PS3 double beeps and restarts. Help please?

This is a discussion on PS3 double beeps and restarts. Help please? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I was in the middle of playing a game and when I quit the game to the XMB, it double ...

PRO Member

PS3 double beeps and restarts. Help please?

I was in the middle of playing a game and when I quit the game to the XMB, it double beeped and reatarted. I tried another game and when it tried to install a new update, my system double beeps and reatarts. Tried putting in BO2 and when I start the game, same thing. I can get to the XMB, sign in and all that. I just can't start a game. Please tell me my system isn't messed up and there is an easy fix.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

illegal in 9 countries

Backup your games saves while you can.

Sounds like overheating-related hardware failure. Slim or Fat?

Even running a database restore at this point can wipe you out, so be sure to skip the option if it appears on reboot.

arrghhargahragharahg

Not too sure. but like he said, back up your saves ASAP.

My old model Ps3 went out on me one day. It was fine, and one day I turned it on and there was the dreaded Red Screen!!

Good luck!
    Extremely busy at the moment. I have not forgotten those that I am helping, so fear not!
    Sig by DaRe_xLw
    !!

PRO Member

wow tough break ..hell my new one for some reason tonight stopped reading usb's..I'll check it again tomorrow but it looks like all the work i put into strikeforce and doa5 today might be for nothing if i can't get the usb to be read in the morning.

Lvl 4 - Silver

My PS3 that died last week used to do a double beep and restart almost every time I quit a game. Be prepared for the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Backup your games saves while you can.

Sounds like overheating-related hardware failure. Slim or Fat?

Even running a database restore at this point can wipe you out, so be sure to skip the option if it appears on reboot.
    It's a slim. Roughly a year and a half old. I will back up everything asap. I just hook up my external harddrive to do it?
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy2872 View Post
    It's a slim. Roughly a year and a half old. I will back up everything asap. I just hook up my external harddrive to do it?
    Yes, but it must be formatted to FAT32 so the PS3 would recognize it. Here's a link for you to follow:

How to Add an External Hard Drive to a PlayStation 3: 11 steps

Hoped I helped

illegal in 9 countries

It's unlikely to be the YLoD in that case.

Backing up your entire PS3 can take hours and it's completely unreliable. You may not have the PS3 up long enough to take a full copy so don't bother.

To backup just your Game Saves, whack a FAT32 formatted USB stick in your PS3. Then hit on a save file, use the bulk select option and copy them to USB. Some will be copy-protected. The only way to reliably back them up is to either upload to PS+ (the easy option) or do a system migration to another PS3 (crappy option).

Once you've got your game saves (everything else can be redownloaded or reinstalled) and have synced your trophies to the PSN, go into the Recovery Menu and run Rebuild Database. If that fails to fix the problem, try Restore File System. As a last resort, try options 2 and 5 - they'll reset your PS3 to a clean install.

Hopefully that'll fix your issue. If not, you can rule out the software layer (Operating System, Game Files etc) and can get the thing fixed if it's still hard-rebooting.

Du wirst geil

^^ Beat me too it I've always done this if my PS3 is going haywire. Usually sorts the problems out.

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

PRO Member

Warning: if you have purchased TV shows or movies on your PS3, there is no way I have been able to figure out to get them back once you restore your PS3. Apparently if you call Sony they will let you re-download them once...
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

PRO Member

I really appreciate the help guys. Just need to get it all backed up now. I was more worried that my system was creeping towards YloD.

♚ Overlord ♔

I really appreciate the help guys. Just need to get it all backed up now. I was more worried that my system was creeping towards YloD.
    Glad to hear its not hitting the big bad YLOD. You should clean your system frequently if this keeps happening because I believe It could have been your Ps3 overheating. Maintenance is necessary for a long-lasting Ps3. I have a Ps3 slim thats 2 and a half years now

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-murderer234 View Post
    Glad to hear its not hitting the big bad YLOD. You should clean your system frequently if this keeps happening because I believe It could have been your Ps3 overheating. Maintenance is necessary for a long-lasting Ps3. I have a Ps3 slim thats 2 and a half years now
    I blow it out about once a week wih air. I've never opened it up to clean it if that is even possible. I also try to keep it somewhere with a bit of air flow. Not sure what happened last night as that is the first time it ever happened. Freaked me out.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

your ps3 is probably on it's way sorry

Sig by: djunglist

Lvl 4 - Silver

You can do something where your PS3 essentially blows out all the crap inside it, search fan clean on youtube or something, I've done it a few times, someone once told me it fucked up your PS3 but i've had mine 4 and a half years, an old slim version when they were new out and nothing has ever happened to it hardware wise since!
    Because Trophies are amazing...