Franchises and reboots: Your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Franchises and reboots: Your thoughts? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; With series such as COD and AC literally pumping out a game every year (or close to it), when do ...

PRO Member

Franchises and reboots: Your thoughts?

With series such as COD and AC literally pumping out a game every year (or close to it), when do you think a series has reached it's limit? I know alot of people who don't like or won't play COD due to it essentially being the same thing (more so with MP than with SP) each game.

I feel a series has reached t's limit when absolutely nothing new is being brought to it. I don't mind staying in the same time period or whatnot but it seems that after a game's trilogy has happened, they don't know what to do and make a half assed game. Obviously there are exceptions (Final Fantasy for one) in which the series offers something freah or can keep the story so inviting that it can go forever.

As far as reboots, Tomb Raider has seemed to pull it off wonderfully from what I have read as I haven't played it yet. Then others like Duke Nukem can't seem to do anything right. Do you feel reboots happen, like in movies, because a company has no new idea to put out? What does a reboot need to do for it to succeed in your mind? How long does a game have to wait to be rebooted?
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

About reboots, I don't have a problem with them. Most of the series I truly like don't have reboots so I don't get mad (DmC for example). I think it's a welcome addition when a series grows repetitive. However, I do think that sometimes reboots aren't necessary, and that the original game's universe can be expanded a bit more.

About franchises now...well, it seems to be the norm most of them adopt action and shooter mechanics (Resident Evil, Dead Space, and to an extent Assassin's Creed). There's 2 kinds of ongoing, milked franchises:

-The first one is the Resident Evil type. It gets milked but at least it tries something new for a change. This could be a good thing since it keeps it fresh or a bad thing because it may leave behind the very same aspects that made it a good franchise. I still enjoy most of these franchises though.

-The second kind is the Call of Duty kinda franchise, it keeps going on and on, with the motto of "if it ain't broke why fix it." Assassin's Creed has become one of this now, and while I don't mind more releases the fact that it's one a year makes it a bad thing for me. It doesn't improve a lot and DLC keeps being released but after the new title is released support for the game stops altogether. Again, the fact that it's 1 a year makes it worse. Unless it's call of Duty you can't find any multiplayer matches for past titles in the series, and that sucks for people that bought DLC for that multiplayer.
    I particularly don't get affected since I skip these (unless they're solely single player), but it doesn't make it less bad.

At least that's my opinion on the subject. There's much more I wanted to say but let's face it, nobody would care about reading it anyway.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

A series needs rebooting when you either stop inputting fresh ideas into it ( both Tomb Raider reboots are a cause of this ) or start doing stupid things to earn a wider audience that destroy the original point ( see Resident Evil 5 ).

The only way some games will truly be stopped or refreshed is when sales take a nosedive, FIFA, Assassins Creed and COD all sell varying amounts of majillions of copies despite minor, near translucent changes each time, at this point, there is not much room to reboot series such as AC or COD because the money is till there and the longer it goes on the harder it becomes, hence Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk's being dead after one too many lazy updates.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

Plats-O'-War!!

Still waiting on a Onimusha reboot!! Or at LEAST the HD Collection!!!!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Assassin's Creed can get away with it, for me at least, because it's more about the story than the gameplay. It's the same as an author releasing a new edition to an anthology every year.

MediEvil is in dire need of a reboot. It was such a great game for the PSX, and the sequel was enjoyable as well.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 6 - Silver

Sometimes a series of games starts to suck and just go downhill. The developers try something new and it unfortunately fails, whilst other times it succeeds magnificently. I think we might have seen the first examples of what I mean with DMC4, which wasn't a bad game, but hardly felt like a proper sequel after the gem that was Devil May Cry 3. If they made Devil May Cry 5, could it have been worse, mayhap boring? We'll never know, but clearly DMC4 caused somebody to start thinking it was time for a reboot.

Now a reboot isn't always necessary. Sometimes a franchise can be saved, like Mortal Kombat, which did away with the incredibly large roster of previous games to give us a better story and excellent gameplay, which didn't make the events of the previous games null and void, but used them well and certainly built them up to be a lot bigger and more dreaded than MK: Armageddon.

Sometimes a reboot is needed, because the previous games storyline has been rounded out so nicely, that to continue the series would be like adding unnecessary sequels. For example, Prince of Persia 2008 tried this after the Sands of Time series was complete. How about Splatterhouse, which took a relatively plotless slasher game and gave it a decent story, great voice acting and visceral gameplay that honoured the previous game.

Here are some games I think need reboots.

Crash Bandicoot: I feel this series needs a reboot. After Twinsanity, I kinda just gave up, mainly due to the character redesign in the later games. But also because it just didn't feel as fun or funny any more. 4th Wall jokes, references to game titles, cameo appearances etc, just made me feel like the games were starting to run out of humour and charm.

Spyro: Do I need to explain why this needs a reboot? Spyro is incredibly popular, with a series of excellent games in the series and even doing a crossover with Crash on the handheld systems and a cameo in Twinsanity. But buying toys to play the game, should not be what Spyro brings to the gaming world or be remembered for Damn you Syldanders! You ruined Spyro.

MediEvil: As Mihalick pointed out, this fun game needs a reboot. I would enjoy seeing this happen, Sir Daniel Fortesque's fanbase is still very strong if his appearance in Playstation All-Stars is any indication. If not a reboot with a new storyline, then a remake of the original story with new features and other great stuff.

Duke Nukem Forever: Yes we need a reboot, to save Duke after the first Reboot. I found the game to be okay, but a game with the Duke Nukem title should be more than okay. An example of how botched this reboot is, you needn't look far. This was one comment I remember floating around. "The Duke Nukem - Balls of Steel edition is great, unfortunately it comes with the game." So yeah, this series could use a reboot or a sequel so good we forget this game.

Gothic: The Gothic series is a series of games I hold personally dear and close to my heart. It was one of the very first franchises and RPG's I played on the PC. I enjoyed Gothic and Gothic 2 + the expansion. And then there was game 3, released incomplete and fixed thanks to fan dedication and fan made patches. Then Gothic 3 released that one expansion and I just lost it. An expansion so bad, it conflicts with the endings you could get in the main game and so awful due to character portrayals and worse in Gothic 4, you're playing as some random jackass, rather than your character who you know from 3 previous games. This series really needs a reboot T_T.

Ultima: The Ultima game series was a series of RPG's that finished in 1999. The games were gradually becoming more tedious, but the storyline was well developed. At least up until games 8 and 9, 8 being bad gameplay wise, especially with bosses, but being highly engrossing storywise. The series was betrayed and butchered so badly with the botched finale that Ultima IX is remembered with naught but betrayal, spite and loathing. I know it's a old series, but if it's possible to reboot XCOM and Splatterhouse, then why not Ultima?

LAIR: I think everyone who owned a PS3 when it barely had any games will remember this title. LAIR was notorious for having some of the worst controls in a game, that I ever used. It had this amazing concept of you riding on a dragon, engaging in mid-air and ground battles. The game was awful and the story not very memorable. This series definitely needs a reboot.

Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09
    My Awesome Checklist

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Am I the only one that wants a Syphon Filter reboot?

Angel of Death

I don't mind companies shitting out the same game every year if it's a good game. I like that we get a new Assassin's Creed every year because the franchise is great. I like reboots too, because it usually ends up being a good game, especially Tomb Raider.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorican2006 View Post

It would be a completely new game anyway, even if it stuck to it's roots, with the time and hardware changes, but yeah, i wan't it back too!
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

With series such as COD and AC literally pumping out a game every year (or close to it), when do you think a series has reached it's limit?
    When there are 9+ titles within a few years, something like that. & It's just obvious copy & paste.

I feel a series has reached t's limit when absolutely nothing new is being brought to it.
    Yup.

As far as reboots
    Reboots can be a hit or miss this past generation. Mostly they just don't live up to their predecessors. (Simcity) comes to mind. Because of horrible business practices or just simply how the industry is today.

Although, Mortal Kombat was a great reboot & I hear Tomb Raider was.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 5 - Silver

I would like to see a reboot to Capcom's Strider series or Rival Schools series.
    Trophy Hunter Percy.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorican2006 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tonto View Post
    MediEvil: As Mihalick pointed out, this fun game needs a reboot. I would enjoy seeing this happen, Sir Daniel Fortesque's fanbase is still very strong if his appearance in Playstation All-Stars is any indication. If not a reboot with a new storyline, then a remake of the original story with new features and other great stuff.
    ^^^Oh dear god this!!! Please let this come into fruition!!!