Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are you pleased with how this gen turned out?

This is a discussion on Are you pleased with how this gen turned out? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This thread idea is straight from Neogaf . I would say no, I am not happy with how it is. ...

Retired

Are you pleased with how this gen turned out?

This thread idea is straight from Neogaf.

I would say no, I am not happy with how it is. I mean, I am glad that online is great and indies are getting more recognition. Almost every big game has to be an action shooter game or a yearly series, just look at the top 10 selling games of PS3:
    1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 2011 Shooter Activision 5.46 4.70 0.47 2.02 12.65
    2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2010 Shooter Activision 5.67 3.96 0.47 1.79 11.88
    3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 2009 Shooter Activision 4.85 3.36 0.38 1.53 10.12
    4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II 2012 Shooter Activision 4.19 3.67 0.44 1.56 9.86
    5. Grand Theft Auto IV 2008 Action Take-Two Interactive 4.39 3.38 0.39 1.50 9.66
    6. Gran Turismo 5 2010 Racing Sony Computer Entertainment 2.22 4.21 0.80 1.59 8.82
    7. FIFA Soccer 12 2011 Sports Electronic Arts 0.78 4.02 0.11 1.41 6.32
    8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2007 Shooter Activision 2.93 2.12 0.28 0.97 6.30
    9. Battlefield 3 2011 Shooter Electronic Arts 2.52 2.44 0.30 1.02 6.27
    10. FIFA Soccer 13 2012 Action Electronic Arts 0.84 3.88 0.08 1.36 6.16
    and 360 sales
    1. Kinect Adventures! 2010 Misc Microsoft Game Studios 13.50 4.34 0.24 1.82 19.90
    2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 2011 Shooter Activision 9.23 4.09 0.12 1.43 14.87
    3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2010 Shooter Activision 9.08 3.42 0.10 1.30 13.90
    4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 2009 Shooter Activision 8.27 3.39 0.08 1.26 13.00
    5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II 2012 Shooter Activision 7.25 3.42 0.04 1.14 11.85
    6. Halo 3 2007 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 7.72 2.71 0.13 1.18 11.75
    7. Grand Theft Auto IV 2008 Action Take-Two Interactive 6.21 2.85 0.13 0.99 10.18
    8. Halo: Reach 2010 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 6.69 1.79 0.08 0.84 9.40
    9. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2007 Shooter Activision 5.62 2.26 0.13 0.87 8.87
    10. Halo 4 2012 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 5.46 1.72 0.04 0.72 7.94
    Source A and Source B

Those sales make developers and publishers worried and make them change their games more into these types of games, and the some of the ones who risk it and put out a new game, get very less recognition and sales.

And, my favourite genre hasn't seen much this generation.

Your opinion? Was this a great gen compared to previous ones? Or should it be remembered as a bad generation of consoles?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Part of the problem does lie with us, the consumer. If we didn't buy CoD 15, they wouldn't release CoD 16. When the next installment is a big jump over the previous, it isn't too bad, but when it is purely Fifa 13 rather than Fifa 12, with the new team lists in there, that becomes a bit much.

A large part of the issue could maybe be worked around with a large chargeable patch. Sticking with the Fifa example, a patch that covers the new team lists and maybe some updated graphics for the new players, but save a new release for a change in the engine and/or new/significantly changed game modes.

Looking at the WWE games, in my opinion (which is often wrong ) there are enough changes on a year by year basis for it to be a new game rather than just d/ling a new set of wrestlers and maybe a new set of episodes for the 'campaign' mode they generally run. As a result, I'm more than happy to put the cash down for them.

The addition of MP to everything that moves is something that annoys the living crap out of me. AC didn't need MP, as an example, but as MP games seem to be at the top of the sales list, it gets added.

There have been some cracking games come out this gen, as well as some total tat, but you get that each gen. In a tight economical cycle, devs are going to try and minimise their expenditures and likely try and use as much as they can from previous games, and minimise their development time as well. We've seen a lot of companies go under in the last couple of years, even companies that bring out decent advances in games (LA Noire and the Aussie studio I forget the name of as an example).

I think what I'm trying to say is that I can see why it happens and I don't like that it happens, but as I don't really play the sort of games that this is happening to, then it doesn't really hit me that bad. But it would be nice to see a bit more originality from the majors.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Aratark View Post
    Part of the problem does lie with us, the consumer. If we didn't buy CoD 15, they wouldn't release CoD 16. When the next installment is a big jump over the previous, it isn't too bad, but when it is purely Fifa 13 rather than Fifa 12, with the new team lists in there, that becomes a bit much.

A large part of the issue could maybe be worked around with a large chargeable patch. Sticking with the Fifa example, a patch that covers the new team lists and maybe some updated graphics for the new players, but save a new release for a change in the engine and/or new/significantly changed game modes.

Looking at the WWE games, in my opinion (which is often wrong ) there are enough changes on a year by year basis for it to be a new game rather than just d/ling a new set of wrestlers and maybe a new set of episodes for the 'campaign' mode they generally run. As a result, I'm more than happy to put the cash down for them.

The addition of MP to everything that moves is something that annoys the living crap out of me. AC didn't need MP, as an example, but as MP games seem to be at the top of the sales list, it gets added.

There have been some cracking games come out this gen, as well as some total tat, but you get that each gen. In a tight economical cycle, devs are going to try and minimise their expenditures and likely try and use as much as they can from previous games, and minimise their development time as well. We've seen a lot of companies go under in the last couple of years, even companies that bring out decent advances in games (LA Noire and the Aussie studio I forget the name of as an example).

I think what I'm trying to say is that I can see why it happens and I don't like that it happens, but as I don't really play the sort of games that this is happening to, then it doesn't really hit me that bad. But it would be nice to see a bit more originality from the majors.
    Totally agreed.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I thought this gen was awesome, a lot of great titles and the huge surge of multiplayer play was fantastic. PS3 is home to so many great games, we'll look back in 10 years time and appreciate it much more, like we do with the PS2/PS1 now.
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Im just glad to see black ops two isnt at the top of the list that would mean its trending away from higher sales. (finally) I still think ps2/xbox had some better games come about though.

дурак

This generation was just a downward spiral into mediocrity and idiocy. And the funny part is that most of the blame is on us gamers. Sure the developers and publishers come up with these shitty tactics to milk us and restrict what we can do. But it's out fault for buying into it, for continuing to support it.

I'm guilty of this as much as anyone else is. Pre-orders bonuses, disc locked DLC, day one DLC, online passes, season passes, etc. We have only ourselves to blame for perpetuating these bad habits. We are the ones who shape the future of gaming and instead of focusing on what's to come, we've focused on what is already here. Unless we change and voice our concerns, we will never get out of this hole we are currently in.

Who knows? This next generation could be a high point in the history of gaming, but only if we make it that way.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Prayer Warrior

i feel this generation just like every generation of gaming was needed to not only bridge the gap in between consoles but for us to live and learn and move forward. i think one of the biggest things this generation saw added to gaming was trophies/achievements. i have mixed emotions about this. at first i was very addicted to both and really only cared about playing games that would increase my gamer score or trophy count. then one day will playing a god aweful game and grinding for hours and realizing i was have no fun it hit me. these trophies and gamer score don't mean shit. just because i have a high gamer score or have so many plats doesn't make me better than you because people left and right are breaking games and finding glitches to get these trophies/achievements.

i feel that if used correctly trophies/achievements can give more value to a game and increase the replayability and allow people to explore a game in a way they might not have done before. the problem is that people are getting so fixcated with trophies/achievements that they are playing shit games just to increase their count and are actually saying the game is good cause it has easy trophies/achievements. and on the flip side are skipping class A titles that are well made and must plays simply because it has hard trophies/achievements and don't want to mess up their "perfect" streak.

i know this gen has focused a lot of online stuff with multiplayer and dlc but trophies/achievements are nothing more than an e dick and people care more about whose is bigger than just playing a freaking game and having fun like back in the old days. yeah in the beginning i whored for these things but soon realized it wasn't worth it and went back to playing games like i use to. call me crazy but i think they could remove trophies/achievements from games next gen and expect to sell games like they did before.....sell copies because your game kicks ass not because it has easy trophies/achievements.

anyway....just my 2 cents that i know most of you won't agree with but it's an opinion and like assholes some are shit but it's still my opinion and i'm entitled to it. cheers

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I am delighted but ready for change

Notorious K.I.D.

Based solely on my favorite genre (RPG's) this gen has been a total letdown. Sure the graphics are beautiful, but the stories have taken a backseat to them. Online gaming has given voice to spoiled kids everywhere, trophies have encouraged cheating just to raise counts. This is all just my opinion, but the previous generation had more games that I truly enjoyed and more often than not were justified in their prices. Games that are worth $60 are few and far between this gen.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by kid420247 View Post
    Based solely on my favorite genre (RPG's) this gen has been a total letdown. Sure the graphics are beautiful, but the stories have taken a backseat to them. Online gaming has given voice to spoiled kids everywhere, trophies have encouraged cheating just to raise counts. This is all just my opinion, but the previous generation had more games that I truly enjoyed and more often than not were justified in their prices. Games that are worth $60 are few and far between this gen.
    There are a lot of good RPG's but your right could have been more also RPG's are the only genre worth paying full price for .

Notorious K.I.D.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy1207 View Post
    There are a lot of good RPG's but your right could have been more also RPG's are the only genre worth paying full price for .
    I would argue that the "good" RPG's are scarce, while the last generation was filled with what I consider "great" RPG's. I am biased in the sense that I really only get into the FF series. I also enjoy NIS games, but even then the current ones could have been made last generation and it would be hard to tell the difference. Maybe I was spoiled by FF 7-12 and NIS games like Makai Kingdom, Disgaea, or LaPucelle Tactics, but I can't find anything this gen that compares to them.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm ok with this generation of gaming. This gen added trophies and achievements which made me play everything within a video game. However, I feel like this gen was full of FPS games or incomplete games with bugs.
    Trophy Hunter Percy.

Du wirst geil

From looking back at everything, this gen has been pretty hit and miss in terms of entertainment. Sure there have been excellent games, but with the trending downward spiral of consumers that continually buy the crap developers spew out year after year, it's killing the industry. Hopefully those same devs wake up and realize they're sacrificing quality over quantity.

Currently Boosting: Borderlands 2
    Add me with requests for boosting.

Rangers F.C

I am happy with how it turned out , the only games off the list I played were GTAIV , Fifa 12 and Battlefield 3 .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well I've got bored with gaming. Arguably due to the fact that I'm at a different point in my life where gaming has to take a backseat, but there is literally no game out right now that has me saying "I MUST PLAY THAT, I MUST!" (Bioshock Infinite is mighty close though) but yeah. There have been some staggering achievements this generation as you'd expect, but with all these have come shitty business practices.

I disagree that sequels dominate too much, especially with the sporting games. Yearly sports games have been around for decades, it's only this gen they've had a major impact because they're so realistic now. Fifa is a football game, not a pixelated mess.

In all, I think previous generations had more interesting ideas, but gaming didn't seem to have put so much pressure on itself in terms of sales and revenue. At least not publically, I would say.
    Watch me on the Tubes: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wishicouldgame
    Follow me on the Twitters: https://twitter.com/JOExistence

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy1207 View Post
    Really? I can really only think of 3 good RPGs for this Gen. No Ni Kuni, Resonoce of Fate, and WKC. This Gen doesnt even come close to PSX/PS2 era of good/great RPGs. Almost my entire collection of games consists of RPGs but only 3 for this gen.

No this gen is really lame. The best thing to come out of it was HD remakes and a few great titles overall.

♚ Overlord ♔

Quote Originally Posted by System H View Post
    Really? I can really only think of 3 good RPGs for this Gen. No Ni Kuni, Resonoce of Fate, and WKC. This Gen doesnt even come close to PSX/PS2 era of good/great RPGs. Almost my entire collection of games consists of RPGs but only 3 for this gen.

No this gen is really lame. The best thing to come out of it was HD remakes and a few great titles overall.
    I agree "JRPG"s were a real let down this gen with only a few good titles. Although western rpg's have really stepped up there game with amazing titles like skyrim, Dragon dogma,fallout,borderlands and mass effect. I was also pleased with the sandbox games, they rocked this gen

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by System H View Post

There were more of every genre on the last gen , more devs equals more games , now its massive corporations ( who only care about shareholders not gamers ) which equals , less games and most of them following the same winning recipe , which leaves us with COD style games in everything we now play .
    On topic most of my favourite RPG's are on this gen .

Oblivion
    Skyrim
    Fallout 3
    New Vegas
    Deus Ex
    Dragons Dogma
    Mass Effect series
    Demons Souls ( not sure if this is RPG lol )
    Dragon Age
    Borderlands ( mixture of RPG and FPS )
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Platinum Dohvakiin

I think this gen started out with great potential. And somewhere it just fell to mediocre. There have been some great games this gen. But the total overload of FPS, the downgrade of JRPG's. And the acceptance of the gaming community; that a Developer can release games with more bugs than an ant farm. Is ok as long as there is a patch for it. The fact that for a bulk of the games this gen, Developers started caring more about how it looks than the story. There are way too many games this gen, that gives you deja vu.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

The One and Only

My favorite genre hasn't been doing that great this generation (racing games), so I'm not all that pleased with this generation. However, some of the platformer and action/adventure games that I missed in my PS2 days got remasters, so that's one thing to be happy about at least.

I want to see more good quality racing games, and not just from Need for Speed!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast