PS3 Wifi Help

This is a discussion on PS3 Wifi Help within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey guys, My ps3 wont connect to the internet. My 2nd ps3,laptop,vita and phone all connect fine its just this ...

Crocodile Hunter

PS3 Wifi Help

Hey guys,

My ps3 wont connect to the internet. My 2nd ps3,laptop,vita and phone all connect fine its just this ps3 which is really annoying. I keep resetting the network connection setting and making a new connection (choosing the wifi,password, etc) and when i test the connection it says i have internet but keeps failing PSN, or it changes its mind and will fail obtaining the IP address.

I know i could just use a ethernet cord but where my ps3 is atm i cant so it has to be wifi. I would call sony but its the weekend and i have to wait till monday.

Its very frustrating as it will work mayb 1/20 times but will disconnect after. I assume it has something to do with my new router i bought. Netgear N600 and ive tried google to see what other people did but nothing has worked so far. Im hoping a tech head on here could help me. I dnt want guesses from people so if you dnt know what your doing dnt post plz

Sig by Apokolypz

illegal in 9 countries

Assign your PS3 a static IP address in the router, then add that IP to the DMZ of the router. That'll resolve most connection issues if the router is the cause of the problem (the firewall could be filtering PS3 packets, the DMZ will open all ports to the PS3).

Also, check your signal strength. If it's around 60% or lower, consider buying a WiFi relay / booster or LAN over powerline kit and use that to connect to the PS3. Obviously wired is better, but it's not always practical.

Report back

Crocodile Hunter

I dnt know how to do any of that lol

the router is upstairs and the signal ranges from 60-80% but i have a telephone line in my room so i was thinking about getting telstra to activate it and then use the old router. The i could just use ethernet as it will be in my room.

I just dnt know if it is possible to have 2 phone lines and 2 routers?

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The telephone line in your room, is that a separate number or just an enxtension socket? If it is a separate line, then you can get b/band on it, if it is an extension, then you can't put another router on there. Causes major issues.

With regard to setting up a static ip, if you're not sure how to do that on your router, it can be done through the ps3.

Go to settings-network settings, then select internet connection settings. Select custom, wireless, enter manually. Fill in the box on the following screen with the network you connect to (if you haven't changed the name will likely be the name of your router). Select the wireless encryption type you use (if a new router, likely wpa/wpa2 unless you have changed it) and the following screen will ask for your password for the wifi.

This next page is the most complicated bit, and it is easy On the IP address setting page, select manual. The following page will ask you to input some information. Before we do this, we need a little more information. Grab your laptop, if it is windows,hold the windows key and press r. This will bring up a text box, type cmd in there. This brings up a new screen where you type ipconfig. That will bring up a wall of text. Depending on if you are wired or wireless on the laptop we are looking for a different section, Local Area Connection or Wireless Area Connection (different versions use slightly different phrasing, but they should be close enough).

On there you want to find the subnet mask (likely 255.255.255.0 but need to check) and the default gateway (likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) Make a note of these.

On an apple, go to the apple menu, select system preferences, then network. Select wireless or ethernet dependent on how connected and the same info will be just to the right. Or you can go to terminal and type ifconfig, will be similar to the windows instructions at that point.

Back to the ps3. For the ip address enter something like 192.168.1.100. if the default gateway you noted earlier was 192.168.0.1, make it 192.168.0.100 so it'son the same range. We put 100 at the end so it isn't asking for an address that the router has already handed out, that can be bad. Enter the subnet mask you selected earlier, then the default gateway address.

In primary DNS repeat the gateway address. You can leave secondary dns empty or you can use an alternate address. 8.8.8.8 is a google dns address that I use on laptops, or with a bit of research or a call to your isp, they should be able to provide you with one of theirs.

MTU, select automatic, select do not use on proxy (unlessyou have one already set up) UPnP, I leave disabled, but is a personal choice. Then you'll come to the check settings page. Take a quick look doen it, make sure it all looks like you wanted and press x. And there is your static ip set up.

Without looking it up, I'm not sure if the N600 is a dualband wireless enabled router ( on that uses 2 different frequencies for the wireless) This shouldn't be an issue, however, for your peace of mind, it may be worth checking in the instruction manual if you can turn it into a single band router.

To put the ps3 into the dmz, should you want to follow all of Anti's instructions, enter the default gateway address that we noted down earlier into a web browser. This will likely ask for a u/n and p/w. Most netgears use admin and admin, but check on yours, may well be on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

This will get you onto the router management screen. Can't direct you round here exactly as never seen this page, but there should be a link to the firewall management page on there. Select that and look for mentions of dmz. Once you find it, there will be an option to select a device or ip address. Enter the ip address you used earlier for the ps3 (192.168.1.1 was the one I suggested) and hit save. This may reboot the router. So give it a coupke of minutes and hopefully, binga, bango, bongo all good to go.

Hope this helps,

A
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3stralian View Post
    I dnt know how to do any of that lol

the router is upstairs and the signal ranges from 60-80% but i have a telephone line in my room so i was thinking about getting telstra to activate it and then use the old router. The i could just use ethernet as it will be in my room.

I just dnt know if it is possible to have 2 phone lines and 2 routers?
    Ethernet Over Power - Powerline Adapter Kits - Powerline ethernet - Routers - from Netgear, Belkin, Linksys, D-Link ... | Techbuy Australia

1. Plug it in near your router, wired connection from your router.
    2. Plug the other part in near your PS3, wired connection to your PS3.
    3. Bing! done. Ethernet in your room over your powerlines.

That's a better solution than paying for an additional phone line, but it's still more expensive than adding your PS3 to your router's DMZ. There's a number of good guides online to do just that, eg How do I set up a DMZ on my PlayStation 3 (PS3)? - PlayStation Forum

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Ethernet Over Power - Powerline Adapter Kits - Powerline ethernet - Routers - from Netgear, Belkin, Linksys, D-Link ... | Techbuy Australia

1. Plug it in near your router, wired connection from your router.
    2. Plug the other part in near your PS3, wired connection to your PS3.
    3. Bing! done. Ethernet in your room over your powerlines.

That's a better solution than paying for an additional phone line, but it's still more expensive than adding your PS3 to your router's DMZ. There's a number of good guides online to do just that, eg How do I set up a DMZ on my PlayStation 3 (PS3)? - PlayStation Forum

Fella with the brains has covered the simple explanation that I could have done if I thought for more than 2 seconds before typing my wall of text. One small issue with using these cables is that everything needs to be on the same mains rings for the electric supply. So if you're in an extension on the house, for example, it may be you're not on the same mains ring, but other than that they are pretty good. You will lose some speed on them, due to interference, so always worth getting the 500mbps ones if you have a good speed coming into the building, to get the most of it.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Aratark View Post
    Fella with the brains has covered the simple explanation that I could have done if I thought for more than 2 seconds before typing my wall of text. One small issue with using these cables is that everything needs to be on the same mains rings for the electric supply. So if you're in an extension on the house, for example, it may be you're not on the same mains ring, but other than that they are pretty good. You will lose some speed on them, due to interference, so always worth getting the 500mbps ones if you have a good speed coming into the building, to get the most of it.
    Oh you...

Aratark's post is the best solution (static IP, add to DMZ) and is backed up by innumerable online guides (like the one I posted...same shit, different bucket), so try that first before spending ANY money on other solutions that may or may not work.

Don't be intimidated by the router stuff Ace, it's a piece of piss once you know where to look. All you need is your router make and model and you'll find everything you need to know online. The Whirlpool forums will likely have exactly what you need.

Crocodile Hunter

it didnt work

I dnt undertsand why its not working, i did exaclty what you said and nothing. Like why is my 2nd ps3,laptop etc all working fine but my main ps3 isnt

Sig by Apokolypz

Crocodile Hunter

Ok so after looking on sites etc they all say there should be an option on my routers settings to manually change the DMZ, Which i cant find. the only mention of the word only lets me change 1 which i assume is the main 1. i tried that and it didnt work.

So i rang my stepdad and he said that my PS3's are fighting over the same ip address which is why 1 works and the other one dnt, So he said to factory reset the router and turn on the ps3 that isnt working and set it up etc and leave it for 5 mins or so then set the 2nd ps3 up and it should theoretically use a different ip.

If that dnt work ill just buy the thing that ant1 linked me 2 because i cant be fucked trying to figure this shit out -.-

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 2 - Bronze

If you follow my jinstructions on the one that isn't working, then on the one that is, but change the ip address you set it to to 101 at the end, will do the same thing.