Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Disney Murders LucasArts

This is a discussion on Disney Murders LucasArts within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; its a bit of a drag.... I grew up playing SCUMM adventure games... since they touched up a couple Monkey ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

its a bit of a drag.... I grew up playing SCUMM adventure games... since they touched up a couple Monkey Islands for ps3... I was hoping they'd do the same for The Dig, Maniac Mansion and Grim Fandango... I had the C 64 and the NES version of MM ... gooooood memories

Lvl 6 - Silver

as far as the Star Wars IP goes... that's pretty much beating a horse long dead... Star Wars hasn't been awesome in 30 years

INTJ

Yea lucasarts totally wasn't making anything cool or anything

except battlefront 3, but who cares about that. i'll be in my bubble of "I pretend lucas arts hasn't done anything special in 10 years"

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Yea lucasarts totally wasn't making anything cool or anything

except battlefront 3, but who cares about that. i'll be in my bubble of "I pretend lucas arts hasn't done anything special in 10 years"

Lol. Fanboy denial.

Sure, LucasArts have been involved in some fairly decent games in the last decade, including the Lego Starwars games and the Force Unleashed games, but they've only managed 2 games on their own in that time: Starwars: Republic Commando in 2005, and Lucidity in 2009 - hardly "cool" games.

Battlefront 3 has been in development hell for years and was never likely to be released.

All in all, a few average kiddy games, a handfull of mobile and DS games, and nothing of any substance. As far as I'm concerned, Disney put them out of their (and our) misery.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

People, you're acting like this means the end of any and all possible Star Wars games.

You do realize that this new model allows Disney to sell the rights to ANY of the Star Wars games [Or any other LucasArts game that might have been being made] to ANY developer now, right? Remember what happened with THQ? They went out of business and sold off all their IPs to other companies - some of which stayed in the hands of the original developers [Saint's Row] and are now just published by another company.

Disney themselves could make Star Wars games if they so choose - don't forget they have their own game studios [Buena Vista Games/Disney Interactive Studios - You know, the Kingdom Hearts, Pure & split/second people?]. All hope is not lost.

The only reason people are even remotely upset by this is because of the headline "Disney shuts down LucasArts". Guess what? LucasArts was FAILING. They hadn't done any worthwhile, non-Star Wars based game in over a DECADE - and the games they HAD done, were mediocre at best. [And when I say "done", I mean made themselves - KotOR was made by Bioware - Battlefront was Pandemic. LucasArts was merely the publisher for those.]

It's just those rose-colored nostalgia glasses.

They'd fallen a LONG way since their point-and-click heyday. They went the way of Rare - sub-par entries into previously classic series.

Yes, 1313 looked good - but that's just it - it LOOKED good. There was no real gameplay at all - at most, it was a tech demo. There is no way to know whether the game was any good or not [And if it was any good, do you really think a company like DISNEY of all, would shut it down at all?]

Also, for the people in the mindset of "Lol, they spent so much on LucasArts just to shut them down" - No. They bought LucasFILM - In particular, Star Wars. LucasARTS was just along for the ride.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Disney themselves could make Star Wars games if they so choose - don't forget they have their own game studios [Buena Vista Games/Disney Interactive Studios - You know, the Kingdom Hearts, Pure & split/second people?]. All hope is not lost.
    They shut down the company behind split second and Pure, and Square enix Is the one that does all the work on KH while Disney manages NA localization (which literally censors the game for North america) and Licensing.

meanwhile disney makes games like this

seems real promising.

seems some of you forgot jedi academy, rouge Squadron, and tons of more awesome games by lucas but hey whatever

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    seems some of you forgot jedi academy, rouge Squadron, and tons of more awesome games by lucas but hey whatever
    And how long ago were those games? 10 years? 15? They are ancient. Name something RECENT, that LucasArts themselves developed and published. Quit hanging on to the past.

The only thing they've done even worth mentioning, is The Force Unleashed - and as I mentioned, that game is mediocre at best. Not terrible, but not the end-all, be-all of Star Wars games. And even then, that's almost 3 years ago!

Rare made Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country, and Conker's Bad Fur Day - does that mean they don't suck today?

You know what the last, released game LucasArts even had a hand in really is? Kinect: Star Wars. You know - the one with the idiotic dancing mini-game?

THAT'S what LucasArts had become these days.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Rare made Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country, and Conker's Bad Fur Day - does that mean they don't suck today?
    Don't forget Killer Instinct.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123