Devs at Ubisoft want to make a Blood Dragon sequel

This is a discussion on Devs at Ubisoft want to make a Blood Dragon sequel within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Michael Biehn Confirms Potential Blood Dragon Sequel | Invalid Opinions Yes, you are reading that sensational headline right! Today comes ...

INTJ

Devs at Ubisoft want to make a Blood Dragon sequel

Michael Biehn Confirms Potential Blood Dragon Sequel | Invalid Opinions

Yes, you are reading that sensational headline right! Today comes an exciting piece of news about a potential Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon sequel coming from Xbox Live’s Major Nelson Radio which has Michael Biehn on the podcast through a phone connection.

On this podcast Michael talks about people approaching him on the street about Blood Dragon, his first meeting with Dean Evans (Creative Director of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon) and the amount enthusiasm he had for the Blood Dragon project (which was met with a ”We’ll see”-attitude from some of the higher ups at Ubisoft.)

Despite Ubisoft being cautious about this project at first, it has pleasantly surprised almost everyone including those very higher ups because according to Michael Biehn the sales of Blood Dragon have exceeded FIVE times the initial expectations of Ubisoft. Which has Dean excitedly calling Michael up which leads up to this quote;

Dean was with me on the phone last night. He was pretty jacked up. He was going into a meeting today, to you know.. I think he wants to turn it into some sort of franchise. He’s got a sequel in mind.
    For those worried about Michael Biehn suddenly showing up in other games that don’t have the same amount of passion as Blood Dragon, he has some very kind words for Dean Evans and promises exclusivity to him and the Blood Dragon franchise. You might be worried that if Blood Dragon does become a franchise, it will end up overstaying its welcome or overdoes it with the 80s parody humor, however, this is a bit too early for anyone to even be thinking about.

Even that worry is taken away early into the interview in which Michael says that Dean Evans has plenty of ideas for a potential sequel, different timelines and areas he would like to explore. If this has you excited you should see Dean and Michael goofing off in the promotional video interview for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, or you can always listen to the podcast itself in the posted links above and below.

More blood dragon is good.

this probably wouldn't of happened if it wasn't for that month early leak on the PC.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

when ubisoft runs with something they do it til they overkill it Like assassins creed
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Negator

It's refreshing when a dev REALLY gets it right.

...then they make sequels until you forget why you loved the game in the first place.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

I really enjoyed Blood Dragon, and I would probably love to see a bigger game as a sequel, but beyond that it would be too much. There's only so much cheesy one liners you can have before getting lame (Leon Kennedy anyone?).

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    It's refreshing when a dev REALLY gets it right.

...then they make sequels until you forget why you loved the game in the first place.
    My thoughts exactly.

I've yet to try FC3: Electric Boogaloo Edition, but I'm really looking forward to doing so after watching a few videos and talking to a few people that have tried it already.

That said, this new info is both a good and bad thing. Good for it could potentially get us another Electric Boogaloo'd FC3 that seems as awesome and entertaining as this one. Bad because, as someone stated before, Ubisoft tends to overdose the market with a franchise and totally murders it after a few years. Hope that's not the case here, but I'm not hoping for much.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

I wonder if they're going to make this the new Duke Nukem?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

O_o

Aw yiss, feed me more pop sci-fi references.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Yaaaay! more of Michael Biehn!

PRO Member

Sequel would be nice, even a Trilogy.

I can think of 'Blood Dragon' being the 'Machete' of videogames.

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Michael Biehn Confirms Potential Blood Dragon Sequel | Invalid Opinions

More blood dragon is good.

this probably wouldn't of happened if it wasn't for that month early leak on the PC.
    Explain, please. I don't understand how the game being leaked a little early on PC (like a lot of games are) lead to it potentially getting a sequel.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    Explain, please. I don't understand how the game being leaked a little early on PC (like a lot of games are) lead to it potentially getting a sequel.
    Game leaks a month early due to Uplay Glitch. It is the full complete build, no glitches or anything.

Positive word of mouth ads everywhere. Everyone that played it said they loved it. This adds even more buyers.

Same exact thing happened to Deus Ex Human Revolution and their Press Demo leak. Everyone was afraid it was going to bomb, but when the press demo came out that whole entire opinion vanished immediately and it went on to sell alot.

(square enix didn't even sue them for millions of dollars for what they did because they knew it helped them)

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Game leaks a month early due to Uplay Glitch. It is the full complete build, no glitches or anything.

Positive word of mouth ads everywhere. Everyone that played it said they loved it. This adds even more buyers.

Same exact thing happened to Deus Ex Human Revolution and their Press Demo leak. Everyone was afraid it was going to bomb, but when the press demo came out that whole entire opinion vanished immediately and it went on to sell alot.

(square enix didn't even sue them for millions of dollars for what they did because they knew it helped them)
    Yeah, but the real difference in this case is that FC3:BD didn't spend 5 years in development like DE:HR did, and (unlike HR) was not surrounded by mounds and mounds of hype for years without any concrete output at trade-shows and conferences. I know anybody with more than 2 brain cells loves HR, but remember during development that it LOOKED the same way ACM did, lots of teasers and gameplay vids, but there was never any big flashy playable showcases and even the YEAR PRIOR to its release there was nothing playable, even alpha/beta builds, being shown. Couple that with the fact that it switched publishers halfway through development after a buyout...

The leak helped HR a lot because while there was a lot of hype, there was also a lot of unease about it. People were worried because HR looked like the type of project that had a lot of flash, but under the skirt was a complete mess.

BD was completely different, now thats not to say the PC leak was bad, but lets be honest here... Nobody knew BD even existed until around 2 months before its release (and rumor has it that it started development only a few months prior to that), we knew upfront it was a game that was being built on top of a popular, well-known, award winning game, and it was never touted to be a full-featured release. There was never a point in time where BD was going to be a "high risk" game.

Plus, Ubisoft was churning out information and teasers like crazy, sites had gameplay demos weeks beforehand.

There was never a doubt in any sane, logical, intelligent person's mind that BD was going to sell well. The formula was too perfect.

Like I said, the PC leak wasn't a bad thing... But I doubt it made the difference between this game bombing and quintupling Ubisoft's sales expectations.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Like I said, the PC leak wasn't a bad thing... But I doubt it made the difference between this game bombing and quintupling Ubisoft's sales expectations.
    Agreed. It made not one lick of shit difference to console sales.

Retro 80's action flick parody, gaudy colour palette, winning franchise name in the title and cheap price tag made this thing a sure-fire hit. No-one seriously expected BD to be a AAA-grade title - it more or less felt like an indie mod made for shits & giggles and the project scope, development schedule and retail price reflected that.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    when ubisoft runs with something they do it til they overkill it Like assassins creed
    So does everyone else now a days... sadly, that is just how it is. If their is money.... do it. (EA, Activision etc)... I mean c'mon Blood Dragon was a quick fun time thing, it hasn't even been out for long & already talks about another.

Signature by DaRe_xLw