Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

PS3 Digital Purchases will NOT Carry Over to PS4

This is a discussion on PS3 Digital Purchases will NOT Carry Over to PS4 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This doesn't bother me at all. I'm gonna keep my PS3 and get a PS4. I still have my PS1 ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

This doesn't bother me at all. I'm gonna keep my PS3 and get a PS4. I still have my PS1 and PS2.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

NSFW

Well... If it did have backwards compatibility it would totally outrule the PS3. If you have a PS3 why not just boot that up instead? Seems like a pretty small problem to be honest.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 9 - Gold

90% of the digital content I own was either free or I can live without. The other 10% is easily obtainable in physical form or I wouldn't mind paying for again. However it doesn't mean I'm not against this.
    I'm pretty sure I won't get a PS4 once it launches, so I'll still be able to enjoy digital content on PS3 for a while. My main worry is that PS3 game servers go down once PS4 arrives...which is actually a big deal (it wasn't with PS2 because just a small percentage of games actually had online). I still wanna be able to play, let's say, God of War Ascension multiplayer in 3 more years.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    90% of the digital content I own was either free or I can live without. The other 10% is easily obtainable in physical form or I wouldn't mind paying for again. However it doesn't mean I'm not against this.
    I'm pretty sure I won't get a PS4 once it launches, so I'll still be able to enjoy digital content on PS3 for a while. My main worry is that PS3 game servers go down once PS4 arrives...which is actually a big deal (it wasn't with PS2 because just a small percentage of games actually had online). I still wanna be able to play, let's say, God of War Ascension multiplayer in 3 more years.
    I'm pretty sure that the servers will stay up and that Sony will still support the PS3 for a couple of years. I wouldn't worry about that.

Lvl 9 - Gold

PS3 servers will likely stay up for quite a few years until more people play PS4 than PS3 which will be a long time.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I prefer the disc any day of the week so this doesn't bother me.

VitaUnlocked

This sucks. Most of my games are disc but still .

Retired TrophyGuide Ninja

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. My SNES cartridges didn't carry over to the N64 as well. Just download your stuff and keep it on your hdd forever.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Sure, keep your ps3 if you want to continue to use your digital purchases....except your PS3 isn't built to last. Hell, my first one stopped after 2 years of age. You will have to buy another PS3 and redownload them. Sony will eventually disconnect the PSN from PS3 use, and you will be left with a fist full of nothing for all the money you gave them to purchase a game in the future.

Well, actually, you didn't purchase a game. If you read the fine print, you purchased a license to play their game. So technically, I guess you don't own anything you bought, which means they are not denying you use of something you purchased outright like your disc games. Gotta love the fine print.

I still have my original NES from childhood and about 30 catridges, all of which still work. I still pick them up and play them from time to time when I feel nostalgic. I bet my NES and those games will still work long after my second PS3 has fried and the PS3 PSN is disconnected.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Platinum Procrastinator

Well this kinda sucks. I didn't think it would be so hard for them to carry over our digital purchases from the store.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Well ps4 is very different from ps3 so of course it won't be backward compatible. They have said that it is possible that we'll be able to emulate older games through cloud service so wait until we know more to get worked up about this. I bet a lot of the psn games will eventually be playable on the ps4 without buying them again. The ps3 games that are both disc and digital might never get ported, but who knows.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Callavero View Post
    I bet a lot of the psn games will eventually be playable on the ps4 without buying them again.
    Sony spams us with "PS2 Classics" in the store, asking us to re-buy digital PS2 games (which I'm assuming won't carry over to the PS4 since they were not singled out as an exception). Do you really think they're going to offer PS3/PS3N games in a new format and not ask for another pound of flesh?

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Chocobo Master

PS3 will have PSN access until companies stop making games with online trophies and 2 years I don't see it happening. Until they discontinue the PS3 then it will be a big mistake on Sony to shutdown the PSN because no one knows if YLOD will be a factor in 2 yrs of PS4 release date. Seem like some people were riding the PS4 so hard that when any silly bad news pop up, they get butt hurt. It is what it is. Sony please give these people what they want or they will petition you to death
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Well this kinda sucks. I didn't think it would be so hard for them to carry over our digital purchases from the store.
    ^ This.

If these console manufacturers eventually intend to remove optical drives from their devices, they'd better figure out a way to transfer digital content to the next iteration of their hardware.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 5 - Silver

I can see where some people would be upset about this, but how often do you really go back and play a PSN game after beating it? Unless you buy full PS3 games on PSN (which i don't know why you would, they are usually more expensive) I don't see this being a problem. Plus if you wait you can get any game dirt cheap once next gen is out. The fact that this gen will basically be a computer will hopefully mean the following gen will make transferring things much simpler. Plus i've played plenty of titles on my PS3, i'm looking for new games and experiences. As good as this gen was it isn't one i'm going to look back fondly on and go out of my way to play many of the games again most likely.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Hyro View Post
    How often do you really go back and play a PSN game after beating it?
    I do this quite often, long after plat/100%. Then again, I guess I just choose my purchases wisely.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

They could have done it but the numbers wouldn't add up...for them.. PC is looking good around this time with the whole compatibility issue.. It's not a big deal but its a check in the no category on features.. I just hope my ps3 lasts for at least 10 more years..

Local Drunk

This doesn't bother me but it sucks for people who have heaps on digital games.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    PS4 won't be backwards compatible with retail discs either.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Tell me about it, I have appx 100 games I've downloaded and haven't got to most of them yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast