Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beyond Two Souls is Ten Hours Long

This is a discussion on Beyond Two Souls is Ten Hours Long within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Quantic Dream head David Cage has revealed that the upcoming narrative-focused Beyond: Two Souls will last for ten hours. Speaking ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Beyond Two Souls is Ten Hours Long

Quantic Dream head David Cage has revealed that the upcoming narrative-focused Beyond: Two Souls will last for ten hours.Speaking at an event for the game at the Tribeca Film Festival (via Gamespot), Cage revealed the figure after a 35 minute clip of the title's "Homeless" level was shown.

Because people wanted to see the end, they wanted to know what would happen next.

The figure comes after mock scripts for the game were sent to media outlets last week, revealing the title's narrative spans over 2,000 pages.
    Cage also revealed he's confident that most gamers will finish the title, as his last game Heavy Rain had a higher than average completion rate amongst gamers; typically about 20 percent of players see a game through to its end, though for Heavy Rain this number was about 75 percent.
    In his opinion, this is down to the story-heavy nature of the game. He explained, "Because people wanted to see the end, they wanted to know what would happen next…all this was very important."
    I thought it would be longer than that since its 2000 pages. But saying that the script may cover multiple endings like Heavy Rain and have good replay value which could make the game last 30+ hours

Source: Beyond: Two Souls is Ten Hours Long - IGN

Local Drunk

They talk a lot, that's why the script is 2000 pages. Only a 100 of those is the action lol.

Don't care long or short it is, just as it's a good story.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

PRO Member

Being more of a movie than a game, that's actually pretty awesome.

-i- love myself.

Thought it would be longer considering the script is 2000 pages long but whatever it's still going to be an awesome game.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Just like with Heavy Rain even if it has decent replay value I'm not even gonna bother paying $60 for a ten-hour game. I'm just gonna wait for that sweet price drop.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Rangers F.C

I lost track of time when playing Heavy Rain because the story was so awesome, if this game lives up to my mega expectations then I will be very happy regardless of how many hours I clocked up playing .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

So long as it's entertaining and hopefully emotionally moving, the length don't matter to me.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

INTJ

Will the 10 hours have good writing or will David cage leave gigantic plotholes like heavy rain.

Angel of Death

Same as Heavy Rain. ^And what plot holes?

Lvl 10 - Platinum

given that they said it will take 10 hours i would say that most people will get through it in 7-8 hours since developers always overestimate their times, the latest GOW was supposed to be 12-14 hours, but most people i know got through it in under 10

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    Same as Heavy Rain. ^And what plot holes?
    Heavy Rain&#39;s BIG plot-holes | GamesRadar

Negator

It's thanks to Heavy Rain that I have absolutely no interest in this.

If I wanted a realistic interaction with life-like characters, I wouldn't be playing fucking video games.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

I don't care how long it is..I already know I'm going to love this game even if it turned out to be only 2 hours long!

You can't insult someone who's feeling's don't get hurt.

Sig by: djunglist

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

this game isnt for everyone, but i do hope its worth the full price
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Lemme quote this from the other thread Max made about the script, and make some things clear.

Developer Quantic Dream is run by a man named David Cage, and as anyone even remotely familiar with the studio knows, Cage takes his job very seriously. His upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusive title Beyond: Two Souls is another game in his company’s newly-minted genre – Interactive Drama – and to prove just how humongous and dense the game is, Sony sent out a mock script representing every scene in the game.
    Dan Ackerman from CNET posted a picture of said script on Facebook. He notes that each of the pages are completely blank, so don’t flip out… that’s not the actual script. It’s simply representative of the game’s meatiness.
    There is no 2,000 page script. It's a freakin' publicity stunt. So stop mentioning it like it's real. The gaming media is a bunch of idiots for chasing this red herring, but don't contribute to the idiocy.

---

10 hours is a solid experience enough, and hopefully there are the Quantic Dream trademark branching paths and multiple endings, it's likely to offer a lot more than just the 10 hours that a single play through requires.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post

If I wanted a realistic interaction with life-like characters, I wouldn't be playing fucking video games.
    but dude did you see that old man face at the ps4 unveil

all dat emotion praise david cage jesus for blessing us with all those polygons

seriously david cage should fucking leave the industry and just go make movies already. It's quite clear that that's all he wants to do. Might as well make some Sega CD Full Motion Games while your at it.

Most of his games are one playthrough only and your done type deals anyway.

Lvl 9 - Gold

What I'm curious about is whether that 10 hours is from a tester playthrough or a gamer playthrough. Cause I'm not like most gamers, and I take my time exploring environments and such. A game that most people finish in 6-8 hours takes me 10-12 hours, so if they're claiming this is a 10 hour game, I'll probably get 14 hours out of it on a first playthrough. If there are multiple story paths and a bunch of endings like Heavy Rain, that's a lot of play time.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post

No interest apart from posting about how you have no interest. Can't say i've had to perform an awkward striptease for a sleazy club owner, drive a car on the wrong side of the road at speed, chop my finger off for a bit of information or engage in a sort of sex for fishes thing whilst my son was in dire peril so Heavy Rain wasn't all that life-like for me but i do see your point somewhat.

Anyhow, 10 hours seems about right for a narrative driven title, very much looking forward to it. Flaws, plotholes and all.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    but dude did you see that old man face at the ps4 unveil

all dat emotion praise david cage jesus for blessing us with all those polygons

seriously david cage should fucking leave the industry and just go make movies already. It's quite clear that that's all he wants to do. Might as well make some Sega CD Full Motion Games while your at it.

Most of his games are one playthrough only and your done type deals anyway.
    "Most of his games"

Quantic Dream has made 3 games up to this point, and only one of them is a "single playthrough and your done" deal - Omikron: The Nomad Soul. Last I checked, basic math says that's not "most".

Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are both multiple playthrough games - there is no way you can see every ending, or every outcome of every event in one playthrough.

Beyond will be their fourth title, and then there's another game coming after that. Neither of which will be "one playthrough and you're done".

I honestly can't believe anyone would hate on him for the titles he's made - QD is trying to do something different - something more mature, thought provoking and engaging than just "Go here and shoot this guy to move on". I'm sick of games still being treated like they're "just for kids" - we need more people like Cage in the industry to help actually break us away from that ignorant stigma. People who actually bother to take risks and not completely follow the mold.

Sithis knows companies like Activision sure as hell aren't going to do it.

Their games may not be "games" in the purest sense [They really are just interactive movies] - but they are still a hell of a lot better than the same-old, same-old cookie cutter "save the princess/damsel/world/country from the evil king/queen/omnipotent being/terrorists" stuff that's released every year.

And frankly - what's wrong with an interactive film? A film in which what you do, determines what happens to everyone involved?

Side note: 2000 pages really isn't that long of a script when you consider there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of characters who likely all have dialogue of some kind [Be it important, or just for ambiance like a couple walking down the street having a conversation.]. That's maybe a few hundred lines a piece. IE: NPCs that you interact with over the course of the game.

As opposed to a movie, where there are only a handful of characters who have any real dialogue - not to mention it's only a 2-3 hour length.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are both multiple playthrough games - there is no way you can see every ending, or every outcome of every event in one playthrough.
    Once you play through the game once the magic is gone and you pretty much have the plot in your head.

there's no point in playing it again. go on youtube and look up the alternate scenes.

could say the same for almost every single game that involves choices.

Witcher 2 Is a game that doesn't do this and instead has a new things to do after the first playthrough (You can miss entire towns full of sidequests and missions due to a choice.) Not to mention it has fantastic writing, Has actual "Maturity", and makes you actually care/hate characters you meet. That's a Linear RPG with over 20 Endings.

Witcher 3 has 3 Main Endings with over 300 Ways the game's endings will vary. You have to give a player a reason to play through it again to get their moneys worth.

Side note: 2000 pages really isn't that long of a script when you consider there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of characters who likely all have dialogue of some kind [Be it important, or just for ambiance like a couple walking down the street having a conversation.]. That's maybe a few hundred lines a piece. IE: NPCs that you interact with over the course of the game.

You can also do 128pt font with triple spacing and fill up 2000 pages easily

also here's a quote from the guy who made braid

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/st...83285286318082

To whomsoever out there thinks these games-trying-to-be-movies have good stories: You owe it to yourself to read some actual books.

I personally think David Cage's games are basically play once, like it when your involved in it, but then when the whole thing is over your head goes "Wait, there's alot of terrible writing here". I might buy it for William Dafoe though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast