjust the brightness so that the 3rd (right) pluge bar is just barely visible (the #1 and #2 bars should look black at that point).

See this link to see what I'm talking about.
    Sony Blu ray 7669 Secret TEST PATTERNS

Next Sharpness.
    Easy for this, turn it down to it's lowest possible setting [It's a control left over from old TUBE TV's that needed it, it causes edge effects [like a ghost image around things] on new TV's.
    HUE - sometimes called the Tint control in the USA = OFF, same as above, not needed.

Not much else you can do at the moment with the TV., that's apart from using the link above, go to the AVS forums main menu, then go to Flat screen TV forum and do a search for you TV [with model number], you might luck out and somebody that has used calibration gear has posted their settings, then all you have to do is copy them and apply to your TV

Apart from that, you need to do some research on your TV's capabilities .
    Reason is so that you can make adjustments in your PS3's settings to get the most out of your TV
    Things like if it can Reproduce Blacker than black [this effect the gamma -B&W portion of what can be displayed, some movies/ games dark sections can looked a bit greyed out if this is set wrong] .... other things like Deep Color - it's an extended color reproduction on some TV's giving better shading/contrast.

This post is getting too long so I'll leave it there.
    You should find out what you are looking for in more detail at the AVS forum.

OH, if you want to get into color calibration here is the BIBLE on how to DIY
    GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I should mention that you should go into your PS3's video settings and check what they are set for FIRST.
    Then do a search for what your TV can reproduce
    Then change settings accordingly on the PS3's DISPLAY SETTINGS
    Then calibrate.

Generally , unless it's a real cheap TV, settings like this should be OK in the PS3's displays settings.
    Cross colour Reduction Filter = OFF
    RGB Full Range = Full
    Ypb/cbPr/Cp Super White [HDMI] ON - [If your TV can't do this highlights on screen will be very bleached out, Blooming almost, if so try deselecting to check difference - use a scene shot in bright daylight]
    Deep Color = Auto

DOH!
    I totally forgot about the FREE DOWNLOADABLE HD TEST DISC SPECIFICALLY FOR PS3 USERS !!!!!
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs...p4-calibration

Read the thread follow the instructions, download the data, burn the disc then calibrate!

ENJOY