Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

apparently that "No" on a used game block became "it's the publishers choice"

This is a discussion on apparently that "No" on a used game block became "it's the publishers choice" within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Pre-owned games block on PS4 is "a publisher decision" | Games industry news | MCV Will the PS4 limit the ...

INTJ

apparently that "No" on a used game block became "it's the publishers choice"

Pre-owned games block on PS4 is "a publisher decision" | Games industry news | MCV

Will the PS4 limit the functionality of pre-owned games?

It looked yesterday as if the answer was a resolute “no”. Then this morning that had softened into a “hmm, no, probably not”. Now that seems to have become a hugely indistinct “who knows?”.

GameSpot asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in a quickfire Q&A not if PS4 would block used games but whether second hand games will require an activation code on the console.

His answer: “It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.”

Now, this could mean two things. One, that publishers are obviously free to step up their existing online pass strategies to block more – or possibly all – game content from those who buy a pre-owned game without a code.

The second option is that Sony HAS incorporated tech into the PS4 that allows publishers to distinguish between new and pre-owned games. It’s then up to them if they choose to utilise it.

While seemingly denying the idea of a pre-owned block, Yoshida has certainly been seemingly elusive on the subject. In fact, the only direct evidence that such tech is definitely not included comes from an unsubstantiated comment from an anonymous Sony source on Eurogamer.

In the meantime, of course, rumours persist that Microsoft will adopt a pre-owned block strategy with its new machine.
    rip ps4

Now xbox has the same exact shit pouring out every week. edios co-founder confirmed it: http://www.thisisxbox.com/360/eidos-...ks-used-games/'

Nintendo is the only company without a used game block

guess that means nintendo already won this generation and they didn't have to do a single solitary thing to do that.

Breakfast and Chill

That seems more like the publisher would catch the backlash of the decision, not Sony. After all, Sony doesn't own these publishers or studios (not counting their own which they DO have power over) and therefore they can't tell them what to do with their games. You can argue that Sony could put its foot down and say "no blocking used games", but then publisher could then say in return, "then you don't get our game for your system." Either way it is up to the publisher.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    That seems more like the publisher would catch the backlash of the decision, not Sony.

Sony implemented the tech and has the patents on it.

it's their fault for allowing it in the first place.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'll throw $20 that says EA uses the block.

I wonder if they'll just institute some kind of unlock pass, much like they do with online passes now.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Sony implemented the tech and has the patents on it.

it's their fault for allowing it in the first place.
    Oddly enough I actually agree with you this time lol. It's ridiculous. Used games are my bread and butter. Ebay, Amazon, Gamestop, etc. are all places I get my games and they are almost always used. It is one of the many reasons I won't be getting a PS4 for a while.

Signature created by: DaRe_xLw

Plats-O'-War!!

They really shouldn't do away with the functionality on pre-owned games. A TON of people (including myself) buy used games almost everyday because most can't buy a $59.99 brand new game, and as a result, wait for a price drop for it. That's where the vast majority of new game sales come from. Would be beyond stupid to do away with this.

Where The Wind Blows

Who cares? Games with both multiplayer activation codes and online trophies essentially come with an activation code anyways. I already need it to get the experience I want and pay for.

Modest activation fees are a great system for offsetting losses while still allowing a healthy used games market. Period.

Besides, if it's game-based (and it will be), then simply avoid the games that'll be using it as protest. I promise you, you don't need EA's or Naughty Dog's next piece of shovelware anyways.

Click for some context for this signature. It rotates the lyric every time it's reloaded!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Voltergeist View Post
    Who cares? Games with both multiplayer activation codes and online trophies essentially come with an activation code anyways. I already need it to get the experience I want and pay for.
    Games shouldn't even have that either, but the console players ate that shit up (especially sony fans because sony is the only first party company that does that.)

PRO Member

It's still not confirmed people, we'll see what happens

Deathless Destroyer

Don't really care, all the games I've ever owned weren't owned by anyone else.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Get bent...

1.) Still not confirmed.

2.) If it is true...I could care less. I buy all my games new anyway.

3.) Nintendo hasn't won shit, and never will again. All their machines in the last several years have been nothing but overpriced paperweights with NO good games whatsoever.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

The only sane person here

Seems you give a lot of credit to Nintendo these days, PS360.

Negator

With next gen consoles adopting an 'always online' feature, it should be no surprise that most games would require an 'online pass' of sorts.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Chocobo Master

Buying an used game might means buying a new online pass which in return could be cheaper then just buying it new.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

VitaUnlocked

If you buy a game used you need to get an online pass anyway. If these unlock codes cost loads of money people will just buy them new.

Lvl 7 - Gold

It's not just that it will hurt those who buy used games, but those who rent them and use services like GameFly. I think it's worse for people who rent, because now you're paying to unlock a game you don't even permanently own. This will really hurt small time rental stores.

I'll just base this off what online passes normally cost today. This turns a $4 3 night rental into a $14 rental. If you have GameFly, it's $16 a month for ONE game out at a time. That turns it into $25 a month, assuming you play one game a month. Most people play more than one game a month.

Maybe having blocked used or pay-to-unlock used games doesn't bother everyone because it doesn't affect them personally, but it's going to cripple a lot of innocent gamers, especially children who can only afford (or whose parents can only afford) occasional rentals or a rental-by-mail service. Not to mention it could be devastating to rental companies, especially small time non-chain spots.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    It's not just that it will hurt those who buy used games, but those who rent them and use services like GameFly. I think it's worse for people who rent, because now you're paying to unlock a game you don't even permanently own. This will really hurt small time rental stores.

I'll just base this off what online passes normally cost today. This turns a $4 3 night rental into a $14 rental. If you have GameFly, it's $16 a month for ONE game out at a time. That turns it into $25 a month, assuming you play one game a month. Most people play more than one game a month.

Maybe having blocked used or pay-to-unlock used games doesn't bother everyone because it doesn't affect them personally, but it's going to cripple a lot of innocent gamers, especially children who can only afford (or whose parents can only afford) occasional rentals or a rental-by-mail service. Not to mention it could be devastating to rental companies, especially small time non-chain spots.

Agreed, i don't have the budget for games that i had even four years ago, i now rent a good deal of SP games and buy a few retail games at new and used prices that i want the most. PS Plus has been a godsend in that respect.

Said it before though, if Sony convince other game companies to allow a considerably cheaper digital version of their titles on the PSN, then maybe you could nip the online pass nonsense in the bud by giving a more realistic choice.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    I'll throw $20 that says EA uses the block.

I wonder if they'll just institute some kind of unlock pass, much like they do with online passes now.
    Yeah EA would be the most likely to do it, if we follow current trends in how the games are handled at the moment.

Developer decision is fair enough I guess its better than having sony or microsoft coming out and saying no used games at all.

I would prefer cheaper DL games than buying a used game anyway if it was offered to be less than the cost of a Bluray version I would take that option but generally it isn't unless your talking steam.

illegal in 9 countries

I don't care.

New game sales are better for the industry and buying "used games" costs bugger-all less than new.

Give me the factory seal any day of the week...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I don't care.

New game sales are better for the industry and buying "used games" costs bugger-all less than new.

Give me the factory seal any day of the week...
    feel the same way about my game purchases but i care about the people who don't have loads of money.

piracy would skyrocket (it always finds a way.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast