buying older ps3 games with ps4 coming out?

This is a discussion on buying older ps3 games with ps4 coming out? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; i just went to gamestop to look around, and was about to buy Uncharted 1+2+3. since i just came off ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

buying older ps3 games with ps4 coming out?

i just went to gamestop to look around, and was about to buy Uncharted 1+2+3. since i just came off being a full 360 user i never played them, and figured it was about time. then i thought about it, with the ps4 so close, what's the point of upping my ps3 collection with older games?? is anyone still buying older games? should i just stick to gamefly until the ps4 comes out? what's everyones reasoning behind which ever side you're on.
    PS3 Trophy Card | 360 GamerCard | Twitter | Facebook | last.fm
    --------------------
    Would be a HUGE help if anyone would play my LittleBigPlanet 2 Level

O_o

If you're just concerned about 'getting around' to games, then of course Gamefly is the right idea.

Plus if you like to collect games also, they'll always be there later.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i do like collecting games, i have a pretty decent 360 collection. i just can't get around the fact of STARTING a collection this late. i've only really been playing my ps3 for 2 weeks now so i only own the 2 walking dead games so far. (Telltale Games and Survival Instinct). gamefly just takes SO LONG, 2 days for them to mark my game as received, then another 2-3 days to get a new game. it'd probably be easier to just go buy a few of the cheaper games inbetween wait periods but i honestly can't decide..
    --------------------

PRO Member

Yes, I'm still buying and playing older PS3 titles because I'll have both systems hooked up.

Rangers F.C

I tend to just buy a game that looks interesting , new or old makes no difference . There are loads of awesome older titles on PS3 and loads of decent games that are new . If you have been on the 360 you should probably buy older cheep ones and work your way to the new ones to save cash , the PS4 is still a long way off so plenty of gaming to be done till then .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

Good games are good games no matter how "old" they are, the Uncharted series is definitely worth buying. I'd say yes, go for all PS3 games you can even if you are planning on getting a PS4 soon.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I tend to just buy a game that looks interesting , new or old makes no difference . There are loads of awesome older titles on PS3 and loads of decent games that are new . If you have been on the 360 you should probably buy older cheep ones and work your way to the new ones to save cash , the PS4 is still a long way off so plenty of gaming to be done till then .
    thats kinda what i figured. maybe i'll use gamefly for games i've played already on 360, and i'm just replaying on my ps3, and i'll just buy the games i've never played. the Uncharted series isn't too bad, it was like $10 for 1, $10 for 2, and $20 for 3. it's not like i'm dropping $50-60 each, and those 3 games alone should get me a decent amount of playtime.
    --------------------

Lvl 9 - Gold

There are heaps of older games now at good prices you can pick up, ps4 is still like 6-8? months away at least haven't played any of the uncharted series personally I've heard mixed opinions on it and I dont think i will end up playing any of the games in the future either.

Probably be only a few games that interest you with ps4 so you might run out of things to play after the first few months or so also.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    Good games are good games no matter how "old" they are.
    ^This. Also not so long ago I bought an old game myself that I had already on my 360. It was ACII FYI but the purchase was definitely worth it since I wanted really badly to have this title on my PS3.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by iTsxLuiGi
    with the ps4 so close, what's the point of upping my ps3 collection with older games?? is anyone still buying older games?

Why wouldn't you buy older games just because a new console is approaching? I understand you may be wanting to save your money for the PS4, but PS3 has an outstanding selection of games available for it, many of which are in fact older games.

Good games are good games no matter how "old" they are, the Uncharted series is definitely worth buying.
    Absolutely - good games don't stop being good just because they're considered 'old'. Every PS3 collection should include the Uncharted trilogy.

Plats-O'-War!!

Good games are good games no matter how "old" they are.
    ^^This!!^^ I can't tell you how many times I told myself that I wasn't going to buy anymore, but man sometimes you wait for a price drop for a game and next thing you know, a game you've been wanted to get is now like $19 or less!! Thus began my personal gaming backlog

And besides, if you plan on getting a PS4 on launch then that's understandable. But if not, then don't worry about it. Games are games. They are meant to be played no matter how old they are!! Game on!!

PRO Member

I prefer to buy older games because then I can read reviews before buying and they're much cheaper. Since I don't have much time, each game takes a while anyway, so it's not like I have to "wait" for a new title. Makes it difficult to plat when there's an online component, but I try to get mostly single player games since I like them better anyway.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Isn't the PS4 going to have backward compatability,enabling you to play PS3 games?
    The first few PS3's enabled PS2 games to be played on them.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm still finding great PS1/PS2 games that I missed back in the day (Pandemonium for PS1 is one of them), and some SNES hidden gems as well.
    I'd say it's totally worth it if you actually feel like playing them and have the time. If you wanna get them "just because" then you might as well save up the money for a while.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ThE_BiNmAn View Post
    Isn't the PS4 going to have backward compatability,enabling you to play PS3 games?
    The first few PS3's enabled PS2 games to be played on them.
    no, don't go into it thinking that cause you'll be horribly disappointed. it's already been announced no backwards compatibility.
    --------------------

Lvl 2 - Bronze

None , that sucks donkey balls

PRO Member

I still have a lot of older games and been playing older games. I will have a ps3 along with my ps4 so it makes since to me if i still have older games. Plus the Uncharteds are some of the best games this gen.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by iTsxLuiGi View Post
    no, don't go into it thinking that cause you'll be horribly disappointed. it's already been announced no backwards compatibility.
    They said that about the PS3, and look how that turned out