Splinter Cell too complex for it's own good

This is a discussion on Splinter Cell too complex for it's own good within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; http://Splinter Cell's complexity hu..., says Raymond The Splinter Cell franchise's complexity is hurting its popularity, according to Ubisoft Toronto head ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Splinter Cell too complex for it's own good

http://Splinter Cell's complexity hu..., says Raymond

The Splinter Cell franchise's complexity is hurting its popularity, according to Ubisoft Toronto head Jade Raymond. Speaking to Eurogamer, the designer explained that the Sam Fisher stealth series has not achieved Far Cry or Assassin's Creed numbers because of the way it challenges gamers.

"One of the things that held it back is despite all of the changes that have happened over the years, it's still one of the more complex and difficult games to play," Raymond said. "Even though we do have core fans who are like, 'Oh, I want to have more of this experience,' when you play any other game that has stealth elements, they're all a lot more forgiving than Splinter Cell.

Raymond explained that most contemporary stealth-oriented games do not require the player to plan out their routes of attack on the level that the Splinter Cell series does. In fact, she said many games today are quite the opposite.
    "By default there aren't many games where that's the phase," Raymond said. "Most games you can walk in and you start shooting right away, or you just walk in and you improvise as you go along."
    Overall, Raymond said Splinter Cell is really a "thinking game," and one that requires players to take their time and plan out how certain objectives should be approached. This is still appealing to gamers, she said, but it represents a different approach than most games.
    "That's where you get the thrill, but it's a different way of playing than most games on the market these days," she said."
    Welcome to the future of gaming. Maybe the next game will have an "I win" button so "gamers" don't have to bother playing the game and just enjoy watching cutscenes.

PRO Member

I haven't got into Splinter Cell, when I was younger I saw it as an "enemy" of MGS and even though I now know that's not true and that I should play it, that feeling still holds me back a little bit

Still the Chocobo

Wow, I haven't play Splinter Cell since like the first one on PS2 (IIRC) and it was great. I can only imagine how good the games got afterwards. I frown on them taking away complexity. Complexity may challenge you but once you've learned the game, it turns out to be more riveting than simple/basic aproaches. So sad.....
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Negator

I think the point of the article is to highlight the fact that these franchises need revenue if they want to continue to make games. Dumbing down the franchise to appeal to a broader audience is something that happens all too frequently, but I'm hopeful that with extra money in the developers' pockets, we'll see more frequent installments which may eventually give back to the core audience.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Rangers F.C

Looks like Sam is going to ditch the silenced pistol and crack out his RPG
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I think the point of the article is to highlight the fact that these franchises need revenue if they want to continue to make games. Dumbing down the franchise to appeal to a broader audience is something that happens all too frequently, but I'm hopeful that with extra money in the developers' pockets, we'll see more frequent installments which may eventually give back to the core audience.
    Makes sense, but we all know how RE went
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Makes sense, but we all know how RE went
    That's an excellent example, since Capcom actually said they were going to give the fans what they're asking for, a more horror centered game. Thanks to the low sales of RE6, they've finally seen that the action-driven direction they've taken the franchise has cost them their core audience.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

I loved the Splinter Cell games on PS2 (haven't bought the HD collection because I can't be bothered with the trophies and I have them on Pc anyway), but I did find it hard to get into. I guess the same could be said about Metal Gear Solid if you never played the series "back in the day."
    This was an interesting article though, and I mostly agree with it.
    When I first played Assassin's Creed I was expecting something similar to SC and MGS but what I got was an adventure game. The series is fun, don't get me wrong, but I do find it disappointingly easy.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 7 - Gold

The golden rule of presenting a product to consumers is this : Consumers are stupid. If you want to sell on a mass level, keep it dumb, because the majority of people are dumb.

If they want more sales, they have to keep the game dumbed down. If they care more about creating a harder, more realistic game, they're doing a great job, but their coffers will take a hit.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The funny thing is: I hate the Assassin's Creed and Far Cry series!

I remember playing the first Assassin's Creed and you'd have to walk your horse around... any faster and you would get chased by guards wtf... what was the point of getting a horse if you can't travel any faster than on foot? And why the hell would you even get chased by guards just for trotting your horse?

And I only played AC2 for the relatively easy plat (people also recommended the game, but I thought it was mediocre...)

Far Cry makes you take medicine every few hours, annoyed the hell outta me... what kind of game mechanic is that? What does it add to the game?

I haven't played any of the Splinter Cell games, but now I will definitely consider it after reading the article!

Raymond: Splinter Cell popularity held back by its complexity • News • Eurogamer.net

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)

Deathless Destroyer

I remember playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (or whatever it was called) years ago on my old PC and I was so bad at the game because I didn't know the controls LOL (didn't even get past 1st mission). Nethertheless, I believe games like Splinter Cell are overall better games than the ones where you simply go Rambo'ing through a building guns-a-blazing where you are able to easily take down anyone who comes into your FOV.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

O_o

The problem isn't in the complexity, persay, but each Splinter Cell tries to up the ante in plot twists, conspiracies, and the like. Now that isn't always a bad thing, but it's gotten to the point where the current narrative has become a huge convoluted mess, with no real points where new-comers can hop in and enjoy it.

If anything, starting with a fresh story, at the very least, would work wonders for the franchise, in my opinion.

INTJ

this game will be a piece of shit

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    That's an excellent example, since Capcom actually said they were going to give the fans what they're asking for, a more horror centered game. Thanks to the low sales of RE6, they've finally seen that the action-driven direction they've taken the franchise has cost them their core audience.

Resident evil revelations was the best new resident evil game ever.

4, 5, and 6 ruined it. 4 Was a good game but it wasn't a resident evil game.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    4, 5, and 6 ruined it. 4 Was a good game but it wasn't a resident evil game.
    I agree that 4-6 deviated from the original luster of the franchise, and even though 4 was a great game, it still lacked the horror survival formula that made Resident Evil a profitable game series.

Capcom has seen the decline in RE sales, and hopefully they'll make good on their 'back to the roots' prophecies in the next installment.

Let's hope other franchises (like Splinter Cell, Hitman, Final Fantasy, etc) see the big picture and deliver on the iconic gameplay that drew gamer interest to the IPs initially.