Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

IGN versus: God of war vs Gears of war

This is a discussion on IGN versus: God of war vs Gears of war within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; this was an interesting thing to do this morning. just watch the video and at 3 separate times you'll be ...

  1. #1
    Prayer Warrior
    Johnny_Sparx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,393
    Reputation
    79

    IGN versus: God of war vs Gears of war



    this was an interesting thing to do this morning. just watch the video and at 3 separate times you'll be asked to click a picture to "vote" on which game you think is better in a certain category. this one was tough for me as this is my 1st and 2nd favorite game franchises of all time. god of war was the first game i got emotionally attached to and gears of war was the first time i dropped the f bomb in front of my mom while gaming. (i knew i should have stopped playing when she came over to my house that day lol)

    as far as gore, story, and overall best franchise i honestly thought about each for a time and i based my votes on the franchise as a whole and not individual games and went with god of war being my pick as winner. but that's not taking anything away from gears of war because it's the king of the 360 and in my opinion probably the best console mover they have and the only reason why i own both a ps3 and a 360 lol.

    ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

  2. #2
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Waystedyou's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,258
    Reputation
    27

    Id have to pick god of war even though i generally like third person shooters I didn't really like gears of war when I played it at a friends house every now and then, I do remember the controls feeling very fluid for it though.

    I'm surprised there's a vote on story for either of these games.. (just kidding ) although I'm sure you would agree there's just a bunch of killing in both of these pretty much.



  3. #3
    Prayer Warrior
    Johnny_Sparx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,393
    Reputation
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    I'm surprised there's a vote on story for either of these games.. (just kidding ) although I'm sure you would agree there's just a bunch of killing in both of these pretty much.
    there's actually a rich story in both these franchises but the story was fleshed out in previous installments with both of these franchises getting a "prequel" that really wasn't needed and yes in fact just mindless killing lol. but going to the roots of both franchises i feel they both have one of the best stories in gaming history. but i would have to give the edge to god of war for the better story.

    ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

  4. #4
    Threat
    AlecDawesome's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,570
    Reputation
    383

    Whoever thinks Gears is the gorier of the 2 is a complete idiot.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy


  5. #5
    Plats-O'-War!!
    kidson2004's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    All Around The World
    Posts
    4,528
    Reputation
    219

    I've only played one Gears game, and that was the 1st one. Kinda played the 2nd one, and I liked it. But, I have to go with God of War here. I played all 6 games and I must say it's one of the best series I've ever had the privilege of playing. Not be biased here, just giving my personal opinion.




  6. #6
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    I kinda pity GrOW being pitted against GoW...it's just not fair.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  7. #7
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    Never played much GOW , so I must pick Gears . I tried the GOWIII demo and never liked it so kiss my ass fanboys
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  8. #8
    Plats-O'-War!!
    kidson2004's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    All Around The World
    Posts
    4,528
    Reputation
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Never played much GOW , so I must pick Gears . I tried the GOWIII demo and never liked it so kiss my ass fanboys
    No need to get your panties in a bunch. It's your opinion, just like everyone else's opinion. That' all.




  9. #9
    Prayer Warrior
    Johnny_Sparx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,393
    Reputation
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Never played much GOW , so I must pick Gears . I tried the GOWIII demo and never liked it so kiss my ass fanboys
    my dear friend....for me at least.....it's has nothing to do with being a fanboy so settle down a little lol think about it buddy.....if i was a fanboy of either series then i would not like both at the same time and they would not be my number 1 and number 2 favorite franchises of all time. but anyway.....i do very much respect your opinion but it's not fair to write off god of war when you say you never played it much other than a demo for III and demo's hardly ever do a game justice. just a nugget of info for you friend.

    it is very safe to say that BOTH series have die hard fanboys and it can get intense at times. to further prove i'm not a fanboy i think both new games in each series are the worst out of the series and were really uncalled for. the multiplayer in the new gears is great and would be the only real reason to buy it but the single player is a bust and the same can be said for the single player in the new god of war game. the multiplayer in the new god of war is hit and miss. i could take it or leave it. nothing standoutish really lol

    anyway just a little preview of my thoughts. hope you and everyone else has a great Easter weekend.

    ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

  10. #10
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    Kiss my ass fanboys was only a joke guys , I am actually considering starting from the very first one , it could be a yet untapped source of enjoyment .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  11. #11
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    I haven't played Gears of War but there's really no other game out there like God of War, and I've played all of them, so God of War always


  12. #12
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    spoiler alert both are terrible


    Gears defined a Genre then ruined it.

    God of war allowed terrible people who only press square into the mash em up genre instead of learning proper combos

  13. #13
    Prayer Warrior
    Johnny_Sparx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,393
    Reputation
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    spoiler alert both are terrible


    Gears defined a Genre then ruined it.

    God of war allowed terrible people who only press square into the mash em up genre instead of learning proper combos
    there's no denying that both series just released a game that is on track to screwing up the franchises. both god of war: ascension and gears of war: judgement are terrible games compared to others in the series but to say both franchises are terrible is just ignorant. they both have some of the deepest stories in gaming history. a lot of people just take what's on the surface and don't get the whole picture. gears 1 was a phenomenal game and really set the bar so high for that genre. gears 2 didn't really improve much on the formula but still kept the bar high and gears 3 slipped a little. and of course judgement just screwed up everywhere except multiplayer. but gears still remains one of the most popular franchise on xbox.

    god of war 1 on the ps2 was my 2nd greatest gaming experience and very memorable. and god of war 2 kept up the excitement. and god of war III was nothing short than amazing with all three expecting players to learn combos and dodge and parry to stay alive on harder difficulties. chains of olympus and ghost of sparta i could take or leave. they did add detail to the story and taught me stuff i didn't already know but they were extremely easy and yes you are right they allowed people to just mash square to get by even on titan. and then we have the tragedy known as god of war ascension. a horrible game that runs the risk of turning people away from the franchise. it should have never been made and i hope someone looking to experience god of war for the first time does NOT play this game first. they'll never come back. but with all that said god of war is to playstation what gears is to xbox. one of the most popular franchises with one of the deepest stories.

    i understand everyone has their own opinions and i'm ok with people not agreeing with me. i don't take it personal. and i'm trying to respect your opinion but like always you're so negative and damn the whole series on both franchises without even mentioning the bright spots. but it is what it is. you play what you like and the rest of us play what we like lol

    ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

  14. #14
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    i was really trying to get into the god of war series many times in the past few months but i just can't stand the fact that it feels like the same thing with a box puzzle in between fights.


    I have the GOW collection (Not all 5 games, just the first two), #3, and ascention and i am not planning to play the other games till i beat the first game in the collection.

    i also have one of the psp games because i wanted a red psp and the god of war one was the only one that allowed that at the time. couldn't really stand it either.


    i honestly have no clue why im still trying to play it.

  15. #15
    Prayer Warrior
    Johnny_Sparx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,393
    Reputation
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i was really trying to get into the god of war series many times in the past few months but i just can't stand the fact that it feels like the same thing with a box puzzle in between fights.


    I have the GOW collection (Not all 5 games, just the first two), #3, and ascention and i am not planning to play the other games till i beat the first game in the collection.

    i also have one of the psp games because i wanted a red psp and the god of war one was the only one that allowed that at the time. couldn't really stand it either.


    i honestly have no clue why im still trying to play it.
    i honestly understand that not everyone is going to like a franchise no matter how popular it is and no matter how many people love it. i know this because i hate skyrim. i tried so hard to get into that game but i just couldn't do it. i'm not going to say it's a bad game or bash it because it's just not my type of game and i never really gave it a fair shot so i just say it's not for me lol.

    it's cool you've at least been trying to get into it. yes it can feel like a rinse and repeat with fights then puzzles if you're not to captivated by the story. but do yourself a favor and don't even play ascension unless you grow to like god of war series itself because ascension will do nothing at all for you to further your enjoyment. i LOVE the god of war series and i without a doubt HATE ascension. honestly.....if you haven't even opened it yet and still have the receipt.....take it back and get your money back. if you still want to play it if and when you beat the others then just rent it. ascension is not worth buying at all.

    ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

  16. #16
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    jamesy1207's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dreghorn
    Posts
    60
    Reputation
    2

    Could not get into GOW

  17. #17
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    jamesy1207's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dreghorn
    Posts
    60
    Reputation
    2

    Never played Gears of war

  18. #18
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    I OU a Beatn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    2
    Reputation
    0

    Leave it up to IGN to compare a 3rd person shooter to an action hack and slash. I guess they're getting desperate for hits.

    Personally, I love them both. My favorite Sony series is God of War, and my favorite 360 series is Gears of War. Ascension and Judgment are both massive letdowns from previous entries in the series. Both Judgment and Ascension are perfect examples of filler games ordered up by Sony and Microsoft just to fill in the schedule with one of their popular franchises. I kind of saw it coming with Judgment and had prepared myself, but I was really disappointed with Ascension. Don't get me wrong, both are still very good games, but when you compare them to previous entries in their respective series, they both come up short.

    Hopefully they both recover next gen.

  19. #19
    Prayer Warrior
    Johnny_Sparx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,393
    Reputation
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy1207 View Post
    Could not get into GOW
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy1207 View Post
    Never played Gears of war
    Just out of curiosity why did you not get into god of war? Which one(s) did you play? And dude you have to play gears. You can get a new 360 for $100 and the first 3 gears for $25 or less. You have to play them

    ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

  20. #20
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    canadian94eh's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    237
    Reputation
    12

    i think GOW is going to win but seriously god of war is obviously going to win the first category, no question ... in terms of characters and overall better series, i can't say because i haven't played gears, but god of war still got all 3 of my votes

    Signature Created by Bladia
    Avatar Created by Bladia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO