System stopped reading discs. Suggestions?

This is a discussion on System stopped reading discs. Suggestions? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I was playing Sleeping Dogs the other day, and after 1.5 hours, the game froze. I thought nothing of it, ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

System stopped reading discs. Suggestions?

I was playing Sleeping Dogs the other day, and after 1.5 hours, the game froze. I thought nothing of it, and was tired anyway, so I just shut down and went to sleep. Played approximately the same amount of time (1.5 hours) the following day, game froze again. I ejected the disc and shut down.

I tried to play last night, and the drive will not read the Sleeping Dogs disc (or any other disc, for that matter) at all. Putting a game in, the system makes a horrible grinding sound as if it is trying to eject the disc, but it doesn't. When you DO eject the disc, it comes out fine.

I believe I already know the answer, that my blu-ray drive is toast and I either need to repair or replace, but I am hoping against hope that someone will have some kind of "miracle cure" suggestion that will alleviate my problem. I really don't want to go dropping $300+ right now if I don't have to!

Thanks guys and gals!

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Try out a blu-ray lens cleaner first - it could be as simple a problem as the lens it just dirty and it's not realizing there's a disc in.

You can get one fairly cheap - $10 - $12, sometimes cheaper, from Amzaon.

If that doesn't work, and you've tried everything else you can think of, then, yeah - you'll probably need to plunk down the money for a repair - though you could take it somewhere like Play 'n' Trade and get it fixed, likely a lot cheaper.

That all being said, the grinding doesn't sound like a good sign, so you might need to get it repaired anyway - but it doesn't hurt to exhaust all other options first, just to be sure.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Lvl 4 - Silver

yea, mine blu ray died while playing call of duty [email protected], i got really mad, i couldnt fix it myself, so i just got another ps3.

But, you can still play downloaded games on it, like wipeout hd and stuff like that

Lvl 6 - Silver

when you put a disc in, does it make a quick rat-a-tat-tat noise, kind of like a machine gun?
    If so, then your laser is shot.
    Also, try playing either a CD or a DVD (not a blu-ray) - if they work, then it is specifically your blu-ray laser.
    if it is out of warranty, then i recommend replacing the laser assembly yourself. It's not tough - there are plenty of how-to videos on youtube, and i probably have some saved from when i had to replace mine.
    The laser assembly cost about $55 on ebay, and you'll also need a T-8 torx bit to open the PS3. Home Depot has a small Torx bit collection with a driver for about $10. It definitely beats the $180 or so Sony charges you to replace it.

Just be advised - each specific model number has a specific laser assembly that goes with it. If you want to go the replacement route, i can provide you several links that help you get the right model, once i get my second laptop back from the shop.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Try out a blu-ray lens cleaner first - it could be as simple a problem as the lens it just dirty and it's not realizing there's a disc in.
    Not a bad idea in any case. Even if it's not the issue, still probably a good idea to have a blu-ray lens cleaner around. Thanks for bringing it up!

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    when you put a disc in, does it make a quick rat-a-tat-tat noise, kind of like a machine gun?
    If so, then your laser is shot.
    Also, try playing either a CD or a DVD (not a blu-ray) - if they work, then it is specifically your blu-ray laser.
    No machine gun noises, it is mostly pretty quiet, honestly, and then the loud "grinding" like the system is trying to forcefully eject the disc, then silence again.

I will try the suggestion of the CD & DVD when I get home, just to verify the laser malfunction, as suggested.

I have a torx bit set already, but I don't know that I trust myself to replace the laser. I worked as a structural mechanic on F/A-18 Hornets, so I was more than fine digging in to a multi-million dollar piece of government aircraft, but when it comes to a $300 piece of PERSONAL electronic equipment, I'm too chicken, lol.

member since Oct 2009

I have been through that before. Like nullzero00 said, try a cd or dvd and if they do work then it is your bluray laser thats toast. Either fix it yourself or sell it on ebay and put the money towards a new one. I was actually lucky when mine crapped out, had 1 week left on the warranty.