Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

58% of US Adults surveyed think video games lead to violence...

This is a discussion on 58% of US Adults surveyed think video games lead to violence... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; For an even bigger facepalm.... However, those same adults aren't too bothered with keeping violent video games out of the ...

DON'T BLINK

58% of US Adults surveyed think video games lead to violence...

For an even bigger facepalm....

However, those same adults aren't too bothered with keeping violent video games out of the hands of children. 38 percent of survey takers said they know nothing about the Entertainment Software Ratings Board's system for rating game content, and 33 percent of those surveyed say their kids can play whatever they want anyway. Only 32 percent of respondents say the ESRB can keep violent games out of the hands of children, which is less credit than those surveyed give the movies or music ratings systems.
    Report: 58% of US adults blame violent games for violent behavior | Joystiq

PRO Member

Wow. Naturally, blame something but don't correct what you think the problem is. That is unfortunately the problem with society. We will bitch and moan and complain about something yet someone won't have all the facts. They won't do a little bit of research so as to know what they speak of.

Also, if you believe something is "harmful" or "violent", don't you think it a good idea to stop your child from doing it?

My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

1.21 GIGAWATTS

It's true though, i just got done playing 3hrs of a violent FPS, afterwards i tore the shit outta a beef and bean burrito and destroyed a cherry coke.

Sig & Avy created by stupot00

Available For Boosting: Add me on PSN: likeAbozs

Lvl 9 - Gold

Well those 58% of Americans who said that are wrong.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Deathless Destroyer

Video games are nothing more than moving pixels on a screen. You'd have to be pretty dumb for it to make you do something violent IRL...(and I mean extremely dumb)
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 4 - Silver

Visit My Art Page: http://artithan-artpage.blogspot.ca/ You Won't Regret It.

'But I dont want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    'Oh, you can't help that.' said the Cat: 'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
    'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
    'You must be,' said the Cat, 'Or you wouldn't have come here.'
    -Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Lvl 7 - Gold

In related news, 58% of US adults are likely legally retarded. Actually, it's more than that. More than 58% of US adults are morons. Just watch any footage of a political rally for the ones with the loudest voices. This goes for the groups of any political affiliation. Hell, look at the politicians themselves. Much of Washington is run by men and women who I would not trust to make decisions for their own family let alone their country.

I'm guessing many of these adults grew up in a time where video games were not prevalent. Therefore, they do not understand them. People often fear what they don't understand. Now if you told these same adults "Watching Arnold Schwarzenegger movies from the 1980s leads to violence" or "reading Stephen King leads to serial killing", it would be a different story. Saying gaming leads to violence is like children playing cops and robbers leads to burglary.

Really, saying video games lead to violence is like saying making s'mores over a campire leads to arson. No, you jackasses. They're just things that a lot of people really enjoy doing. I bet if you took all of the infamous serial killers of modern American history, you'd find they all had something in common. Maybe they all enjoyed listening to Elvis. Does that mean Elvis led to them murdering people? DEEEERP.

If somebody is going to be violent, they're going to be violent whether they play a video game or not. I'm sure if we took away Michael Jackson's carnival games, that wouldn't have stopped him from diddling little boys. Taking away video games from the sick bastards who shot up schools wouldn't have stopped them. Replacing the Columbine student's Marilyn Manson CDs or bowling balls wouldn't have prevented it.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Chocobo Master

I would like to know it they did an online poll, what age group of adults, working/non-working and what adults exactly played a video game since the Artri type of deal.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Parents have their own responsibility when it comes to violent games,
    they should check out GTA IV before buying it for their kids, it's just bad parenting.

btw, I seem to get rid of my stress in games, cruising over cops in sleeping dogs while shooting the driver of another car,
    if you are healthy minded you should not get bat shit crazy playing video games. just enjoy and stop complaining!

Lvl 9 - Gold

U R doing eet wrong!

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    In related news, 58% of US adults are likely legally retarded.
    The sun sets on another thread.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

> Restart Button <

They didn't ask me!

Another thing to make the U.S. look major stupid....

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    In related news, 58% of US adults are likely legally retarded.
    totally took the words outta my mouth, my question is why doesnt anyone ever blame violent movies? i realize some people do, but not near as much as they blame videogames

Lvl 9 - Gold

everytime i hear this it really pisses me off.

its just blatant bad parenting. JUST DONT LET YOUR KIDS PLAY THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU F****** MORONS!

excuse my language it just annoys me so much especially that its 58% of them

Forget I Was Ever Here

Quote Originally Posted by twistsanny View Post
    Parents have their own responsibility when it comes to violent games,
    they should check out GTA IV before buying it for their kids, it's just bad parenting.

btw, I seem to get rid of my stress in games, cruising over cops in sleeping dogs while shooting the driver of another car,
    if you are healthy minded you should not get bat shit crazy playing video games. just enjoy and stop complaining!
    I'm getting tired of people saying "Its bad parenting for letting young kids play or watch violent games." How is that even bad parenting? These kids could just go to a friends house and play or go behind your back haha thats so ridiculous. I myself have always played violent games and I by no means have violent behavior so that means by my parents buying me games i wanted they are bad parents?

My daughter is 2 years old she watches me play games at times and I have no problem with it she too tries to move the second controller around to play with me and there is nothing wrong with that.

And to add to this not all adults are parents so this 58% Im sure don't all have kids

It is time for me to go underground

worlds biggest welch fan

Oh damn that's a big percentage I think it's a hack.

edit: I dont have kids.

like the rest of us who kill fake digital animated people persons and not humans because that's real, unless your in the army for special purposes

If someone is already crazy don't blame a video game you media jag bags

there's my 2 cents plus 3 quarters and a dollar.
    Last edited by nevetsteven2; 02-26-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Lvl 1 - Bronze

If playing a violent video game influences you to such a degree that you yourself become violent then you have to be pretty fucked up in the head before you even pick up a pad. That shit is not the fault of the games industry or the games themselves. This argument has been around for ages and it's as much bullshit now as it was back when GTA3 was being slated in the media because you could kill a prostitute and take back your money or whatever.

If kids are incapable of differentiating between games and reality or if games make them go nuts then surely alarm bells should start ringing with the parents. Seems to me some parents just let their kids play whatever they want so long as they shut the fuck up for a few hours.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Of course they want to state that video games are the problem and not poor parenting. It's just like back in the day when a bunch of teens would commit suicide while playing D&D. A TV show (forget the show) investigated and found that the teens had been smoking pot for the whole weekend and played D&D all weekend without sleep.

example:

My son likes to game with me and he came in one day and asked if he could play the PS3. So, I told him to pick a game and he went and picked Dragon Age, I said not a chance, why not he asked and I said it is a game you're not allowed to play. He responds with my friend's parents allow him to play it and I responded with, that is their choice and not ours and this game is an M rated game with content that you're not allowed to see or do.

Last year I went on a class trip with my son and there was a kid that just would not listen, he was also taking peoples hats and jumping on people's backs that were just walking around and the teachers were trying to get him in trouble and he just told them where to go and how to do it. So, I simply walked up to the kid and asked him you play COD don't you and he explained yes, how did you know and I said in response I can tell by your attitude. Later that day when we were at the dinner table my son told me that was the boy whose parents let him play Dragon Age and I said now you know why we don't allow you to play those games.
    Last edited by MAXTHUNDER; 02-27-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Du wirst geil

Ignorance is bliss, so it would seem. I don't even let my kids watch me play video games unless it's appropriate for them to even watch.

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

Lvl 4 - Silver

What's the phrase? Nobody ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast