My PS3 died, any chance of getting it back?

This is a discussion on My PS3 died, any chance of getting it back? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So after 2 years, one month and 15 days my beloved PS3 has seem to have died. Rather, the HDD ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

My PS3 died, any chance of getting it back?

So after 2 years, one month and 15 days my beloved PS3 has seem to have died. Rather, the HDD seems to have. I left some stuff downloading overnight and I woke up to find out a black screen and the console still on. I tried turning on the controller which didn't work, then pressing the power button which also didn't do anything (the orange light on the PS3 -HDD light- wasn't on, just the green one. I unplugged the console and turned it on to see the message:

"The hard disk file system is corrupted and will be restored"

Or something like that. I let it try and restore itself and after 5 minutes or so it reaches 45%, but then the orange light stops flashing and it stays in 45% for like 10 minutes, then it changes to 46, 10 minutes later it changes to 47, but then the screen goes black and nothing happens. RInse and repeat.
    At this point I'm certain the HDD won't get restored and that I'll have to either format it or replace it, losing all my stuff in the process (except some savefiles i stored in Cloud when I had PS+).
    So my question is, is there any way to fix it? If not, then which hard drive do you recommend buying?
    Thanks.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Prayer Warrior

sorry to say but your HDD is gone and you will need a new one. the ps3 itself may be ok and you may be able to get back to gaming with just a new HDD. but all ur game saves are gone and you'll have to redownload all the games you had. sorry oh and if you haven't synced ur trophies before this happened then you've lost all those trophies u earned since last syncing.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 7 - Gold

this happened to me too, and i dont think there is a way to have everything back unfortinatly. i lost everything too

Lord of all Goat-Men

Sucks to hear that mate. A quick google search will give you all the information you need on replacing your hdd.
    You're looking for a 2.5", 5200rpm drive from a trusted brand like WD, Seagate or Samsung. You can get a better drive like a SSD or a 7200rpm drive, but the PS3 is not designed to work with anything but the kind I described.

Also, make sure the drive is less than 12mm thick, because those won't fit.

PRO Member

sorry for your loss man

Lvl 6 - Silver

You'll have to re-format the HDD, after which point things ought to be fine. I've got a PS3 that's more than twice as old as yours whose HDD corrupted roughly two months ago.... while losing all your saved-game data sucks, the HDD ought to be alright.

Going forward, the key is to be more diligent in backing up data. Anything you don't wish to lose at a random moment's notice needs to be saved elsewhere, or more than one elsewhere. I suppose PS+'s cloud service is a reasonable place, but you might also invest in a USB drive and keep manual backups elsewhere -- you can find good USB drives that will do the trick for less than $20.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Thank you everybody, I ended up formatting the HDD from the "secret" menu, I lost everything but I'm surprisingly calm about it.
    I have some save data from when I was Plus like a month or two ago so I'll have to subscribe again to download that data.
    My brother and father on the other hand never did any backups so ALL their data is lost.
    Now I'm syncing my account and I'll install the essentials again. I guess I'll give up on trophy hunting for now.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    sorry to say but your HDD is gone and you will need a new one. the ps3 itself may be ok and you may be able to get back to gaming with just a new HDD. but all ur game saves are gone and you'll have to redownload all the games you had. sorry oh and if you haven't synced ur trophies before this happened then you've lost all those trophies u earned since last syncing.
    My friend's PS3 crashed during the PSN hack scandel and he had close to 500 trophies that he wasn't able to sync and 2 days before the PSN came back online his PS3 died.

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    My friend's PS3 crashed during the PSN hack scandel and he had close to 500 trophies that he wasn't able to sync and 2 days before the PSN came back online his PS3 died.
    Oh wow man 500 trophies? I would be SO upset. Thats heart breaking. Any plats?

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    So my question is, is there any way to fix it? If not, then which hard drive do you recommend buying?
    Thanks.
    The HDD itself may not be faulty, the corruption may be at the software layer. It can happen when a file doesn't fully download, a game doesn't delete properly or the PS3 hard reboots from a game freezing etc, so it's not uncommon.

When prompted to restore on reboot and you can see the XMB background, ALWAYS skip the HDD integrity check (hit to cancel). If the restoration process finds an error it can't correct, it fubar's the HDD and you don't get the opportunity to back-up your files.

If possible, skip the prompt and check for corrupted files by browsing the XMB (Music, Video, Game). If you find one, back-up your Saves, sync your Trophies, then attempt to delete the corrupted data in the XMB. It'll sometimes work, other times it'll hang. If the latter, a reformat is in order.

When you have no other option than the black screen Restore prompt and it won't progress, the OS component on the HDD has shit itself, but it doesn't mean the HDD is dead. Boot into the Recovery Menu, try #3, #4, #2 and finally #5, in that order. There's a chance 3, 4, or 2 *may* fix the problem, 5 is your last resort and will reset your PS3 to factory default and wipe the HDD.

All that said, your HDD may indeed be corrupt, but try to repair the software first before throwing away the hardware.

If buying a new HDD, I've found recent Western Digital drives to be unreliable (I lost 4 x 2GB WD drives within 18 months). Get a Seagate, they seem to be the better choice. Make sure it's 2.5", 5400RPM or 7200RPM doesn't matter (5400 should throw less heat), 1TB MAX (the PS3 OS can't format larger drives) and as Faust correctly pointed out, anything larger than 11.5mm high won't fit the PS3 HDD bay.

Venire, Videre, Vince

Lo siento amigo!

Makes me want to do backups just in case cause you never know when it can happen! My system is almost three years old!

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by xEl_Cidx View Post
    Lo siento amigo!

Makes me want to do backups just in case cause you never know when it can happen! My system is almost three years old!
    Gracias, and please do! Some saves can't be transferred to USB sticks but Cloud Storage should solve the issue if you're a PS+ subscriber. And if not, then it's still better to lose half your data than all of it. I'm gonna start doing weekly backups now.

Venire, Videre, Vince

Tambien no sabia q la nena en tu sig estaba mostrando los organos!

Good luck with the recovery camarada! Suerte!

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Gracias, and please do! Some saves can't be transferred to USB sticks but Cloud Storage should solve the issue if you're a PS+ subscriber. And if not, then it's still better to lose half your data than all of it. I'm gonna start doing weekly backups now.
    I backup my game saves and sync my trophies after every session.

A week could still represent 20+ hours of lost game progress. When compared to 1-2 mins to backup and sync every day, the choice to do it daily is a no-brainer.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I backup my game saves and sync my trophies after every session.

A week could still represent 20+ hours of lost game progress. When compared to 1-2 mins to backup and sync every day, the choice to do it daily is a no-brainer.
    I've been playing very little lately, around 10 hours a week or so, but I guess you're right, I actually played around 15 hours of the first BioShock in the last 4 days and I don't even wanna start again >.>
    Thanks by the way!

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    Oh wow man 500 trophies? I would be SO upset. Thats heart breaking. Any plats?

I think he said 11 or 12 cannot quite remember now. He 100% every offline game he had and after that happened he sold his PS3 for a better PC and he regrets doing it (not because of the hack only because he wanted a better computer was the reasoning to sell his PS3).

WHO DAT!!!!

i just dont understand why you wouldnt sync ur trophies daily let alone getting 500 trophies and 12 plats and not syncing.....im a sync junkie!!! also, plus is a must for this reason.......$4.1666666 a month avg for 12 months.....cheap insurance and free games etc a must, i mean really

Bob 'n' Becca

Mine auto syncs everyday. Whenever I turn my system on it tells me what it did while it was off. I know what it's like to lose a ps3, as well as to lose trophies because I didn't sync (Sound Shapes/Vita). Just do yer backups. It can be done automatically.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!