Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PS1/PS2 Games getting trophy support!?

This is a discussion on PS1/PS2 Games getting trophy support!? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; heh-die-dee?? Are Trophies Coming For PSone and PS2 Classics? - IGN...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

PS1/PS2 Games getting trophy support!?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Plats-O'-War!!

Wow, if this come to fruition, the chaos this will create will be through the roof!!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

If this is true, I gotta quote The Lonely Island boys cuz "I Jizzed In My Pants". I do hope that PSOne & PS2 games get trophy support sooner rather than later

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by BALLZ View Post
    Precisely!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Ice Cream Firefighter

I want to see a trophy in Final Fantasy VII where you have to have 3 full sets of all Master Materia plus Enemy Skills. Mastering 3 Knights of Round would be some insane grinding, to do again that is.
    Last edited by great_daze_tazer; 03-22-2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added what trophy I would like to see in FFVII

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by BALLZ View Post
    This says it all.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Korean Girl Group Groupie

This sounds like a feature for the PlayStation 4. I highly doubt we will see this implemented on the PS3 as is, because it seems like a sure fire way to have people repurchase the same titles again, for another bell and whistle. It would be a good gesture to throw out in a firmware update in the coming months/years, but I don't exactly see it being something that would generate a lot of revenue.

The other question is how many developers (especially when a lot of the ones who made the classics aren't even in existence) would want to go back and add in the extra effort, especially with the chances of them making any actual scratch from the deal being small to non-existent. We've already seen a lot of apprehension from many studios (Insomniac, Platinum, and SEGA come to mind) about patching current generation games, much less games that are 10-20 years old.

The possibilities of this are big, but the practicality of it happening to more than just a small handful of titles is not very likely, unless of course Sony goes and does all the work themselves, and that most likely would mean premium service feature only, and Lord knows how everybody on here pisses about any penny pinching that comes from any direction.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Angel of Death

YYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX! Happy day!

Lvl 6 - Silver

That'd be awesome!

You can't insult someone who's feeling's don't get hurt.

Sig by: djunglist

Lvl 6 - Silver

Honestly? The only game I would give half a shit for this to be applied to would be RESISTANCE : Fall Of Man. Otherwise I have plenty of current-gen games I want to play without going back and reliving the past.

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Kiwi Defender

Sounds more like a PS4-feature than anything else. I guess time will tell whether it is true or not, though, and if it is, I certainly hope that whatever PS games I've bought will get said support (although it'd be even better if I could get it to work on my physical copies).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

sony would become marketing genius's if this were to happen, i would buy so many games!

worlds biggest welch fan

Has I was walking through the warehouse about 30 minutes ago that same idea crossed my mind.

Hell to the yes ps1 and more ps2 support.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Lord of all Goat-Men

While it makes sense that this would be for the Playstation 4, here is why I think it will instead be for the Playstation 3:

Sony have repeatedly stated that the Playstation 4 is not backwards compatible, and that this applies to both disk-based and digitally downloaded games. Gamers looking to play games from previous generations on their Playstation 4 consoles will only be able to do so via Gaikai, Sony's recently acquired game streaming service.

"Faust," you cry, "this is all old information that we've all read dozens of times. Why do you bother dredging it back up?"
    A valid question.

Here is the abstract for the patent:
    A method and apparatus for adding trophy support [to] games that do not have trophies without modifying the original game. The method and apparatus are used to detect particular disk access, use the detected disk access as potential trophy triggers in games, and recognize the triggers while a game is played. Trophies are awarded based on the triggers, and the awarded trophies are stored.
    The highlighted section is what makes me doubt that this technology is for the Playstation 4. For you see, Gaikai is a streaming service - the game is never downloaded or installed on your console, rather it is streamed over an internet connection, and so will not at any stage access a disk, hard or optical.

Your Playstation 3, however, plays digitally downloaded PS1 and PS2 games, and also has a few early titles that do not yet have trophy support, such as Resistance: Fall of Man and Heavenly Sword.

Update:
    I forgot to consider the device on which the game is hosted for Gaikai. It is certainly possible, and perhaps even more likely, that the machines used to host the games being streamed may be modified to include this technology.

From the patent:

Indeed, the present invention may be implemented in a distributed or “cloud” computing environment…
    It is also worth noting that the patent makes mention of various pieces of hardware required for this technology to function, so perhaps implementing it in the Playstation 3 is not possible.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

If Final Fantasy VIII were to get trophies, it'd make my year. That said, I haven't been having a very good year.

Breakfast and Chill

I just remembered... CoD 4 with trophies!

Lvl 9 - Gold

I actually don't want this to happen, now that I think about it.
    I found that trophies have led me to hate some games that I would normally love, and I couldn't bear the same happening to the classics I've such fond memories of. If anything I wish they'd make them optional.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Rangers F.C

It would certainly make me purchase a lot of older games , only thing is , they better not just give golds instead of platinums for games like they did with RE4 and so on , if they do they can stick them where the sun don't shine .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast