Ps2?

This is a discussion on Ps2? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Can anyone explain to me why PS2 games have been snubbed out of availability? I mean with limited to no ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Ps2?

Can anyone explain to me why PS2 games have been snubbed out of availability? I mean with limited to no backwards compatibility and even less games available for PSN download. PS1 games are compatible and there's lots of downloadable PS1 games. Have I missed something or has the PS2 really been snubbed?

Buy my book, Alteration

Well it is a best-selling console. I guess Sony just assumes because there're so many out there that people already own lots of the games and won't pay $10 more for it again, especially when they are trophy-less.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I guess that makes sense. I dunno, I always did have trouble letting go. Well there were a few games that I missed out on and some that I started and never finished. Oh well, past is past I guess.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I hate this, i want to play Freedom Fighter , Time Splitter and killer7 on my Ps3

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTAR View Post
    I hate this, i want to play Freedom Fighter , Time Splitter and killer7 on my Ps3
    Get a backwards compatible PS3. There's a store where I used to live and the have shelves of brand new ones. You never know you may find a store just like it. They're selling for 155 new. I was debating on picking one up just because of the backwards compatibility. I totally forgot about Freedom Fighters until Scott mentioned the game during an episode of reviews on the run. Great game by the way

PS4 is going to play the entire catalog of Playstation games. So you could also wait till then.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    PS4 is going to play the entire catalog of Playstation games. So you could also wait till then.
    The PS4 will only play Playstation games from prior previous generations that Sony can re-licence for the platform. That's also why we suffer the abominations that pass for PSOne and PS2 back-catalogues on the PS3.

The reality is the PS2 is a very outdated platform these days. I have a BC PS3 and bought maybe the top 40 or so PS2 games back in 2007. I've played a sum total of 5 of those games and they looked so bad I couldn't bear to soil my PS3 with their discs again.

The majority of top-selling PS2 games have already been made into PS3 HD Collections. The second tier titles either aren't profitable enough for a HD upgrade or may find their way to the PS4 via Gaikai, where it sounds like Sony has already created the technology to auto-patch trophies into the games.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 04-13-2013 at 04:44 AM.

The One and Only

I just hope my PS2 continues to stay alive, and I get PS2 games from Amazon nowadays anyways. Something to consider if you have the chance.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Notorious K.I.D.

If I could still buy my PS2 games at my local Gamestop, I'd probably use the b/c in my PS3 more. I don't do any shopping online or else I'd go that route. I'd only be playing FF X, FFXII and about 5 or 6 NIS jrpg games.

Edit: I would like to add Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud 2. Pretty much any RPG that came out on the PS2 is better than the fare we have now in this niche.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    Get a backwards compatible PS3. There's a store where I used to live and the have shelves of brand new ones. You never know you may find a store just like it. They're selling for 155 new. I was debating on picking one up just because of the backwards compatibility. I totally forgot about Freedom Fighters until Scott mentioned the game during an episode of reviews on the run. Great game by the way PS4 is going to play the entire catalog of Playstation games. So you could also wait till then.
    Yep those IO Geeks made the best 3. person shooter i the world , i hope all day long ror a HD remake

Lvl 8 - Gold

i can buy ps2 titles at my local gamestop!

ALso, i own a few ps2s and a ps3 that is backward compatible. The truth of the matter is i would rather buy a HD version than play those old games as is, but the reality is they will never see the light of day on a ps4. Sad but true.

Good luck finding your games that your looking for.

PRO Member

My local GAME store still sells PS2 games, some of them first hand and a lot of second hand games, so you can find a lot of rare titles

Lvl 9 - Gold

The only reason I would want to see more PS2 Classics is simply because my PS2 has been broken for years. But if I really wanted to play them I would just buy a new PS2, they're really cheap and I could use all my games again.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Rangers F.C

I like the odd game from back in the day, RE, MGS and so on . Gaming IMO is an always evolving industry and I would prefer more attention put into going forward not backwards . Any time a new console has launched, I have not wanted to play older games till way into its life .

I keep my old consoles, so if I really want to I can play anything, but truth be told I never do .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I at one point felt the same way too, but not so much now.

You see I have one of those old fat BC PS3's and to tell you the truth it kinda sucked. I ran into all sorts of compatibility problems. None of my Ratchet & Clank games would run properly, If I remember I had problems with Battlefront 2, and a handful of other PS2 games I owned.

For BC of PS2 games you needed to either install a Emotion Engine CPU in addition to the Cell CPU (which increases price, and was a major issue for the first few years) or use a software-emulated version with decreased compatibility. Having a PS3 whose backwards compatibility is not compatible with a large segment of the game library to me was more frustrating than just doing away with BC all together.

Yeah I wish there were more titles available on PSN but honestly every time I go back to play a PS2 game I'm disappointed. Graphics aside, game play especially in regards to FPS games has improved so much that all lot of older games feel clunky and outdated.

I do think that Sony has done a good job making making PS2 classics relevant. You have HD collections of Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, MGS, GOW, Sly Cooper, Zone of the Enders, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus, FFX/X2 (regardless of what's going on at square I'd say this will still be released), DMC, Silent Hill, Dragon Ball Z Budokai, Prince of Persia Trilogy, Tomb Raider Trilogy, Splinter Cell and the Hitman Trilogy. I think that's a great start.

Sure, you might be repurchasing some games, but pricing on those collections is reasonable, They look wonderful in HD and you get trophies too, so to me it's worth it.

And lastly you have Gaikai. It might be a year or even two before Gaikai really comes into it's own but once that happens this point is moot. Sony does some really dumb things but spending $380 million at a time when they were hemorrhaging money was strategic and they have a very specific plan going forward. And I gotta believe they will milk it for all it's worth, which includes making a lot of older games available. It's an inexpensive way to release games without getting them re-certified and people will pay to play.

Now is a great time to be a gamer and I'm excited for the future. In a couple years we'll pretty much be able to play any game, from any period whenever and wherever we want. If that's not awesome I don't know what is then.