Results 1 to 14 of 14

Is there any alternative way to download a game update?

This is a discussion on Is there any alternative way to download a game update? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've been trying to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 online for days but it requieres an almost 2GB update. You ...

  1. #1
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    Is there any alternative way to download a game update?

    I've been trying to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 online for days but it requieres an almost 2GB update. You start the game and need to update. I have a good connection and everything downloads fast when it's from the Store, but when it's an "in-game" update like this and so big it just stops at one point, usually around 30%. A few days ago I left it downloading with an estimated time of 150 minutes, came back 4 hours later and it was an estimated 550 minutes. It's very frustrating and I simply can't play online.

    Is there any other way to download these game updates? Or a way to stop this from happening? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.


  2. #2
    Lord of all Goat-Men
    Faust's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,376
    Reputation
    351

    As far as I know, the only updates you can download externally are PS System updates, which can be downloaded on a PC and copied onto a USB stick or external hard-drive and then installed. Game updates, unfortunately, must be downloaded on your console.

    Is your connection wired? If not, try a wired connection. Also try resetting your router, and making sure that all appropriate ports are open.

  3. #3
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    I've tried wiring it, resetting everything, everything is in it's place... hell I even downloaded InFamous 2 from the store which is 15GB a few days ago with no problem. I guess I'll have to leave it downloading all day... at least I hope it doesn't take literally all day


  4. #4
    Breakfast and Chill
    Vettes's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,390
    Reputation
    229

    doesn't PS+ automatically download game updates from the last 5 games you've played?
    Last edited by vettes_4-ever; 03-09-2013 at 03:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Legalize it...
    JDizzle0420's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,255
    Reputation
    294

    Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    down't PS+ automatically download game updates from the last 5 games you've played?
    Mine seems to update any game that gets an update...

  6. #6
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    doesn't PS+ automatically download game updates from the last 5 games you've played?
    The thing is I haven't played Battlefield in a lot of time, I think October, since I gave it to a friend of mine before I was a PS+ member and I just got it back a few days ago, other game updates are working just fine


  7. #7
    Breakfast and Chill
    Vettes's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,390
    Reputation
    229

    Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    The thing is I haven't played Battlefield in a lot of time, I think October, since I gave it to a friend of mine before I was a PS+ member and I just got it back a few days ago, other game updates are working just fine
    That would be an issue...

  8. #8
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    You can download game updates on PC or Mac, but it requires jailbreaking your PS3. Doing that with an OFW later than 3.55 can only be achieved using a modchip which varies in difficulty from moderate to impossible depending on your model. Then, when you've successfully managed to jailbreak your PS3, upgrade to the latest CFW and download & install the BF2 patch, you'll need to upgrade to OFW if you ever want to play online again without the risk of a console and PSN ID ban.

    Long story short - yes you can, but it's not worth the effort.

  9. #9
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    You can download game updates on PC or Mac, but it requires jailbreaking your PS3. Doing that with an OFW later than 3.55 can only be achieved using a modchip which varies in difficulty from moderate to impossible depending on your model. Then, when you've successfully managed to jailbreak your PS3, upgrade to the latest CFW and download & install the BF2 patch, you'll need to upgrade to OFW if you ever want to play online again without the risk of a console and PSN ID ban.

    Long story short - yes you can, but it's not worth the effort.
    Yeah no way I'm doing that, thanks for the detailed reply though


    I'll just keep trying and/or leave it all day, I'll post here again if something happens, thanks for the replies everyone


  10. #10
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    144
    Reputation
    2

    Just a suggestion, try going onto your internet browser and clearing your cache and browsing history
    Currently working on getting the Platinum's:
    -Far Cry 3
    -Ridge Racer: Unbounded (Looking for boosting partners for the 8 player online trophies. If interested contact me. PSN: NASCARfan247)

  11. #11
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    Ahmed_Mans's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    284
    Reputation
    12

    There actually IS a way, I personally used it to download the recent Battlefield 3 1.09 update which is like 2gb and it works like a charm.
    I uploaded the program and .net framework 1.1 that it needs (the latest 4.5 didn't work for me so just install the one I put in the file).

    Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y4e314dm2...y%20Server.rar

    Instructions here: PS3Blog.co.za*|* How to Download Game Patches and Updates via Your PC

    Good luck





  12. #12
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_Mans View Post
    There actually IS a way, I personally used it to download the recent Battlefield 3 1.09 update which is like 2gb and it works like a charm.
    I uploaded the program and .net framework 1.1 that it needs (the latest 4.5 didn't work for me so just install the one I put in the file).

    Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y4e314dm2...oxy Server.rar

    Instructions here: PS3Blog.co.za*|* How to Download Game Patches and Updates via Your PC

    Good luck

    Thanks a lot, someone already sent me this via PM and I've checked it out, I'm gonna try a couple more times and if it stil not work then I'll be using this


  13. #13
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    FINALLY I managed to download it just like always, I'm glad I didn't have to do anything weird with my PS3. This can be closed now, thanks everyone who tried to help.


  14. #14
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    georget1996's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    136
    Reputation
    5

    im having the same problem with Resistance 3 when i try to install

    Sig by: djunglist

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO