Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disney Murders LucasArts

This is a discussion on Disney Murders LucasArts within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts - News - www.GameInformer.com Game Informer has learned that Disney is closing its LucasArts game ...

INTJ

Disney Murders LucasArts

Disney Closes Game Publisher LucasArts - News - www.GameInformer.com

Game Informer has learned that Disney is closing its LucasArts game publishing subsidiary. We received an email from a LucasArts representative confirming the news.

The official statement from Disney (which recently acquired LucasFilm and LucasArts) reads as follows:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

In some ways, the news is not a surprise. LucasArts had seemed directionless in recent years. The company's core business of games based on the Star Wars license have been largely disappointing in both quality and sales. While the company had some success with games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the Battlefront series, both of those franchises seemed to have died on the vine. The cancellation of Star Wars Battlefront III was particularly ugly, which led to nasty public fingerpointing between LucasArts and developer Free Radical. The BioWare developed MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic (which was co-published with EA) won strong reviews but failed to maintain subscribers, and was eventually forced into instituting a free-to-play business model.

LucasArt's other big franchise, Indiana Jones, has failed to make much of a dent in games in recent years, with the exception of Traveller's Tales LEGO Indiana Jones series that, once again, was not developed by LucasArts. Meanwhile, series like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, which are both heavily influenced by the Indiana Jones films, have thrived.

More recently, LucasArts caused a stir at E3 2012 with an impressive looking demo for a new Star Wars project entitled Star Wars 1313. However, in the months that followed, the project seemed to lose steam, and rumors circulated that the game had ceased production.

The company seemed to have a revolving door of management. In 2004, LucasArts president Jim Ward led a massive restructuring of the company, laying off many development staffers in the process. Ward left in 2008, to be replaced by EA's Darrell Rodriguez, who lasted only two years at the head of the company. Rodriguez's position was ultimately filled by Epic Games' Paul Meegan, who then stepped down in 2012. The company was co-led by Kevin Parker and Gio Corsi until it was acquired by Disney.

During that time, LucasArts attempted to inject new life into its in-house development by bringing in respected industry vet Clint Hocking (who helped lead the Far Cry and Splinter Cell franchises at Ubisoft) in as its new creative director. Sadly, Hocking lasted only two years in the position and left without completing the game he had been working on.

The last game published by LucasArts as a company is the sub-par Kinect Star Wars.

Ironically, many of the games for which LucasArts is best remembered for are not Star Wars games. Its genre-defining '90s adventure games created by Ron Gilbert and DoubleFine's Tim Schafer like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango are all still celebrated by fans to this day.

Our sympathies go out to those who have lost their jobs today.

i literally convulsed when i saw this news.

Star wars 1313, Battlefront 3, First assault, etc. now 100% dead.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

I dont know why you would take this as some big shock...Battlefront III wasnt going to happen anyway, especially with the people they had in charge, and 1313 was all but cancelled as well. They are better off selling the game licenses to studos who are actually making quality games AND actually releasing them

Disney didnt murder them...LucasArts committed suicide a long ass time ago

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I dont know why you would take this as some big shock...Battlefront III wasnt going to happen anyway, especially with the people they had in charge, and 1313 was all but cancelled as well. They are better off selling the game licenses to studos who are actually making quality games AND actually releasing them

Disney didnt murder them...LucasArts committed suicide a long ass time ago
    There was talk that if First Assault sold well that Battlefront 3 would have seen light.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

The Deathly Rhythm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I wanted Star Wars 1313!!!!!!

DAMN YOU DISNEY TO HELLL!!!!!!!
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

-i- love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos06 View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I wanted Star Wars 1313!!!!!!

DAMN YOU DISNEY TO HELLL!!!!!!!
    No! Not until Finding Dory releases.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I dont know why you would take this as some big shock..
    because this company was my childhood.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    because this company was my childhood.
    you´re right.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Welp, now just to see the Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle IPs to rot in the darkness without any hope of returning.
    Well done, Disney.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

PRO Member

Well, we'll always have the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series and the X-wing series.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

The only sane person here

Well that's a real shame right there

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Welp, now just to see the Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle IPs to rot in the darkness without any hope of returning.
    Well done, Disney.
    Disney is well known for IP Squatting

Though Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer are trying to get their IP's From Disney.

Rangers F.C

This sucks for Starwars 1313, on the other hand if I understood it properly now they can let other developers have a crack at the Starwars franchise , I would love for some new people to give it a go , this time it could be Starwars but made from fans not old greedy bastards ( George Lucas ) and co . There are many cool stories from the books yet untouched .
    Last edited by UNCLEPAULIE; 04-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

[top]Disney Murders LucasArts

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    this company was my childhood.
    I think that's the whole point. Nothing in recent memory has been worth salvaging...

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I think that's the whole point. Nothing in recent memory has been worth salvaging...
    True. My favourite games of the 90's was dominated by the Lucasarts juggernaut of the time: Indiana Jones, DotT, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, The Dig, Dark Forces just to name a few. This is quite sad indeed, but there has been a big zero of worthwhile content from them in the recent decade or more.

timezone: GMT+7 ⌋ // ⌈ blind PSN friend requests are ignored

Get bent...

They didn't get murdered. They were put out of their misery. They haven't put out any good games since around 2000 or so.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

дурак

Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

INTJ

Republic Commando

Old Republic 2

Empire at War

Jedi Academy

I can keep going with good recent star wars games released in the last 10 years

lucas arts was amazing till consoles took over main development then released shitstains like the force unleashed and star wars kinect.

Till then the only good Console Star wars games were the N64 and Gamecube rouge squadron ones.

Kiwi Defender

And this is why I'm not as butthurt as I should. They made many great games in the 90s, but most of the titles they released in the past 5 years were utter crap.

Shame their good games will now be lost in the internetz. And to think people were happy Disney bought the franchise .

Quote Originally Posted by Qurb View Post
    No! Not until Finding Dory releases.
    Fuck that.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I'm shocked, Star Wars 1313 looked amazing, I can't believe it's not coming out after all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast