EA Closes Popcap Vancouver

This is a discussion on EA Closes Popcap Vancouver within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; EA closing Vancouver studios PopCap and Quicklime in latest round of layoffs: report | Post Arcade | FP Tech Desk ...

INTJ

EA Closes Popcap Vancouver

EA closing Vancouver studios PopCap and Quicklime in latest round of layoffs: report | Post Arcade | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

After a new round of organizational restructuring was announced by video game developer Electronic Arts, Inc. earlier Thursday, it has been suggested that PopCap Vancouver and Quicklime Studios — also based in Vancouver — will be shutting down.

The layoffs are just the latest in a series of job cuts for the embattled games maker, following the dismissal of an undisclosed number of employees at its Montreal game studio in its latest round of job cuts earlier this month.

PopCap Vancouver developed the studio’s numerous hidden object games, while Quicklime Studios (formerly Black Box), was responsible for the PC-only title Need For Speed: World.

The only sane person here

Soon EA will cave in and shut down completely

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Neither dev has done anything worthwhile [At least for Quicklime/Black Box] - IE: Quicklime/Black Box's last game was Need for Speed: World - the failure of a racing MMO [Seriously, there's almost NO ONE playing it.]

I don't even know anything PopCap Vancouver had a hand in. The main, Seattle, WA branch is still open as far as I know - they're the ones making Bejeweled, etc. I can't even find anything, other than articles talking about these closures, saying that the Vancouver studio made anything specific - which leads me to believe it was an unnecessary studio to begin with.

Devs don't make anything, or their games flop, therefore, make no money? They get closed - that's just how business works. Does it suck? Yes - but what else can they do? Keep hemorrhaging money out of these places?

Everyone always wants to try and rag on EA for closing down a studio - yet they never look at the full picture of whether or not that studio was even doing well in the first place. It's always just "Burn EA, they fired people, grrrr." It's not easy to keep a game studio afloat - one flop, and it's usually curtains.

It's not like movies or music where they can recoup their losses in other ways - no "DVD releases" - you release your game, and pray it sells enough to make back what you put into it. If you don't - bye, bye if you aren't one of the big developers with multiple series to fall back on.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Neither dev has done anything worthwhile [At least for Quicklime/Black Box]

Black box did NFS Most Wanted, NFS Underground 1 and 2, NFS Carbon.

NSFW

This... is the final line for me.... EA has had terrible business decisions, but no one... NO ONE... fucks with Popcap. I am hereby boycutting EA.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    This... is the final line for me.... EA has had terrible business decisions, but no one... NO ONE... fucks with Popcap. I am hereby boycutting EA.
    That is exactly what I was thinking but then I realized that it is not the Plants vs Zombies Popcap so all is good

Sig by Bladia

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    As long as it's not BeJeweled, then I'm good.

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    So what you're saying is Black Box made the last real NFS games. Let's face it Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted and The Run are as much a NFS game is, as Dante's Inferno is GoW. It kinda, sorta reminds you of it, but it's not the same thing. Which begs the question as to why EA didn't have Black Box make the Most Wanted remake, and just let Criterion make Burnout, which is frankly what the last 2 NFS games they've made are.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Check Those Corners

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    Soon EA will cave in and shut down completely
    And 2K will start making NFL games again..

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    There you go, bringing up ancient work to try and justify keeping a dying company open again.

Most Wanted, the Undergrounds, and Carbon were great games.

The Run, ProStreet and Undercover were not. Decent, sure, but nowhere near as successful as the previous titles.

Need for Speed: World was not. THOSE are the last games the company has made - not MW/Underground/Carbon. THOSE are the games that flopped. THOSE are the games that got this company shutdown.

You really need to quit living in the past, looking through rose-colored nostalgia glasses and actually pay attention to what these companies have CURRENTLY done, instead of trying to rationalize why a dying company should still be kept open because of games they made 8-10 years ago.

Not to mention skipping over entire parts of a post, just to try and fuel your argument - it's bad form.

If your performance at a company starts slipping, and you're costing them money - you get fired - plain and simple. It doesn't really matter what you've done in the long run - a company's job is to make money. They can't do that if you're costing them more than they bring in.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN