Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

EA once again the Worst Company in America

This is a discussion on EA once again the Worst Company in America within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; EA Makes Worst Company In America History, Wins Title For Second Year In A Row! Following last year’s surprise Worst ...

INTJ

EA once again the Worst Company in America

EA Makes Worst Company In America History, Wins Title For Second Year In A Row!

Following last year’s surprise Worst Company In America victory by Electronic Arts, there was hope that the video game giant would get the message: Stop treating your customers like human piggy banks, and don’t put out so many incomplete and/or broken games with the intent of getting your customers to pay extra for what they should have received in the first place. And yet, here we are again, with EA becoming the first company to ever win a second Golden Poo from Consumerist readers.

After an astounding number of votes, Consumerist readers once again chose EA over Bank of America, with the video game company taking nearly 78% of the vote.

LESSONS UNLEARNED

Why did EA do (or not do) that it manged to achieve what none of the previous WCIA champs — Comcast, AIG, BP, Halliburton, RIAA, Countrywide — have ever been able to?

Like many other competitors in the WCIA bracket, EA has repeatedly failed at three core requirements of running a consumer-friendly business:

1. Provide a Product People Want and Like

Yes, EA has games that sell in the millions, a number of which are well-reviewed and some of which are genuinely loved. But the company also has a history of pumping out products, or rushing games through development, in order to cash in on a brand name. Just in recent years, there have been several notable examples. Dragon Age 2, while it has its defenders, was seen by many as an inferior cash-in that would have benefited from a longer development schedule. Likewise, the sequels for Dead Space have been been similarly derided by some fans of the original.

The most obvious example was Mass Effect 3, which had the bad fortune of being released in the weeks leading up to the 2012 WCIA tournament. Fans of the first two games, who had invested large chunks of time and money, were left with an empty feeling after reaching the obviously rushed endgame. Detractors accused EA of pushing to game out too early and focusing too much of its energy on the new multiplayer side of the game, since that promised the company a revenue stream in the form of in-game microtransactions for users who want to acquire the many characters and upgrades. The reaction to ME 3 was so negative and so widely publicized, EA was compelled to release a slightly more satisfactory ending only a few months later.

Similarly, the recent release of SimCity 5 came with the news that users would need to be connected to the Internet in order to simply play by one’s self. The company claims it is not a form of anti-piracy digital rights management (though not many people believe that), but instead is about “realiz[ing] a vision of players connected in regions to create a SimCity that captured the dynamism of the world we live in; a global, ever-changing, social world.” Translated, that means EA wants you to always be online so you’ll be encouraged to buy things from the in-game store.

This ballsy decision on EA’s part sets a precedent that the company will surely follow in future games, meaning that consumers will have to choose between the game they want to play and the company that requires them to always be online, whether it’s to monitor their use or sell them new outfits for characters.

“EA has become a company that releases mediocre products created by faceless teams,” wrote Penny Arcade’s Ben Kuchera in a story about the WCIA finals. “There is no real vision at work, no grand design. Just the idea that free-to-play games and microtransactions are the wave of the future, or at least they better be, because none of the company’s $60 boxed releases are finding much success with either critics or gamers.”

2. Sell Your Product at a Reasonable Price

Like movies, video games require a large amount of money and the efforts of many talented individuals. And so games are going to cost an amount of money that will allow the publisher to make a profit. But the largest video game publishers, including EA, have been accused of refusing to compete on pricing, meaning that consumers pay $60 for a new game because that’s what the studios tells us it will cost. By the same token, EA’s deals with sports leagues like the NFL mean that no other competitor is free to offer a competing game that either offers more content for the same price, or similar content for a lower price.

Then there are the free-to-play games that EA makes such noise about. They may be “free” to play, but EA openly admits that the goal of creating these games is to nickel-and-dime users into paying for in-game purchases. The company’s CFO recently stated that EA intends to include these microtransactions in all its free-to-play games.

Beyond any possible price-fixing or consumer chiseling, EA is making money by allowing advertisers into its games — even the ones that people pay a lot of money for. Most recently, people who purchased SimCity 5 were treated to their first piece of extra content — a de facto ad for the Nissan Leaf. So EA gets paid, while its customers get to download an interactive advertisement.

3. Support the Products You Sell

EA made a royal mess of the SimCity release by failing to foresee that the people who would buy the game — and who would, per the game’s design, be required to connect to the EA servers — might actually want to play at some point in the week after making their purchase. But that’s just the latest in EA’s long history of annoying its customer base with bad support.

Customers who paid full price for games, or who spent or saved huge piles of in-game cash in EA’s online products, would suddenly find a problem with their accounts, but attempts to rectify the problem — or even get a response from EA — would go unheeded.

In the wake of last year’s WCIA win, EA’s head of customer service told CNET that big changes were coming for the company and that it would be improving how it responds to customers and adding call centers to better handle things. And yet, just the other day a Consumerist reader in Europe sent us his chat transcript with an EA rep that shows the company still has a long way to go.

The customer had a simple question about linking an Origin account to his Xbox gamer tag, but the EA rep could only tell the customer that nothing could be done over chat and that he would need to call a customer support number to discuss the problem. Making matters worse, though the customer was in Europe, the EA rep provided him with a phone number for EA’s U.S. support office.

The support issue is only going to become an even bigger concern as EA includes more ways of making in-game purchases and requires Internet access just to play games. Each transaction is a chance for an error, and one server crash could mean millions of people left with useless games until someone slaps a shoe against the side of the server.

SEALING THE DEAL

Perhaps EA is secretly of the school of thought that there is no such thing as bad publicity. That’s the only way to explain the decision by Peter Moore, the company’s chief operating officer, to release one of the most defensive, deflective, non-apology apologies we’ve ever seen.

In his misguided, misinformed missive, Moore says things like “we can do better,” while at the same time attempting to put the blame for its WCIA success on a mysterious, unseen cabal of homophobic right-wing blog commenters and people who don’t like whichever football player(s) are on the cover of Madden NFL.

“I have a feeling that a rather pronounced enthusiasm for nickel-and-diming might have caused a slightly more elevated level of dissatisfaction with customers,” writes CNET’s Chris Matyszczyk.

Moore’s note also marked the second time EA has tried to deflect criticism by pointing to previous winners of the Worst Company tournament, as if to mock consumers who dared to express their discontent with a mere video game publisher.
    Make no mistake: Video games are big business. A company like EA — and Activision, Ubisoft, Nintendo, and Sony, etc. — merits just as much scrutiny as any other business that plays a leading role in a multibillion-dollar industry. It’s only a fractured, antiquated public perception that video games are somehow frivolous holdovers from childhood that allows gamers to be abused and taken advantage of by the very people who supply them the games they play.

“Until EA stops sucking the blood out of games in order to make uninspiring sequels, or at least until they begin caring about how much gamers hate their lack of respect for our money and intelligence, this is going to continue,” writes Penny Arcade’s Kuchera. “We don’t hate them because we’re homophobes, we hate them because they destroy companies we love. We hate them because they release poor games. We hate them because they claim our hate doesn’t matter as long as we give them our money.”

Instead of deflecting, we ask the higher-ups at EA to reflect on the following question:

When we live in an era marked by massive oil spills, faulty foreclosures by bad banks, and rampant consolidation in the airline and telecom industry, what does it say about EA’s business practices that so many people have — for the second year in a row — come out to hand it the title of Worst Company In America?

PRO Member

All this does is show how pathetic and bitchy consumers are. Where are the companies that pay no taxes or peddle death (ie. cigarettes)?

We get it. You didn't like ME3's ending. We get it. You didn't like Sim City's launch. Quit your fucking bitching you inbred hillbillies devoid of any moral compass. Isn't there a boxart somewhere you should be ragging on you entitled cu nts?

And yes, my apartment is overflowing from period blood.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Negator

...victory?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Quit your fucking bitching you inbred hillbillies devoid of any moral compass.
    If you say something about me being inbred one more fucking time, we're gonna have a problem.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    If you say something about me being inbred one more fucking time, we're gonna have a problem.
    You're right. The comment is beginning to inbreed itself.
    <signature>
    </signature>

INTJ

All this does is show how pathetic and bitchy consumers are. Where are the companies that pay no taxes or peddle death (ie. cigarettes).

We get it. You didn't like ME3's ending. We get it. You didn't like Sim City's launch. Quit your fucking bitching you inbred hillbillies devoid of any moral compass. Isn't there a boxart somewhere you should be ragging on you entitled cu nts?

guys stop being smart consumerists

please guys, i need to be ripped off more.

make sure you buy the new xbox 720 with all that fancy drm or you're a entitled gamer that wants to ruin the industry because you are killing game console makers!!!

Angel of Death

All this does is show how pathetic and bitchy consumers are. Where are the companies that pay no taxes or peddle death (ie. cigarettes).

Screw you. You're defending EA? Well, I guess we 'inbreds' are stupid for not liking to get ripped off. While gamers have been complaining too muh lately, EA deserves every bad thing they get. All they do is screw us. Most of their sports games are literally an older version with a few additions. They use the same graphics from 2008 that they do now. They are an awful company, regardless if they develop some good games, and if you defend them, you are the idiot that likes getting ripped off.

дурак

All this does is show how pathetic and bitchy consumers are. Where are the companies that pay no taxes or peddle death (ie. cigarettes)?

And yes, my apartment is overflowing from period blood.
    So, we don't have a right to complain about a product we bought and were not satisfied with? We should just let them milk the shit out of our wallets?

Also, period blood is not an excuse to be fucking stupid.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Retired...

EA worst is because ppl can't buy expensive DLC, if DLC is cheap, EA is more good like what Sony did like Killzone, GoW etc under $10. I never purchased more than $15 of damn single DLC.

Signature made by dsluckay & PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

INTJ

Also think of the Jobs EA destroyed closing down game dev companies because they wouldn't give them enough time to make a finished product thus ruining their resumes at the same time.

Westwood, Bullfrog, Origin, Pandemic, etc.

all those families now going through financial problems

PRO Member

Who votes on these things? The result is surprising. So EA is a worse company than Bank of America, who has the ability to invent new charges that people HAVE to pay with hardly a notification? It's a worse company than Exxon Mobil, who recently had a huge oil spill due in Arkansas due to poor quality pipes but is continuing to lobby for the Keystone XL pipeline which runs through environmentally sensitive areas? It's a worse company than Comcast, who this past year forced everyone to get a digital box which took away some of my network channels, all my HD channels, costs more, and resulted in inferior quality (not to mention their customer wait time is usually at least 20 minutes if you have an issue)?

It seems like some people need to get their priorities straight. Sure, EA has some bad business practices, but nothing says you have to buy their micro-transactions, and nothing says you need to buy their sequels, especially if you take the time to read reviews. I could certainly see them winning "Worst Video Game Company" but not WCIA.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    Screw you. You're defending EA? Well, I guess we 'inbreds' are stupid for not liking to get ripped off. While gamers have been complaining too muh lately, EA deserves every bad thing they get. All they do is screw us. Most of their sports games are literally an older version with a few additions. They use the same graphics from 2008 that they do now. They are an awful company, regardless if they develop some good games, and if you defend them, you are the idiot that likes getting ripped off.
    If saying there are worse companies than EA is defending them (note, I didn't say they're NOT bad), then yeah, I'm a total EA fanboy.

The anger people have for EA is simply the reflection of self hatred for continuing to be 'suckered' by them at every turn. If you don't like a company, simple - stop buying it's products, and if enough people do it to become the majority, the company will be force to change, or crash and burn. The fact that they're still around and continue to be 'so god damned awful' shows that the people complaining are either the vocal minority, or are hypocrites for continuing to support something they hate.

My comment was simply to highlight how shitty timing can cause people to go into a blind rage and vote emotionally rather then sensibly.
    <signature>
    </signature>

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

I like FIFA....

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Creditdue View Post
    I like FIFA....
    EA is singlehandedly responsible for the FIFA Xbox Live hack.

Xbox Live account gets hacked/phished/whatever.

Account buys tons of FIFA transaction shit for $$$ (Team cards or whatever)

Sells it for real money in the game

money laundering at it's finest.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/04/xb...e-microsoft-s/

A plat a month!

Was someone bored and then decided to get the EA hate train rolling again?

There is on simple solution to all of this

Don't like EA? Then don't support them by buying their products. Simple as that.

Smashguy mentioned he didn't like the prices from EA on their DLC above. Guess what? He hasn't bought them. Personally, I rarely buy DLC, so this doesn't affect me. But he did the right thing by not supporting them in giving them his money.

For people like me, I don't care what EA does. I didn't care that EA wrote micro transactions into Mass Effect 3. I didn't care. I wasn't going to support that. They did the same thing with BF3 and 'buying' weapon kits. I didn't partake in it, because it wasn't something that I wanted. I wanted to play the game as it was.

For others, if they want to pay more money for DLC, let them. If they want to buy upgrades in games via micro transactions, then great, let them.

Once EAs policies end up affecting me, I will cease to buy their products. But so far, I'm enjoying a lot of what they are publishing.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

ehhhh too bad that alot of the games i love is from EA...-_-

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    Period blood is not an excuse to be fucking stupid.
    But, but....

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    But, but....
    Don't worry, it's still fun baiting people, so it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    Was someone bored and then decided to get the EA hate train rolling again?

There is on simple solution to all of this

Don't like EA? Then don't support them by buying their products. Simple as that.

Smashguy mentioned he didn't like the prices from EA on their DLC above. Guess what? He hasn't bought them. Personally, I rarely buy DLC, so this doesn't affect me. But he did the right thing by not supporting them in giving them his money.

For people like me, I don't care what EA does. I didn't care that EA wrote micro transactions into Mass Effect 3. I didn't care. I wasn't going to support that. They did the same thing with BF3 and 'buying' weapon kits. I didn't partake in it, because it wasn't something that I wanted. I wanted to play the game as it was.

For others, if they want to pay more money for DLC, let them. If they want to buy upgrades in games via micro transactions, then great, let them.

Once EAs policies end up affecting me, I will cease to buy their products. But so far, I'm enjoying a lot of what they are publishing.
    Thank you. You wrote exactly what I wanted to say, yet I was covered in period blood, so I couldn't see what I was typing. Let's celebrate:

<signature>
    </signature>

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    So, we don't have a right to complain about a product we bought and were not satisfied with? We should just let them milk the shit out of our wallets?

Also, period blood is not an excuse to be fucking stupid.
    Period Blood

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Lvl 9 - Gold

I don't live in the US so I don't know how bad BoA or other nominated companies are, but I do know how bad EA is. Their products are sold worldwide and that shows that not only in the US but around the globe they're hated. That must count for something, yet they still don't give a shit.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Rangers F.C

I hear people bitching all the time about EA, yet they still buy there games, if you think they suck so much don't buy there shit . EA are greedy bastards but they still make good games, you cant support them one minute by buying there stuff, then say they are a shit company.
    The only way they will ever change is if the sales make them, look at AC there games are mediocre lately at best, but they are showing great sales so have no intention of changing . As far as micro transactions go, if anyone is stupid enough to support ( buy ) them then that's there problem, anyone else will surely have enough sense and never dream of encouraging them.
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast