Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

apparently that "No" on a used game block became "it's the publishers choice"

This is a discussion on apparently that "No" on a used game block became "it's the publishers choice" within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Mihalick I'll throw $20 that says EA uses the block. I wonder if they'll just institute some ...

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    I'll throw $20 that says EA uses the block.

I wonder if they'll just institute some kind of unlock pass, much like they do with online passes now.
    I bet 100euros that EA will make a used game pass
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Galaxy beauty pirate

I mostly buy my games new, but used games are a great way for me to try games out of which I'm not sure of. Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise (Dirt 2 for example, got it second hand and bought Dirt 3 new afterwards), but sometimes I don't like the game at all and sell it or give it away afterwards. If I'm pretty much sure that I will love the game, I'll buy it new, but if I'm not, I rather buy it second hand to try out.

If this is true it will probably mean I spend less money on games in the end and unfortunately no surprises for me anymore.
    Sig by Ramon

Lvl 9 - Gold

Still too early to predict anything, though I highly doubt Nintendo will "win" this gen.
    It's most likely that companies like EA and probably Capcom and Activision will make use of this tech, but it's something we all saw coming anyway. Not justifying it, but I'm just saying we've all had time to decide if we want to keep purchasing their products or not.

I buy all my games new (because buying them used here in Chile is just as expensive anyway) but I've borrowed a couple of games from friends. I understand why people buy games used or use services like Gamefly (I wish we had Gamefly here), and it's not fair to them.
    Gamestop's pretty much the reason why online passes exist but then publishers give Gamestop exclusive deals on preorder DLCs...

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Since Aug. 09

guarantee it will still be cheaper than buying new. live with it or dont support the developers that end up doing this. simple as pie.

Dominate!

Lvl 7 - Gold

It should be up to the developers. The worst thing that could happen to them is people "boycotting" (90% of the time boycotting is just people running their mouth's and buying the game anyways) their product and they don't make any money, which isn't really any worse for them than people buying their games used. The people who are planning on with-holding their money are the same people they don't make any money off of anyways so it doesn't seem like much of a risk to take.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

If this practice is adopted, you can say goodbye to Gamefly and other video game rental services. GameStop will also take a massive hit to their profits because nobody will want to buy used games anymore because an activation pass added to the price of the game (depending on how new it is) means you wouldn't be saving much if anything at all. And like one of the previous posters said, I can totally see EA, Activision and Capcom abusing this relentlessly (combined with Capcom's anti-consumer DLC practices).

VitaUnlocked

Ea will abuse this 100%. Almost every game has online pass and I can't see why they wouldn't add an activation pass.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i buy all my stuff new so i dont care that much if this is true, it does effect me selling my used games to my friends or borrowing games from other people, but with the way that a large portion of games include an online pass, even if they dont have a robust online function i suppose this was inevitable, this will kill gamefly and other rental services however so kinda sucks for them most of all

PRO Member

oh well not a big deal I buy my games new anyways. I understand people are upset but these Devs/ Publishers want more money and Technology is there to back them up now. Very unfortunate for alot of gamers out there but games are a luxury not a necessity. Find a new hobby guys not the end of the world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12