Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IGN Top 8 Vita Games

This is a discussion on IGN Top 8 Vita Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; IGN has released their top 8 Vita games. [hide] [top] #8 - Reality Fighters Developer: Novarama I want to be ...

Change is mediocre

IGN Top 8 Vita Games

IGN has released their top 8 Vita games.

[top]#8 - Reality Fighters
    Developer: Novarama

I want to be interested in Reality Fighters, but I'm just not. I like the idea -- you take a photo of yourself or your friend or someone from a magazine and then make them into a character in the arcade fighter -- but I just can't see myself sitting down and really getting into the game. It's not bad, but it doesn't grab me. Being able to record your own intro and outro for online fights and using the Vita cameras to make your room an augmented reality arena are good ideas, but the fighting looks so basic. It's another game that needs to be priced right to make an impact.

[top]#7 - Little Deviants
    Developer: BigBig Studios

I've played Little Deviants before, and the final verdict on this on is all going to come down to price. The mini-games here are fun. Who doesn't like shooting robots flying around your living room in an augmented reality game and wiping slime off the screen via the rear touch panel? However, the games just don't seem that deep to me. I don't know how much I'd actually play them, so I'm wary of the actual price tag. If this only cost $15 or whatever, cool. I'm in. If it's $25 or above, no thanks. Time will tell.

[top]#6 - Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    Developer: Capcom

As Capcom's Master of Disaster Seth Killian notes: "Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is the console experience squished onto a Vita." Capcom didn't have to make any real sacrifices when developing this port. No missing frames, no vanished characters. It's all there, and it supports both traditional button controls and touch controls. What blew me away about Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was how well it ran. Sharp, smooth, and everything else a fighting game needs in this age of serious, competitive gaming. I went in hesitant, thinking a portable platform could never host a true fighting extravaganza. It seems that Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is ready to dispel that misconception.

[top]#5 - WipEout 2048
    Developer: SCE Studios London

I was less than enthused to sit down for a demo of WipEout 2048. I have nothing against the game; I just sucked at WipEout HD. Still, you can't judge a book by its cover. In WipEout 2048, I found wider tracks, more power-ups, and a focus on getting crappy racers like myself up to speed. When you take WipEout 2048 online, seasoned vets and folks brand new to the experience will have different in-race objectives. If the buttons are too confusing, you can steer with the Vita's gyroscopes and accelerate with the back touch screen. When you become a master of the Vita game, you can play WipEout HD races on your Vita against PS3 players. You can even take a photo of yourself that'll taunt online losers. I don't know if I'll put the time into getting great at WipEout 2048 (ModNation Racers fulfills my racing needs.), but the changes and additions certainly have me ready to give the final game a spin.

[top]#4 - Resistance: Burning Skies
    Developer: Nihilistic

Following my lackluster response to Resistance 2, I feared that Resistance 3 would further tarnish my once-great love of Fall of Man. Fortunately, I dug Resistance 3 in the same way a devoted puppy digs for treats: with immense enthusiasm and excessive drool. With my newfound desire for more Chimera-killing, I jumped into Resistance: Burning Skies with high expectations. I was rewarded with exploding Chimera faces, sweet weapons with touch-activated alternate fire, and an axe. What could possibly make it better? RPG elements. Yes, while blasting through Chimera, you have more direct control over your weapon upgrades in Burning Skies as opposed to Resistance 3. Now you can choose how to invest Gray Matter into specific weapon attributes, which stack over time. This tickles my fancy.

[top]#3 - Hot Shots Golf Vita
    Developer: Clap Hanz

When I bought my PSP, I walked out of the store with the handheld, Lumines and Hot Shots: Open Tee. Since then, the wacky golf game has been one of my PlayStation staples, and Hot Shots Golf Vita looks like it'll continue that relationship. I've written about Hot Shots Vita before, but playing the updated build yesterday only drove home my initial thoughts -- i.e. here's a game where touch controls make sense. Being able to tap the screen to decide where you want the ball to land with a perfect shot and sliding your golfer around the tee stand with a swipe works swimmingly; I won't miss toggling buttons to get my shots just right. All the characters are new (though classic golfers are coming as DLC) and online tournaments promise to yet your mettle against the world.

[top]#2 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Developer: Sony Bend

It's impressive what Bend Studio has managed to do with what is undoubtedly Sony's most cherished franchise. Uncharted is the brainchild of Naughty Dog, and its two PS3 entries are some of the most beloved games on the console. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is due out in early November, and will no doubt further push the bounds of what the series is capable of. And speaking of capable, Uncharted appears to be in capable hands with Bend Studio. While I'm not crazy about the "it-plays-itself" mentality of the touch controls for this particular title, you can still play it with the analog sticks and true-to-form Uncharted controls. And when you do, you'll find that it feels all-too-familiar, a good thing for a franchise this iconic.

[top]#1 - Gravity Rush
    Developer: SCE Studios Japan

Gravity Rush: one of the reasons I plan to buy a PlayStation Vita on Day One. Developed by Sony's internal Japan studio, Gravity Rush caught my eye the moment the mysterious protagonist first walked onto the screen. I loved it even more when the glowing astral cat gives our heroine control over gravity. I would have already gotten down with Gravity Rush even without its mesmerizing gravity mechanics. After all, it has an art style that makes me say "flying copper steam train," sweet comic book cutscenes, and the aforementioned astral cat. But the moment you hit the right trigger, our heroine drifts into the air and tosses about, completely free to plummet in any direction and acquaint herself with a new surface (usually vertical). The developers have captured this exhilarating sensation so well I couldn't imagine being tired of it by the time the credits roll. I can't wait to play this one all the way through.
    Source: ign.com
    Check out each gameplay video at ign.com

Retired TGT Member

well I'm gonna have to see for myself why Gravity Rush beat out Uncharted for the top spot...but that could be great news actually. I mean Uncharted is certain to be a major hit, so if there's something better, I want it for sure.

Crocodile Hunter

looks good

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 4 - Silver

seriously gravity rush 1 st. uncharted golden abyss should be 1st it looks way better

Lvl 4 - Silver

I was reading this yesterday and just couldn't believe it. To have uncharted and resistance 2 & 4 respectively didn't make sense to me. To have two of the biggest series on the ps3 not one and two is bad. I almost think the devs of gravity rush gave ign a bit of cash for publicity :p
    Avatar by cmgravekeeper | Signature by Wadefan1

Lvl 2 - Bronze

im suprised call of duty vita aint in the top 8
    Does NOT Accept Blank Friend Requests

Buy my book, Alteration

Ultimate MvC3? Can't wait to see how that works on the Vita...

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

PRO Member

Hmmm.... I though UC would be #1. It's the only Vita game I have on pre-order thus far.

The only sane person here

Gravity Rush and Uncharted are worth looking at for the PSV.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Maybe its just me but wtf happened to Ruin it should of being in that list
    Annoying PS3T.com members since March 2010

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by soccereric587 View Post
    I was reading this yesterday and just couldn't believe it. To have uncharted and resistance 2 & 4 respectively didn't make sense to me. To have two of the biggest series on the ps3 not one and two is bad. I almost think the devs of gravity rush gave ign a bit of cash for publicity :p
    That's not a bad thing, its actually a good thing. Just because one game from a franchise was good doesn't mean all of them will be good. Also, I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog aren't the ones doing the Vita Uncharted game, or maybe it was Insomniac and Resistance. Either way, one of them is being done by another developer. The bottom line though, is that just because a game that the majority of the people expect to be amazing isn't on the top of the list, doesn't mean that the game that is on the top, doesn't deserve that spot.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 7 - Gold

You should think they would place Uncharted on nr 1 considering the enormous marketing machine that's behind the game. Didn't ever hear about gravity rush. Guess i'm Youtubing it

Lvl 7 - Gold

Doom's ownage in UMvC3 better not have any issues!
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Local Drunk

Definitely getting Uncharted and Resistance but after reading this I think that I should give Gravity Rush a look

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I love it when people say Uncharted should be number 1, when I'm pretty sure none of you have actually played it or Gravity Rush. Gravity Rush sounds like a really cool fresh idea, whereas Uncharted is probably gonna just be more of the same.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by NTGSruler View Post
    You should think they would place Uncharted on nr 1 considering the enormous marketing machine that's behind the game. Didn't ever hear about gravity rush. Guess i'm Youtubing it
    That is an absurd statement and mentality to have. Sure lets all take bribe money and give games a better rating than they deserve. The more you promote a game is in no way related to how good it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
    I love it when people say Uncharted should be number 1, when I'm pretty sure none of you have actually played it or Gravity Rush. Gravity Rush sounds like a really cool fresh idea, whereas Uncharted is probably gonna just be more of the same.
    Finally an intelligent comment. When I buy a Vita, I'm not going to rush out and buy every game just because the franchise it comes from had decent games before. However, I'm planning on doing what I always do when I buy games. Read reviews from multiple sources and look up some videos and then make my decision.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Legendary...Nuff Said

I've seen some E3 vids of Gravity Rush, and I gotta say it looks damn awesome. Sure, Uncharted and Resistance are up there, but I find it amusing that some of you people are complaining about them not being number 1&2 on the list. They're probably gonna be just more of the same, just portable. Similar to the infamous Call of Duty franchise.

I am surprised that LittleBigPlanet is not on the list, though. It looks really awesome on the portable system. I played LBP on the PSP, and it was OK, but this fully supports co-op, and the graphics are to drool over. To each his own, I guess.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 9 - Gold

cant wait for Uncharted: Golden Abyss looks awsome

Resident PHD

Having played Gravity Rush I can tell you it is pretty damn awesome. I think it might have won out over UC because UC is more or less the same as the PS3 version (which trust me is not a bad thing) but GR is an entirely different game.

What I am shocked about is Reality fighter making it on the list and not Littlebig Planet or Ruin

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm hyped for all these games.. Reality fighters looks like it may be fun. We'll just have to wait and see
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast