Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars: First Assault Leaked, If game is successful it will put Battlefront 3 back in production.

This is a discussion on Star Wars: First Assault Leaked, If game is successful it will put Battlefront 3 back in production. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Leaked Star Wars Game Is 'Predecessor' To Battlefront III, Source Says Last October, we saw a listing for Star Wars: ...

INTJ

Star Wars: First Assault Leaked, If game is successful it will put Battlefront 3 back in production.

Leaked Star Wars Game Is 'Predecessor' To Battlefront III, Source Says

Last October, we saw a listing for Star Wars: First Assault, an unannounced Xbox Live Arcade game developed by LucasArts.

Today, Kotaku can reveal that Star Wars: First Assault is a downloadable multiplayer shooter that was originally slated for release this spring. The game supports up to 16 players—one eight-person team of rebels and one eight-person team of Stormtroopers—as they face off on Star Wars worlds like Bespin and Tatooine.

And according to one person familiar with the project, First Assault is "step zero" to the heavily-rumored, highly-anticipated Star Wars: Battlefront III. If First Assault sells well—assuming it is released at all—the third Battlefront could be next.

A few weeks ago, Kotaku reported on the status of Star Wars 1313, a game that could be in trouble thanks to unrest and uncertainty at LucasArts, the storied studio that has developed or published every official Star Wars video game to date. We mentioned a Call of Duty-style first-person shooter codenamed "Trigger."

That's First Assault. And according to our source, who is familiar with the project but says he is "no longer familiar with the goings-on" at LucasArts, this game is a downloadable "predecessor" to Battlefront III—part of the studio's strategy to show that there's a market for Star Wars shooters running on the Unreal Engine.

The story of Star Wars: Battlefront III is long and well-documented. Commissioned as the third game in the Battlefront shooter series, Battlefront III has bounced from developer to developer over the past few years. Although LucasArts has yet to officially announce the game, leaked footage and images show what could have been, and development studio Free Radical has claimed the game was 99% finished when LucasArts killed it.

Star Wars: First Assault, our source says, would lead up to Battlefront III. This new Battlefront would use nothing from the Battlefront III that has already been in production at studios like Free Radical and Slant Six, our source says. Instead, LucasArts would build Battlefront III based on code from First Assault.

According to our source, a small team has already been prototyping vehicles for Battlefront III. Current code allows you to fly a TIE Fighter or ride an AT-ST walker.

There are no vehicles in First Assault, nor are there Jedi. LucasArts intentionally decided not to use the Battlefront name so expectations wouldn't be too high, our source says. And the game is almost done.

But Star Wars: First Assault may never actually make it out of the studio.

Last September, when executives at LucasFilm—the parent company of LucasArts—found out that Disney had signed an agreement to purchase the company, things got murky. LucasFilm froze all hiring and new game announcements, our source says. They had planned to announce First Assault and launch a closed beta by the end of September—which explains the Xbox listing leak on October 1—and First Assault was supposed to be out this spring.

So since September, employees at LucasArts have been working on the game with no knowledge as to whether or not it will actually come out. According to our source, LucasArts is "bleeding talent" as employees wait to see what executives at Disney and LucasFilm want to do with First Assault and other games the studio is working on.

The status of First Assault—like the status of Star Wars 1313 and other projects that LucasArts is currently working on—remains unclear today. The new direction of LucasFilm is also unclear—just today, the company announced that they would no longer be releasing new episodes of the Clone Wars television show on Cartoon Network.

We've reached out to LucasArts for comment and will update should we hear back from them.

For now, our source says, the only way to get games like First Assault out of carbonite might be for Star Wars fans to speak up.

"Fans should tell Disney/Lucas loud and clear they don't want shitty titles from random developers; they want games to be taken seriously, and they will only pay for quality," the source said. "I believe that if Disney/Lucas lets LucasArts die, it means the death of Star Wars as a storied game franchise is right behind it."

reminds me of the call of duty MW mod that turned cod into star wars.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I would love to see battlefront 3.

Kiwi Defender

Well, I can't judge the game yet, but the pics are very good looking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    reminds me of the call of duty MW mod that turned cod into star wars.
    Always wanted to try that one.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I hope this comes out and sells well so we have Battlefront 3... it's still good news!

Korean Girl Group Groupie

This world needs more crapped out FPS's like Snooki needs to procreate. Lord knows that both are going to happen either way so there's no stopping this.

Last thing I think of with Star Wars is FPS on the franchises various locales, but it appears that this stuff sells to the general populous, so it will continue to be the type of content we get. I'd like a Star Wars game with cool light saber mechanics, but then again - that just makes too much sense.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I feel like I'm being bribed or something, buy X & you'll get A. NO! GIVE ME A! NOW I WANT IT NOW!! I WANT CAKE NOW!!! oh, sorry. I mean A!!!

On a serious note, I'll take a Star Wars fps (in hopes it's actually good) ANY day over another COD game.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

A controversial opinion I'm sure, but I'd honestly buy this game and eagerly play a Battlefront 3 (assuming its not a hackneyed, rushed pile of crap). I liked both of the previous SW BF titles and honestly the modern-era shooter has played out. Give me some spice in a unique environment, and if there is one thing SW can still do its provide unique environments.

I hope Disney finishes this (key) and releases it. I also hope they don't kill SW 1313.

Side-stories are CRITICAL to a sustainable star wars brand, this is (honestly) what Lucas himself failed to realize. When SW was at its height it had a lot of people contributing to it in a lot of different ways and the side content and canon couldn't have been bigger. If Disney decides to kill these titles, the brand will slowly die. Even when Lucas was slowly sucking the originality out of SW he still had LucasArts cranking out many quality games because he recognized how critical the interactivity with the brand is.

SW is an adventure title at its core, this isn't some slow, brooding, complex sci-fi or some trippy alternative indie flick. SW is about going on a quest, on an adventure, and that screams interactivity. People want to live through being a Jedi on Yavin or being a smuggler on the outer rim, the rich universe of SW just pulls people in when done well.

Particularly when you consider how much a well developed game can net profit wise, if this is a simple 8-on-8 MP shooter... Imagine the profit potential of this game if it was 10 bucks or 15 bucks on PSN! A MP-only shooter like that can be cranked out quickly, still be high quality, and at a low price point every PS3/360 owner is going to want to play it. All you really have to do is 4 or 5 classes and have maybe 6-10 weapons, add 3 or 4 well designed maps and it'd be worth 10 bucks to any reasonable gamer (again... ASSUMING it isn't thrown together and rushed out). You could have staying power by using it as a platform to help launch other SW titles.

Oh, BF3 is coming out? First Assault gets a little add-on that adds a vehicle to the maps (free).
    1313 is coming out? Hmm, First Assault gets a little add-on that adds a new weapon and character skin from the game (free).
    SW EP 7 is being announced? Have a weekend event where you have big reveals of new sets and scenery by having First Assault players interact with it in game!

You could even make these things unlocks that encourage people to play and interact with your advertising and the potential for this title could be insurmountable as a vehicle to promote the SW brand because thats what gamers love... Unlocking shit.

This is cheap, effective advertising and self-generates hype. Particularly when you consider how much money commercials and other adverts cost. If you have a well done platform in this little game, you have advertising that people will pay you for! Plus its interactive so people will be more engaged with your brand than any commercial could ever hope to achieve. Whats more is (so long as its handled properly) people won't mind being advertised to because you are providing them value. Nobody in their right mind is going to complain about you advertising SW EP 7 out the ass if you're adding a bunch of new stuff to the maps for a game they already like, and if you have a good foundation in your development process that can be cranked out by developers in less time and for less money than it takes to get a commercial on air.

Seriously, am I the only one who thinks killing stuff like this is an irresponsibly stupid idea? And they already have the framework there, just make a good game as your foundation and price it attractively and people will come to you in droves. All the evidence you need is over at Valve, you just need to adapt it to your game.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Last thing I think of with Star Wars is FPS on the franchises various locales, but it appears that this stuff sells to the general populous, so it will continue to be the type of content we get. I'd like a Star Wars game with cool light saber mechanics, but then again - that just makes too much sense.

my favorite star wars game. Which is a Tactical FPS game where you manage a squad of Troopers.

star wars is perfect for FPS games. every star wars game doesn't need jedi shit every 5 minutes

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Star Wars Jedi Academy or Star Wars Jedi Knight 2...
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Text wall full of wishful thinking.
    You're thinking too far ahead. Disney's not that intelligent, let alone generous. Just look at what they're doing with Marvel.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Just look at what they're doing with Marvel.
    only thing i seen was like tron-inspired drawings and thats about it.

star wars and disney have been in bed with each other for like 2 decades now. disney world rides, stupid star wars jedi statues at disney art stores, etc.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Would love to see this game play good online.
    Loved the shit out of Republic Commando, my second favorite Star Wars game after Jedi Knight2: Jedi Outcast.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    only thing i seen was like tron-inspired drawings and thats about it.

star wars and disney have been in bed with each other for like 2 decades now. disney world rides, stupid star wars jedi statues at disney art stores, etc.
    Yeah, and you hardly read comics whatsoever. Then there's also crap like "Phineas & Pherb meet the Avengers" or whatever they called it.

And they suck.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Yeah, and you hardly read comics whatsoever. Then there's also crap like "Phineas & Pherb meet the Avengers" or whatever they called it.

And they suck.
    oh no non-canon content

just like how the red team in team fortress 2 went to a apple store and ended up destroying the moon in the process while saxton hale murders steve jobs. terrorism

Since Aug. 09

hope theres no trophies...more than half this site wouldnt get it, even if it was awesome. sadly.

Dominate!

Lvl 9 - Gold

I want it. Looks like a bit of fun. And if it makes BF3 come out? Sure.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

PRO Member

3 new screenshots

Kiwi Defender

How far is the game in development? This are seriously looking too great for a game that appeared almost out of nowhere recently.

Oh no, its more than them just creating non-canon crap by selling off the characters as if they were whores. I mean what they're doing with the comics. You know, the ones that are canon and made Marvel the mega-overrated piece of publisher they're now.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Oh no, its more than them just creating non-canon crap by selling off the characters as if they were whores. I mean what they're doing with the comics. You know, the ones that are canon and made Marvel the mega-overrated piece of publisher they're now.
    as long as it's non-canon i don't care if they breakdance for shits and giggles at disneyworld.

oh hey, that reminds me about what this thread is about, star wars.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast