Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to stop thinking about Games

This is a discussion on How to stop thinking about Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This is a weird question to ask on a gaming forum but i really think i have a problem which ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

How to stop thinking about Games

This is a weird question to ask on a gaming forum but i really think i have a problem which affects my studies. When i try to study and lets say its maths and i get stuck on a hard question. i try to solve the question once and then after that i get frustrated and start thinking about games. Then i get up and go start playing my PS3. Any ideas or tips on how to stop this from happening. I know its all in my mind but i find it really hard to concentrate on my work sometimes

The Stereotype Killer

Seems to me that you just need to realign your focus. Perhaps when you get up out of frustration from your studies, do something else for about 10 minutes and then come back to it. Fix a snack, try some yoga, read an article. What you'll have trouble with though is getting right back into that focus on your coursework... but don't start gaming until after you've finished it. Treat it as a sort of "reward" for completing the tasks you absolutely need to do.
    Twitter: Stereotypekillr
    Xbone: Stereotypekillr

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Alliren View Post
    Seems to me that you just need to realign your focus. Perhaps when you get up out of frustration from your studies, do something else for about 10 minutes and then come back to it. Fix a snack, try some yoga, read an article. What you'll have trouble with though is getting right back into that focus on your coursework... but don't start gaming until after you've finished it. Treat it as a sort of "reward" for completing the tasks you absolutely need******** to do.
    Thats a good idea thanks alot will try that out

Chocobo Master

If your having issues with studying then you really need to get rid of what's not important around you.

If your PS3 is distracting you from studying then it has to go. Out of sight, Out of mind. I am getting rid of my PS3 because am trying get my Ph.D. I do not want any thing around me that isn't going to help me achieve my goal.

Think about it like this...will having a certain amount of platinum's open doors in the real world like an education will? If playing games is the only way to help you release stress then you will have a harder time.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hawk-chan View Post
    If your having issues with studying then you really need to get rid of what's not important around you.

If your PS3 is distracting you from studying then it has to go. Out of sight, Out of mind. I am getting rid of my PS3 because am trying get my Ph.D. I do not want any thing around me that isn't going to help me achieve my goal.

Think about it like this...will having a certain amount of platinum's open doors in the real world like an education will? If playing games is the only way to help you release stress then you will have a harder time.
    wow getting rid of it till you get your phd but without it wont you think more about playing games since now u dont have it and thats what u want to do

Lvl 7 - Gold

I mean not in your case but in my case like if i got rid of my ps3 wouldnt i think more about playing games since now i cant do it alt all and get distracted even more

Chocobo Master

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandhan22 View Post
    I mean not in your case but in my case like if i got rid of my ps3 wouldnt i think more about playing games since now i cant do it alt all and get distracted even more
    There has to be a prefect "Ying & Yang" if you choose not to get rid of it. Gaming I'd an addiction that many gamers are afraid to say they have. It ruins lives, marriages and relationships if not careful.

Can you really let any gaming console sit in your home untouched?

I can honestly say I do not think about gaming since I am trying to get a piece of paper that is worth more than any number of 's that are out there. You my friend need a good balance or gaming will cost you something you need later in life.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 7 - Gold

i had this the whole time doing my HSC [Aussies know what this is]

Just study for 30 minutes or whatever, take a break and come back. Usually what i do on my breaks is eat a snack or go for a walk. Or even game

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

Lord of all Goat-Men

People keep throwing arbitrary times around, but the general consensus is that 25 minutes is the optimum amount of time to focus. So sit down for 25 min, then take a small break, walk around, have a drink, take a shit, then sit down for another 25.

Lvl 9 - Gold

How about picking up another hobby?
    When I was studying for my exams to graduate from college I found I was too addicted to my PS3 and neglected my studies. Then I started reading. Not reading papers and essays, but fantasy and sci-fi, and horror. I felt that it was just as fun as gaming (Stephen King, Lovecraft, Frank Herbert, etc), and not also helped me stay away from the PS3 (which actually stressed me because of trophy hunting >.>), but it helped me improve my reading comprehension. I graduated just fine!

Maybe you can go outside and play a sport, go jogging, or read and listen to music. I learned that I could actually live without videogames for a few weeks, hahaha.
    All I can say is that I wish you the best of luck, it's not easy but in the end you'll feel a lot better

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Venire, Videre, Vince

There is always time for everything, time to laugh, and time to cry for example.

Set your priorities, and make time for the most important goals, if they may be short or long term.

When you get the urge to game do so only after you have done what's more important to you.

The power is in your hands and only you have the will to make minor changes to your routine.

All we can do is suggest ideas but it's up to you if you want to make the adjustments!

Happy Gaming!

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

arrghhargahragharahg

Think about boobies!!!! That doesn't work though.....

Focus focus focus, and like what was said above, take breaks. But resist the urge to play. It'll be hard at first, but it will get easier.
    Extremely busy at the moment. I have not forgotten those that I am helping, so fear not!
    Sig by DaRe_xLw
    !!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Wow thanks alot for all the responses will definitely try them out. I really dont want to fuck up my life because of games

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

do what i did, pack it away and play it when you have breaks from school

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Negator

Instead of playing PS3, play Wii. If that doesn't make you want to ignore video games, nothing will.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Platboy Online Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Instead of playing PS3, play Wii. If that doesn't make you want to ignore video games, nothing will.
    With that assumption, obviously you aren't referring to the console.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Lol what Helyx said... I moved my wii in my room and ps3 to the living room which was always taken by someone watching tv one semester. I had little interest in playing the wii.

now I'm having the same issues again it seems. I have that gaming addiction lol. Guess I may have to revisit that setup again even tho I got rid of the wii
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hawk-chan View Post

This. Always the best thing to do in my experience as well.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

If its in the same place you do your work just do it in another room/area I still find time to play games with school stuff and like 3 hours of travelling to get there so its still doable.

Angel of Death

Honestly, what I do when I need to study, I just don't touch my PS3. I have a bad habit of too much gaming too, but when I absolutely need to get shit done, I don't bother with any video games at all. Maybe TV for background noise, but other than that, I just turn my head. It's all about self-control; sometimes you got to push yourself to not do something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast