Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

EA once again the Worst Company in America

This is a discussion on EA once again the Worst Company in America within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by jarethgeason i Love playing ea games and ea sports games, this article to me that ea is ...

  1. #41
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    System H's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    447
    Reputation
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by jarethgeason View Post
    i Love playing ea games and ea sports games, this article to me that ea is the worst company is just a load of shit, i basically agree with what Faust said and also fuck the Xbox 720 PS4 is the next console of the new ones ill be getting and also person who started this forum if anyone has noticed has 0plats!
    Since when does trophies have anything to do with posting?

    I rarely buy EA games, dont care for them as a publisher. I bought BF3 simply cause my buddy wanted me to play online with him.


  2. #42
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    Kaito's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    275
    Reputation
    9

    This polls means nothing to oil corps, tobacco industries etc., because they are evil by definition, selling cigarettes can be considered bad, selling games shouldn't, this poll rated the business practice, not the product itself.
    And seeing all that butthurt damage control by EA I assume they care about this.
    And to all the people that complained about EA's victory, what are you gonna do about it? If you really care about what corporations do, join an activists group or something, complaining on the Internet won't solve anything
    ____________

  3. #43
    Le Wild Trophy Hunter
    Kaimaerah's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan
    Posts
    415
    Reputation
    8

    I agree with what Faust said. I don't agree with EA's practices but they have only published a few games I've actually given a shit about so I'm not affected by it that much. If I don't want to pay for extra content or easier access to it, I don't buy it. Simple as that.

  4. #44
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    I am not about to step in and defend EA, there was a period of time earlier this generation where I felt like they had changed (back in 2008-2009) when it seemed like they were a big company going SMALLER with smaller dev studios focusing on new IP and opening up the EA Partners program. Unfortunately, like Activision, they ended up finding a few good ones and proceeded to stop investing in the small stuff. I was lucky in the sense that I liked Dead Space and that went on, but they've completely abandoned the routes that produce new ideas... And they (arguably) started the whole "Day-1 DLC" concept.

    That being said, I find it a travesty they've won this 2 years in a row... And here is why: Ultimately nothing EA does influences anything other than those that consume their products, they have no monopolies (lets not start the sports convo, that's not EA's fault), they have no power outside of their own realm of IPs and I'd argue not only are they not the most powerful gaming company (they are a middle-player), but they aren't even the worst (SERIOUSLY... WHERE IS ACTIVISION!?!?!?!?!?!?!)

    EA is a bad company, but they are a bad company in a niche market.

    Meanwhile you have companies in this list that are legitimately influencing the economy outside their own realm and changing how we as consumers do business regardless of whether we consume their products because they are either that big, have that kind of monopoly, or are that powerful.

    You really want to tell me that EA is worse than TWC or Comcast? Yeah, EA has shitty publishing practices and their DLC scheme is dishonest to say the least, but are they influencing your capability to get access to media? Are they able to lobby to deny new ISP technologies to limit your capability of being connected to what you, as a person, have a right to (information)? And I hate to break it to you, but even if you aren't a customer of TWC or Comcast, those companies effect you because they have local monopolies and are big and powerful enough due to what they control... Information. These companies leverage to deny new ISP technologies, they limit people's access to information by quashing it globally, they comply, openly, with government requests to provide browsing habits... And if you are a customer of theirs, they violate net neutrality often too because they are all both ISP AND CONTENT PROVIDERS, thus creating a conflict of interest that has cropped up before (just go ask Netflix about how they were treated by ISPs).

    You really want to tell me EA is worse than Bank of America? Even if you aren't a customer of BoA, they still influence our lives because they are one of the many banks that has predatory lending practices and has been (arguably) one of the three central banks in the US housing market collapse (yeah, had issues with your house dropping in value? blame these guys because BoA was one of the first adopters of 0-down mortgages and interest-only mortgages). What about the fact that BoA has not paid taxes by shifting a bunch of its losses around to avoid it? What about the fact that BoA has bought up most of AIG's derivative group and is STILL MAKING THOSE INVESTMENTS thus further contributing to the global economic instability. Do they just not really matter? No big deal that BoA is contributing to the economic problems in this country in a very direct fashion, EA fucked me out of 25 dollars one time!!!

    Oh boo-hoo, EA has locked a piece of my game with DLC, they also aren't one of the figures backing non-sustainable/non-safe energy generation, going so far as to deny funding to cleaner, sustainable energy (yeah, BoA has its hands in traditional coal mining, doesn't invest in clean-coal, and has pulled strings in various arenas to deny funding to nuclear energy, solar power, and wind power, the first and last by facilitating large scale land purchases to deny them in various arenas). What about how they profit off of their customers, denying them more advantageous interest rates and being one of the worst banks for fees... And why? Because their partner Merrill Lynch made some of the most misguided acquisitions imaginable.

    What about the fact that BoA is the "official bank" of the US Military, being (in many cases) the only bank available on bases, and conducting predatory practices on military men and women... Only to improperly foreclose on hundreds of them (was a multi-million dollar lawsuit about this recently)?

    And some these things can be attributed to other banks on the list as well (Chase, for example), and I understand some of these are customers only, but in some cases too (as with many banks) it can be difficult or impossible to get out from under them, for example BoA is one of many banks who buys mortgages from other banks, retains them for interest, then sells them, so you could be getting fucked and have no control over it... Not to mention many of these things, like with ISPs, influence you even if you don't use them.

    My point is, EA is not the worst company in America... Unless you're a jaded, self-absorbed, short-sighted gamer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If this poll was conducted via email to subscribers of The Wall Street Journal, companies like Exxon Mobil (Arkansas Oil Spill), BP (Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill), News Corp (hacked the phones and computers of competitors and 'celebrities', and bribed officials), and HSBC (laundered money for Terrorists and Drug Cartels) would be fighting it out for the title of "Worst Company in America", not EA. They fucking make Video Games for Christ's sake.
    See, here is a guy who gets it... Be like Faust. Look beyond your pass-time to things that do large scale damage. The principles here are what matters and there are so many more companies doing worse things.

    Heck, I'll run with the HSBC one, much like the BoA example... They are so big and so powerful they are almost above reproach. In the situation Faust mentioned about money laundering, they are going to avoid criminal prosecution because the US Attorney General fears if the bank loses its US Charter it could cause a "systemic effect on the US economy," but its ok because HSBC is "fundamentally a different company."

    What a fucking crock, and why aren't people outraged about that? I am a tried-and-true libertarian, but these are examples of why the governments also have major issues because they permit these types of practices by continually enabling these companies and allowing them to get away with it.

    But fuck all that, fuck that awareness, EA ruined Sim City!!!!!!!!!

    While I'm not going to stand up and yell about tobacco companies (nobody forces you to buy them and by in large tobacco companies are very small political players anymore) or gun manufacturers (I saw a couple of these mentioned, what makes them bad?)... So many of you have mentioned much more deserving companies than EA would ever be.

    The consumerist should be a platform to inform customers so that we can hold these businesses accountable, not to allow a bunch of butt-hurt gamers make a mockery of an open information forum.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  5. #45
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    the reason why it's beneficial for EA to win this poll is because they will always be the only ones who honesty gives a shit about this little tiny online poll that gives them a award.


    What happens when you vote BofA? Exxon? the most you'll see is a press-release just saying "thanks for stating the obvious" then continue sipping Caviar laced centuries old wine continuing their dumbass shit.


    EA Though, They honestly care about this poll. they made a Giant Article blaming homophobes and Madden Fans for it. Entire websites are butthurt over it. It's just a carnival of humor and retardation over one site's user voted winner.


    and it's all thanks to people like EA getting butthurt over it. if they actually ignored this then EA wouldn't be voted #1 Twice in a row now.


    This also brings attention to what EA does every year though because they actually give a shit. So it's a Win-win for me.



    (also glad it adds a social stigma onto our culture too, we need less posers and idiots in gaming)




    Also Activision is a Necessary Evil. They Separate the Casual gamers from the rest of gaming with their blockbuster releases and new stuff so they don't ruin the niches. They get money from idiots VIA DLC/Season Passes/etc. too so it's a win-win. EA essentially Took niches and made them full blown public casual ips, thus ruining them entirely then blaming homophobes if people don't like it.


    Also at least activision tries out new things (Skylanders was a major gamble and success)



    less idiots in the industry less of shit like this happening:

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...dia+ReDEFined)

  6. #46
    Puns always intended.
    Larrydavidsavatar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    One dimension short of being in a 3D game.
    Posts
    2,432
    Reputation
    161

    Lets just cut to the chase here. It's horseshit, the whole thing, they aren't even the worst gaming company, by definition of overall critical failure, Activision or UbiSoft are miles ahead, by practices, Activision defeat everyone. Not so much optional micro DLC so to speak, just lots of shoddy tat and reskins of bajillion dollar selling titles.

    Said this before but EA used to be far worse, they are nothing like the turd factory of 1997-2003, yes they make money off games people want, shocking, i know, i just see a heavy list of games they helped along being pretty good to great, there is bound to be crap though, in anyone's folder, movie studios are no different, music labels, ditto. My only complaint of the Sports stuff they create is the people who lap it up making many franchises what they are. Casual friendly software.
    A company trying to make as much money as they can is normal as long as they aren't endangering life to achieve that.

  7. #47
    The One and Only
    DaRe_xLw's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inglewood, CA
    Posts
    5,332
    Reputation
    493

    Haha! I wonder if EA will be going for the third one in a row.


    Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

    DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

    Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

    DareCity701
    My dA account.

    My YouTube Channel

    Please subscribe today!

    Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

  8. #48
    PRO Member
    ChrisValentine's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Blackpool, UK
    Posts
    1,311
    Reputation
    237

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Also think of the Jobs EA destroyed closing down game dev companies because they wouldn't give them enough time to make a finished product thus ruining their resumes at the same time.

    Westwood, Bullfrog, Origin, Pandemic, etc.

    all those families now going through financial problems
    They killed Bullfrog?? The Theme Hospital Bullfrog??? THE FILTHY SWIIINES!
    I hate EA even more now


  9. #49
    Fox
    Fox is offline
    Si vis bellum, para pacem
    Fox's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    541
    Reputation
    84

    Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    Don't take it too seriously, no one actually believes that EA is the worst company in America. They're certainly a contender for the most hated company in America though.

    A company trying to make money is normal, but their practices are designed to manipulate their customers. And this is bad!

    Plus apparently they have a monopoly on NFL games and stuff like that. This is also bad news for the market.

    I don't think there's anything we can do about ads in videogames and stuff. Ads are creeping into just about everything these days lol. They do add to the problem though. EA is just pumping as much unwanted shit as they can into their products, demonstrating that they care more about money than they do about providing a quality exerience for their customers. Again, a company after money is fine, but achieving that by being the biggest assholes possible is the wrong way to do it.

    Just as EA is more or less free to be assholes we are quite free to openly and aggressively criticise them for that.

    Finally, a lot of their inferior games could have been fixed up quite easily if they weren't rushing it to make some quick money. Sometimes developers do a bad job. EA forces them to do a bad job whenever it wants more money.

    That's the NFL's doing - not EA's.

    Frankly, EA's practices may suck - but they are one of the few publishers out there that tries to help smaller devs. Think about it - if it wasn't for EA, games like Brutal Legend, Dead Space, Mass Effect, and Rock Band probably wouldn't exist.

    They got those games off the ground. They gave the devs the cash to get them made, while other publishers [Like Activision/Vivendi] shot them down because they "couldn't be franchised" [You know, like Call of Duty, or Tony Hawk, or Guitar Hero - series that are either dead, or flailing about, trying to stay relevant.]

    Do EA's practices suck? Yes - but they are a business trying to make money. MMOs have been doing micro-transactions LONG before EA ever started it. Even paid MMOs do it. They just want a piece of that lucrative pie.

    You say they manipulate the customer - ALL big companies do. That's what marketing is - the company is trying to manipulate you into thinking their product is better than the others.

    As Gauss said - there are far more companies out there, that actually have an effect on the economy, that are deserving of the title "Worst Company in America" - this "award" is nothing but biased BS from a bunch of whiny gamers who don't understand anything about business.

    Video games are a hobby. You don't "need" any of them - you don't "need" to buy anything from EA. They have no bearing whatsoever on your everyday life.

    You can't live without water, food, electricity, or a bank - and there are plenty of companies in those areas that have far worse practices than EA. I mean, is it worse to nickle and dime a gamer for something he/she doesn't need? Or is it worse to charge a person $30-$50 for a $2 charge because they only had $1.99 in their account? Or to loan out money to people who very obviously can't pay it back, then foreclose on their houses when, surprise, surprise, they can't make the payments?

    Are they a "bad" company? In some respects, sure. But the "Worst in the country"? That's a stretch and a half.

    Last I checked - it wasn't EA that caused the economic crash in this country.

    ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

    PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

  10. #50
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    They killed Bullfrog?? The Theme Hospital Bullfrog??? THE FILTHY SWIIINES!
    I hate EA even more now
    those are the guys that made it yea.

    but you can buy theme hospital here on gog.com if you want to relive hte glory days.

    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/theme_hospital

  11. #51
    Lvl 4 - Silver


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    234
    Reputation
    6

    This is laughably stupid. As long as GE evades their $1B in taxes, GM , Morgan Stanley and BoA steal billions in "bailouts" and Monsanto continues to poison our food supply on a daily basis with their GMO crap (and lobbying efforts to not label said ingredients), EA should never even crack the top 50.
    Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off! TURN IT OFF!

  12. #52
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Job Killers

    EA confirms layoffs as it seeks new CEO

    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...h-layoffs.aspx

    Following the closure of EA’s Visceral Montreal studio in February, the publisher has dealt another blow to their Canadian operations. Today, a Game Informer source shared that EA Montreal, most recently responsible for co-development on Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel, has been hit with layoffs in its mobile division.
    This is surprising because of recent statements made by the publisher. As reported in February, EA shared this about the Montreal team, "EA Montreal is a key development studio where our long-term plan is to sharpen our teams' focus on consoles and mobile games." While we are unaware of the deliberations that contributed to this decision, the tumult experienced by EA in the intervening period has been significant.
    allegedly firing the entire QA Team at EA Montreal due to the Golden Poo.

  13. #53
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    skidmarkgn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    621
    Reputation
    31

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Job Killers

    EA confirms layoffs as it seeks new CEO

    [Updated]





    allegedly firing the entire QA Team at EA Montreal due to the Golden Poo.
    If they did indeed layoff a bunch of people due to the "golden poo" then everyone who voted for them, when they knew they shouldn't, is just as responsible.

  14. #54
    Lord of all Goat-Men
    Faust's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,376
    Reputation
    351

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Job Killers
    allegedly firing the entire QA Team at EA Montreal due to the Golden Poo.
    Alleged by who? You?

    EA Montreal has literally never released a good game. It's also a huge studio, with around 850 employees. Considering that a studio like Naughty Dog has less than 300, 850 is excessive and I can certainly see why they'd want to trim that workplace down, especially after the games they've released have all sucked.

  15. #55
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    EA Montreal has literally never released a good game. It's also a huge studio, with around 850 employees. Considering that a studio like Naughty Dog has less than 300, 850 is excessive and I can certainly see why they'd want to trim that workplace down, especially after the games they've released have all sucked.
    EA LA is now also involved in the layoffs

  16. #56
    Lord of all Goat-Men
    Faust's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,376
    Reputation
    351

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    EA LA is now also involved in the layoffs
    For those not in the know, EA Los Angeles is more correctly known as Danger Close Games.

    Oh God, No! You mean the guys that made the amazing Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor: Warfighter have been hit with layoffs? HOW CAN THIS BE??!?!?! THOSE GAMES WERE SO GOOD! THEY WERE EVEN COMPARABLE TO ALL THE FANTASTIC RECENT GAMES FROM LUCAS ARTS!!!

    /Sarcasm.

    In case you didn't notice, EA recently lost it's CEO. How absurd, then, that his successor would want to whip the company into shape, considering that EA, under John Riccitiello, was voted "Worst Company in America" two years.

    Anybody at DICE (developer of the Battlefield games) getting layed off?
    How about the people involved with EA Sports titles?
    What about at Visceral?

    It would seem that this dastardly man in charge of the cartoonishly villainous EA is laying off workers from underperfoming studios, while leaving the studios that produce quality content alone. How bizarre.
    Last edited by Faust; 04-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.

  17. #57
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    brotherfranciz's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    185
    Reputation
    12

    We need to put this into context: Consumerist is a website about customer service. So when they say "Worst company in America", what that really means is "Company that provides the worst customer service in America".

    So in that context, EA does indeed rank up there when it comes to poor customer service (at least recently with SimCity)...

    But my vote would've gone to Carnival (who made it to the quarter finals but lost to Ticketmaster). Being from Australia, my vote wouldn't count but even I have heard of the extremely poor customer service that they have provided on their cruise ships... (I can't say anything about the semi-finalists Bank of America, Comcast or Ticketmaster because I haven't heard any international news about their customer service in the past year).

    The original Consumerist post with all the 32 nominees are at the following link:

    Here Are Your Contestants For The 2013 Worst Company In America Tournament!

    Exxon Mobil (as mentioned by a few thread posters here) was not even a nominee (because their business does not involve customer service).


    God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)


  18. #58
    Lvl 10 - Platinum
    MAXTHUNDER's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,949
    Reputation
    81

    Another lovely move by EA.

    The Sims Social is shutting down on June 14th - Playfish/EA Community



    When I first started playing SimsSocial it was around 25,000,000+ users a month playing the game and now there is about 5,000,000. After this call it will probably drop to 250,000. It was EA's fault behind this for making a new timed quest every week and making it so difficult that the only way of getting the quests done in time would be by using real money. So that is a very huge mistake and if you click on the link you can read some of the comments if you wish. SimCity is going to be shut down at the same time June 14, 2013.

  19. #59
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    I hope that people will get a refund for their unused currency in the game at least. it makes sense to do tha-

    EA terminates Sims Social, Pet Society and SimCity Social | Game Development | News by Develop
    Publisher not offering refunds for in-game currency in soon-to-be closed Facebook games


    Oh ok just average EA bullshittery then

  20. #60
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    To be fair, I'd say 95% of Facebook games that shut down do so without any sort of refund or reward policy. It's standard fair.

    EA is hanging off an edge with just it's fingertips holding on right now. I think they are likely to survive this generation, but it will likely take a miracle for them to make it through the next one at this rate.

    Here's a little timeline I found on Facebook -

    [03/18/13] Electronic Arts Announces Change in Executive Leadership
    [03/18/13] Electronic Arts CEO quits, takes blame for missed targets
    [03/18/13] Electronic Arts Tumbles After CEO Ouster, Lower Forecast
    [03/19/13] Stocks to Watch: Electronic Arts, Lululemon
    [03/19/13] Electronic Arts stock falls after departure of CEO Riccitiello
    [03/19/13] Flaw Exposed in Electronic Arts's Origin Store
    [03/22/13] Can Electronic Arts Survive the Onslaught of Internet Gaming?
    [03/25/13] Electronic Arts vs. Activision/Blizzard: a Difference of Profitability
    [03/27/13] Electronic Arts Sees Digital 50% of Total Sales by 2015
    [03/28/13] 5 reasons Electronic Arts is in big trouble (which is bad news for Canada)
    [03/28/13] 'SimCity': DRM is a failed dead-end strategy, says Electronic Arts
    [04/01/13] Turnaround for Electronic Arts As CEO Resigns?
    [04/09/13] Electronic Arts named Worst Company in America again
    [04/09/13] Federal judge throws out case against NFL over Ravens logo
    [04/11/13] Electronic Arts cuts staff at Montreal studio
    [04/12/13] Electronic Arts announces staff cuts
    [0414/13] EA Montreal Reportedly Lays Off More Than Half Of Workforce
    [04/15/13] EA Cuts Jobs at Ireland Customer Support Centre - News
    [04/15/13] Court extends claims period on $27 million EA Sports settlement
    [04/15/13] Electronic Arts shutting down three Facebook games
    [04/15/13] EA swallows a $300 mill pill and backs away from Facebook

    Talk about a shitty ass month.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO