Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We should wait for Final Fantasy XII remake on PS3 (or PS4)?

This is a discussion on We should wait for Final Fantasy XII remake on PS3 (or PS4)? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Between me and my older brother we have owned/ played every Square Enix game from Tobal, Chrono Trigger (SNES), and ...

PRO Member

Between me and my older brother we have owned/ played every Square Enix game from Tobal, Chrono Trigger (SNES), and Super Mario RPG to Dragon Warrior and Bust-a-Groove...

and i just didnt find the game that engaging, sorry that battle system really left a had taste for me...especially coming from a company that kept the same similar turn base system going for god knows how long...

i bought the collectors edition of FFXII as well as the guide, still own the guide..game not so much....

and this coming from me, the guy that owns like as least 3 version of a few games (MGS - individual Coll and HD...Okami - PS2 and PSN HD...and Prince of Persia - Individual and HD)...i am waiting for X but will pass on XII
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Yeah! God forbid someone has a different opinion.

Bland characters, bland environments, a color palette that was taken from the depths of hell itself and a story that was rather boring. It was the first "newly numbered" FF that seriously deviated from the FF formula.No real cities, just a street with a few shops. Not to mention the game came down to moving through one bland dungeon after another.
    Its not so much an opinion if everything you say about the game is negative and not true... Bland characters and bland environments? FFXII easily had the best graphics 'til FFXIII came out.

They tried to make it more open world as opposed to linear, which is how they went a different way.

How can there be 'no real cities'? I always got lost in Rabanastre and Archades, they were huge.

Bland dungeons? Pharos of Ridorana was in an epic location, and, was challenging (if unprepared).
    Also, the gambit battle system is one of the most unique of the series. Also, you could build and level your characters however YOU wanted.

At the end of the day, SE couldn't care less about what a few fans have to say.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"

Lvl 4 - Silver

in my opinion FFXII is the worst in the series. story was bad, characters were weak hell you dont even know who the main hero is. the battle system was not very bad but a huge setback compared to the previous entries. and if anyone doesnt agree i ask them to at least play the FFVII, VIII, IX & X first, so they can know what a True Final Fantasy game is.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Yeah! God forbid someone has a different opinion.
    Bland characters, bland environments, a color palette that was taken from the depths of hell itself and a story that was rather boring. It was the first "newly numbered" FF that seriously deviated from the FF formula.No real cities, just a street with a few shops. Not to mention the game came down to moving through one bland dungeon after another.
    Opinions are fine, yours is just dumb.

What you think about the characters, environments etc is fine - they're all subjective. I really hated Vaan and Panelo.

But to suggest that it deviated from the FF formula is just wrong: there's still Gil, chocobos, airships and moogles. Heck, FFXII is set in Ivalice, the same world from FF Tactics. Weapons and items from past FF games all make appearances.

The game had several huge cities, all fully populated and explorable. Each city had at least 6 stores.

As for the "bland dungeons", you clearly didn't play the game right through. The environments had great variety: mines, rolling hills, beaches, dead cities, swamps, forrests, deserts... I could go on.

The only way it "seriously deviated" was the battle-system. In every single FF game the battle system evolved, so criticising XII for doing something new is stupid.

God damnit now I wanna go play FFXII. Mebe I'll finally get the Wyrmhero blade, or kill Yiazmat

Lvl 10 - Platinum

I can see Square Enix remaking XII and XIII for the PS4 seeing it is easier to develop for and will be able to put more into the game. If they released it on both then I'll go with the PS4.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post

But to suggest that it deviated from the FF formula is just wrong: there's still Gil, chocobos, airships and moogles. Heck, FFXII is set in Ivalice, the same world from FF Tactics. Weapons and items from past FF games all make appearances.
    12 is connected more with Vagrant Story then FF...12 and Story take place in the same world as Tatics and 12-Revenant Wings...it may have your classic camios from other games...but it deviated from what a final fantasy game should (well to me)
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

PRO Member

I think what I liked the most about FFXII were The Judges. Their design is awesome and from what I remember the battles were a lot of fun.

PRO Member

I think the Esper battles were pretty cool in that most of them took away one of your abilities (technicks, items, magicks, constant sap, etc). I got every single weapon/armor/accessory and completed all pages of the bestiary in that game, twice. I like the gambit system because it made grinding a lot easier and you could just walk through areas enjoying the scenery while still leveling or collecting loot. In FF7-10, you start to get annoyed with random battles after a while when you're just trying to move and you have to heal afterwards and all that. The gambit system is very similar to KotOR which was fun too. The only thing it was missing in my opinion is a stronger story and the ability to replay the hardest bosses (like in FFX). It's so difficult to get to Omega Mk 12 w/ no save points nearby that I never felt like making a separate save so I could do it again later.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Opinions are fine, yours is just dumb.
    Oh look, an internet tough guy. If you can't form an argument without insulting someone,don't bother posting. It makes you look like an idiot.

I forgot to mention Espers, the most useless summons in FF history.

You know, I got the Vagrant Story feel from that game, except I found VS to be better. The only things I really liked about the game were Judges and the gambit system, which was somewhat fun. You could basically set your characters up and leave them to it as they pummel enemies. Which brings me to another issue, grinding. The game required quite a lot of it, only to progress through the game.

So, once again. Instead of making these HD collections they should make a proper FF game. Make it open world, give players vehicles to explore it and make a compelling story and an interesting battle system.

Kiwi Defender

Oh boy, just reading some of the comments as to why people 'hate' XII makes me wonder if they ever played the first 3 (and, to a certain degree, 4 and 5 too) games, where you had to grind like a mindless brute for hours just to have a decent party, where the scenery barely changed, where the dungeons were horribly designed, where the stories were horribly cheesy, corny and full of clichés, where the summons were nearly useless, where the NPCs made moronic comments and where the cities were awfully similar to each other (among many other things all of you keep complaining about).

Really makes you wonder if someone besides Rubi (among those anti-XII n00bs) has played a Final Fantasy game before the overratedness known as VII, VIII and IX hit the PlayStation.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Oh boy, just reading some of the comments as to why people 'hate' XII makes me wonder if they ever played the first 3 (and, to a certain degree, 4 and 5 too) games, where you had to grind like a mindless brute for hours just to have a decent party, where the scenery barely changed, where the dungeons were horribly designed, where the stories were horribly cheesy, corny and full of clichés, where the summons were nearly useless, where the NPCs made moronic comments and where the cities were awfully similar to each other (among many other things all of you keep complaining about).

Really makes you wonder if someone besides Rubi (among those anti-XII n00bs) has played a Final Fantasy game before the overratedness known as VII, VIII and IX hit the PlayStation.

Of course no one is going to complain when a series improves over time. But when a series goes from being good to being bad, complaints are in order. Also, comparing games from that period to a game that came out in 2006 really doesn't work.

Anyway, this whole FF XII "debate" really leads nowhere. If they release the HD version, they release it if not there's always the PS2 one.

Kiwi Defender

Of course no one is going to complain when a series improves over time. But when a series goes from being good to being bad, complaints are in order. Also, comparing games from that period to a game that came out in 2006 really doesn't work.

Anyway, this whole FF XII "debate" really leads nowhere. If they release the HD version, they release it if not there's always the PS2 one.
    But you do realize this is all subjective, right? You might think it went from good to bad, but others might think it was a royal piece of crap and improved over time, just like people think FFVII is the best game ever and others (which we've been referring to as n00bs here) think XII is bad. So to say the franchise has always improved from time to time as if it were a fact is just bollocks. The only thing that's been improving steadily are the graphics, the sound quality and the translations (in other words, the technical aspect).

Why not? If someone bitches about a 2010 game being overly stupid plot-wise and praise it's 1995 prequel for a plot that's just as badly structured or written, they're just being morons. The differences between Final Fantasy iterations are mainly found in the battle mechanics and the like, but even then they all share similar premises, plot twists, characters and even minor (or major) game mechanics, so it's rather moronic to deny you can compare them. Or what? You want to say you can't compare FFIX to FFII, or FFI to FFV, or FFX to FFVI just because there's nearly a decade of difference between their releases? We might as well never compare any FF to another then, and same goes for all kinds of media for that matter.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

that was why i stated that it as bad, due to my dislike of the battle system...since that is what you will spend 2/3s of the game doing...fighting...

I liked the Judges, i loved the graphics, the towns looked cool...the characters could have used a splash of black (but 12 was part the ivalice world)..

my only question is, why is there postings about comparing FFs, when the OPs question was

Quote Originally Posted by blekalt008 View Post
    This means that the next logical steap is work on FFXII remake?
    Just so that Noob label comes no where near me:

Favorite FF VIII, X, VI, XIII...i have played I and II for the PSP...III on the DS and own IV in the FF Chonicles (with Chrono Trigger)...im not saying im expert on the Series...but i have played through quite a few to make a sound judgement on my thoughts of 12
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Lvl 6 - Silver

How much better/different would an HD port of FF12 look like on the PS3? I can't imagine it being much different at all. I saw a side-by-side of the original FF10 and the HD remake of FF10, and aside from some different shading, i couldn't tell which was which.

I can understand the call for remakes of FF7 (and anything pre-FF9) for the sake of getting a game that looks a lot better. However, that being said, I'm not going to invest 100+ hours playing a game i already spent over 100 hours on just for the sake of getting trophies. I just don't understand why people can't accept the fact that the games were great when they came out and are still great. Just because it doesn't look like everything else right now doesn't take away from the game.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I think the thing is, we get it that there are people who love Final Fantasy XII - for some people it just clicks, especially those who are more battle-centric and visual. I've seen this pop up on a lot of people's favorite Final Fantasy list, and one of my best friend's preaches the praises of this game as if it's something spiritual. But for everybody who thinks that, there are a few who are indifferent, and a lot who put this down as one of the worst of the series. I also know people who's entry into the series was this game and they judge the whole series by it - which in of itself of any Final Fantasy title speaking for the series is an ignorant fallacy itself.

My point I've been saying repeatedly, is Square Enix isn't trying to make things that aren't going to sell heavily at this time, and Final Fantasy XII just doesn't have the drawing power of something like Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, or the promise of a new Final Fantasy. This was also - if people will remember right - one of the most disliked titles in Japan for attempting to be too Western. Now unless this new CEO has his head up his ass, and thinks that this will sell because of things like Dark Soul's and Dragon's Dogma and think, "Hey, this game is like those!" and move on that - and I don't think Square Enix is in a state to pull something as stupid, or gamble-like such as that.

If they do HD release this - I wouldn't mind them actually radically changing the story and adding content that makes the story a bit more palpable. Perhaps go and include that online element that was originally supposed to be the game's drop-in multi player, instead of playing "let's watch a movie and run around letting the party members do the grinding for me!" gambit system. Maybe even a new PC all together wouldn't hurt - it's not as if they wouldn't be as useless to the plot as Penelo (most... useless... Final Fantasy character... ever).

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    ...I just don't understand why people can't accept the fact that the games were great when they came out and are still great. Just because it doesn't look like everything else right now doesn't take away from the game.
    I know what you mean but I think they are still trying to target new gamers into the FF franchise, so... if it looks pretty, chances are, even a CoD person would check it out.

I appreciate the originals. If they didn't make any HD remake/remastered games, alot of big name companies could focus on RELEASING SOME DECENT FKN GAMES!!!

Not saying I don't like HD collections and shit but seriously, maybe if they put in 100% (like they used too, could name a few SNES games that are better structured story wise than many modern day games) the game they release might be another classic we could look back and say, " Man, had some real good times with that game..."

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"

Lord of all Goat-Men

Oh look, an internet tough guy. If you can't form an argument without insulting someone,don't bother posting. It makes you look like an idiot.
    I won't mercilessly mock you if you stop saying a game is bad and then justifying your remarks with misinformed assumptions and half-assed comparisons.

As I said, some of your points had merit, while others not so much.

FFXII actually did ok in Japan - first week sales equaled FFX.

Total sales (global) were over 4mil, and considering the relatively low cost of a HD upgrade (compared to developing a whole new title), SE would be making a smart move if they re-release it. It'd sell at least a few hundred thousand copies, if not 1 mil.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Personally, I never got very far in FF XII. I felt the characters were annoying, and the story seemed really back burner. I just didn't care about what was going on at all. And coming from the earlier battle systems, and my general dislike of strategy games, the gambit system was overwhelming and I just didn't care for it. Despite all that, I can still see my Collector's Edition copy from where I'm sitting right now. Maybe one day I'll try playing it again, but it won't be with an HD remake. I already spent $60 on it 6 1/2 years ago. Still need to justify that investment.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I personally would like to see a FFXII remake. I liked it more than X, X-2 and FXIII.

FFX was bad, but you don't realise how bad it is until you replay the game. I couldn't finish the game the very first time I played, because the disc got a tiny scratch and would crash at a certain point. I had to wait a year to play the game again, which when I did, I started noticing things. Like the boss battles were epic and challenging, but the story and characters were harder to get invested in. They recoloured and pallet swapped enemies way too often, meaning you fought a very limited number of enemy types (Bosses don't count obviously).

So here are my problems with FFX
    Characters

Toggle Spoiler

Story and story related gameplay elements

Toggle Spoiler

These are just some of my problems with FFX, it does have some good things though, like the tag-in, tag-out combat system. The fun and challenging boss battles also help to keep the game interesting.

Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09
    My Awesome Checklist

> Restart Button <

So much hate for FFXII ...

I'm all excited for FFX no doubt but FFXII would be THE BEST! Sure, I could get a PS2 and even that nifty collector's copy for some change but I fucking HATE PS2s. They suck entirely IMO. The games on the system were mostly great though and I would like to play some of them again. FFXII is definetly the one I blew most of my time on the PS2 on and I wouldn't mind doing it again.

So yes, I'm an n00b with just enough money to grab PS2 FF remakes.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast