Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got My 1TB PS3 HDD now, but got a problem! (See last post)

This is a discussion on Got My 1TB PS3 HDD now, but got a problem! (See last post) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; WD Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5 inch 5400RPM OEM Internal Hard Disk Drive (Compatible with Sony Playstation PS3): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Got My 1TB PS3 HDD now, but got a problem! (See last post)

WD Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5 inch 5400RPM OEM Internal Hard Disk Drive (Compatible with Sony Playstation PS3): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

just got 100 for helping my sister move house so i'm tempted to buy this HDD for 60.

now that i have PS+ i could use the extra space so i can download all the free games.

anyone put a 1TB in their PS3 yet? and does it work perfectly like other HDDs, or is it slower or anything? (the most i've put in previously was 320GB)
    Last edited by Moondog; 05-11-2013 at 08:39 AM.

DON'T BLINK

I've got one. The bitch part was transferring all my old data to an external hd then transferring it back to the new hd. That took the longest. But I freaking love it, have 88 ps3 games installed on my HD and still have 200+ gigs left.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    I've got one. The bitch part was transferring all my old data to an external hd then transferring it back to the new hd. That took the longest. But I freaking love it, have 88 ps3 games installed on my HD and still have 200+ gigs left.
    nice

i already have 27 PSN games, 27 PS1 classics, 4 PS2 classics, 12 Sega Vintage games and 4 PS+ free games, so i'm down to about 50GB lol

Lvl 3 - Bronze

that's possible to put 1tb hdd to your ps3. It's up to you to buy it.

Rangers F.C

I would say keep the cash for PS4, the PS3 will be a dinosaur come Christmas time .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

I'd say go for it, I'd do it if I had the cash. PS3 still has a lot to offer even with PS4 coming this year.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I would say keep the cash for PS4, the PS3 will be a dinosaur come Christmas time .
    lol i wouldn't manage to keep it that long, i won't be getting PS4 the second it comes out anyway, probably wait for the first price drop, but i'll be keeping my PS3 regardless.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Just make sure it's the correct height. Some styles of the SATA2.5 1TB HDD are slightly taller than others and won't fit properly. So due your research.

This is what I got in mine: Western Digital WD Scorpio Black 750 GB SATA 3 GB/s 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Internal Bulk/OEM.

Some people say that the 7200rpm HDD have a problem with overheating and noise. I personally haven't had any issues (installed it about 7 months ago), And it seems to run faster than the original one.

PRO Member

I have one and mine and the only noticeable difference is a slight pause when you scroll through trophy lists or your games.

My advice is do not do a full data transfer as mine locked up twice between 80% and 87%.
    I would save all your games to the cloud and start over. If you have decent internet speed, downloading the games again will be much quicker then transfer.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by mturismo View Post
    Just make sure it's the correct height. Some styles of the SATA2.5 1TB HDD are slightly taller than others and won't fit properly. So due your research.
    i'm sure it'll be fine since it says "compatible with Sony Playstation 3" on the product, plus it's a Western Digital Scorpio Blue, which is the exact same make of the 320GB i put in my current PS3.

i went ahead and ordered it, should get it next week.

Quote Originally Posted by broy300 View Post
    I have one and mine and the only noticeable difference is a slight pause when you scroll through trophy lists or your games.

My advice is do not do a full data transfer as mine locked up twice between 80% and 87%.
    I would save all your games to the cloud and start over. If you have decent internet speed, downloading the games again will be much quicker then transfer.
    hmm never had a problem backing up any data before.

probably won't bother with the cloud, cos can't even upload my WWE '13 save to it since it's totalling 3.3GB, with all my CAWs and other creations lol

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Anyone knows the maximum partition size limit for the FAT32 format?

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by NYSF View Post
    Anyone knows the maximum partition size limit for the FAT32 format?
    it's either 2TB or 2.5TB.

3TB definitely doesn't work cos i've tried it

Lvl 6 - Silver

so my 1TB HDD arrived today, i previously had a backup of my 160GB PS3 HDD on my 1TB external drive, i deleted this one to make more room on my external for a fresh backup of my current 320GB HDD, but even though i have 380GB free on my external my PS3 is saying there is only 178GB free, therefore it isn't letting me back it up.

WTF?

PRO Member

Can you try reformatting your external drive if there is nothing important on it?

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Bardas View Post
    Can you try reformatting your external drive if there is nothing important on it?
    no way lol, got way too much stuff on it, just gonna have to try and copy a load back to my PC to add more space, and see if it frees up enough space in the PS3's eyes lol

Lvl 6 - Silver

moved stuff off my external and the PS3 is still reading only 178GB FFS

anyone know anything i can do

illegal in 9 countries

Check the partition size on PC. Reformat as FAT32, default cluster size using EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition.

IMHO, don't use the PS3's backup and restore, period. It's a piece of shit designed to backup the original Fat PS3's of 60GB or less. A single corrupted file (which happens more often than not during a backup) like an avatar or theme will FUBAR the entire process. Avoid if possible.

Backup your game saves to PS+ and/or a USB stick, sync your trophies, rip the old HDD out, bang the new one in and download / install of your games again from disc or PSN.

If you absolutely need to restore a backup for your WWE13 saves, delete everything you can reinstall / download to minimise the backup size.

Lvl 6 - Silver

it's just i have so much stuff on my PS3, that i can't be assed re-downloading every single thing again.

can't afford to format my HDD, got like 500GB of stuff on it.

after trying to prepare the backup again, it said i needed 29GB more free space, so i deleted over 30GB of my games etc. i'm just a little wary of being able to get everything downloaded again, cos the new store sucks and has fucked up the download list, some things no longer download cos they're not on the store (this was never a problem with the old store).

so had to systematically delete the right games that i knew were definitely on the store still, in a full version and not some full unlock with the trial missing like what happened to my mate when he bought the Lara Croft PSN game, it gave him the unlock but the trial was nowhere to be found, bloody idiots Sony, the new store sucks big time.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog View Post
    i'm just a little wary of being able to get everything downloaded again, cos the new store sucks and has fucked up the download list, some things no longer download cos they're not on the store (this was never a problem with the old store).

so had to systematically delete the right games that i knew were definitely on the store still, in a full version and not some full unlock with the trial missing like what happened to my mate when he bought the Lara Croft PSN game, it gave him the unlock but the trial was nowhere to be found, bloody idiots Sony, the new store sucks big time.
    I've got over a thousand items in my Downloads list, it's all still there.

When the new store launched there was an issue with missing Downloads, but they corrected it in a subsequent update. There's been about 5 updates since then, so it should be fine.

The point I was making is the smaller the backup, the easier it will be to restore.

Lvl 6 - Silver

well my PS3 just ended up coming up with an error when i tried to back everything up, so i've given up trying, and sent back my 1TB for a refund.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast