Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrade PS3 or buy PS4?

This is a discussion on Upgrade PS3 or buy PS4? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So, I've been thinking. I want to upgrade my PS3 system, I saw this in another thread WD Scorpio Blue ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Upgrade PS3 or buy PS4?

So, I've been thinking. I want to upgrade my PS3 system, I saw this in another thread WD Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5 inch 5400RPM OEM Internal Hard Disk Drive (Compatible with Sony Playstation PS3): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories and I didn't knew about it 'till now, and it's pretty awesome.

I really want to buy the collection games, like the silent hill, metal gear and kingdom heart ones, and with PS+ games, my hardware always maxes and have to remove games. This wasn't a problem untill this year. Maybe you'll be amazed that I have a 40 gb PS3 haha, but like I said, it wasn't always a problem removing games and installing new ones. I was removing them because I didn't played them anymore, so yeah.

But PS4 is almost near.

My answer is to upgrade my system and wait for the price drop on PS4.

Oh and I don't know if this topic was already discussed.

Mah' bad if it was.

PRO Member

Ill save up the money for PS4

Local Drunk

Upgrade the PS3 and play the games you want while the PS4's price drops.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Venire, Videre, Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Upgrade the PS3 and play the games you want while the PS4's price drops.
    Yeah, this pretty much sums it up!

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

-i- love myself.

If I were you I'd save the money for the PS4.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Well if it was me, I would save up and wait since PS4 is coming but PS4 wont have many games and also you can play the games you want on the PS4 Cloud (if it shows up like they said). My friend got a PS3 last week even though i told him to wait but his money his choice. So go upgrade and save up for the PS4 when the price drops by then the PS4 library will have a good amount of games

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks guys!

But yeah, I think I'll stick with upgrading the ps3 and then after the price drops get the ps4.

How 'bout you guys? Thinking of upgrading your system? Selling it? Purchasing the next console?

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Rangers F.C

I would just keep the PS3 the way it is if I were you, once the PS4 launches there will be loads of PS3 with big HD getting traded in and you should be able to pick one up very cheap, or buy a brand new one . I don't think I would put a 1TB HD in a Playstation, it seems like overkill to me . I got a 120GB and get along just great with it, the 40GB you have is rather low and I would recommend just picking up a 250GB . Your fatboy is not going to last forever .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'd save my money for PS4. If you really NEED to upgrade the PS3 go for something cheaper. You really don't need a huge HDD like that.

PRO Member

Upgrading that antique 40GB fat should be out of the question. If your not trying to fork over the money for the PS4, just replace your current console. There are plenty of PS3 bundles out there for really cheap.

Lvl 6 - Silver

i'd do both, who knows when we'll get this "cloud access" to our PS3's PSN games, via PS4.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i would save up for the ps4 if you plan on getting it. then get the games on disc to save on the hdd space, unless you strongly prefer downloading them, then instead of upgrading the current system, get a slim ps3. from what ive read, the bigger consoles are becoming problematic and should they need to be repaired, sony sends back a refurbished console.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Waiting for a price drop is not the smartest way to go,sony isn't known for dropping their prices,you will have to wait close to two years for a price drop,in that time the money you wasted on your upgraded hard drive and new games you will buy in that timespan (which are going to be games you are going to regret buying on ps3 because they are going to be better on the ps4)you could just save that money and buy a ps4.Most people will not even touch their ps3 when the new system comes out.

Buy my book, Alteration

I'd personally upgrade the PS3. You already have one of those, and PS3 games don't work on PS4. You can always wait for a price drop on the PS4.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

PRO Member

If I was in your shoes, I'd just get a new PS3 as soon as possible. A price drop for the PS4 won't be for 18 months at least (6 months till release, 1 year for price drop, if any). You don't want to get a new drive and go through the hassle of reinstalling everything, then have your fatty give out on you, only to have to do the transfer/reinstall all over again on a new PS3. Just do it once and be done with it.

If you have extra cash kicking around, I'd buy a ~240GB SSD for a PS3 for better performance, and when you upgrade to the PS4, you can throw it in there, or chuck it in your PC if you haven't got any already.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hmm yeah, my fatty won't last forever, but my ps2 still works haha.

You all got good points, and that's why I posted this thread to get ideas on what to do/what are you planning to do. And yeah, precisely yesterday I was thinking on just maybe get a refurbished slim ps3 and upgrade it or not, or maybe even a bundle. A bundle would be must cheaper I guess.

But I decided I am going to wait on the ps4. It's not that I don't want it, it's just that there's something that doesn't convince me to buy one right away...

But hey! The more ideas, the better!

Lvl 8 - Gold

Since you decided on a solution I can go a bit off topic and tell you that that's an awesome sig you have there.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

keep the money save up for ps4

PRO Member

Wait it out get a slim PS3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast