Questions about Data Transfer

This is a discussion on Questions about Data Transfer within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; sup guyz is yolo ear n i wunteed 2 ask u all sum q's. swag. Hey there, I have some ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Questions about Data Transfer

sup guyz is yolo ear n i wunteed 2 ask u all sum q's. swag.

Hey there, I have some questions regarding PS3 data transfer. My 250gb PS3 slim stopped reading PS3 games about 1 month ago. Rather than get it repaired (I am informed it would cost over 100?), I have decided to opt for a new 500gb PS3 super duper slim.

When I get my new 500gb, I will obviously want to transfer all of my previous data onto it. As far as I am aware, I have 3 options in doing this:

Option 1- I insert a USB stick into my old PS3 and simply upload all the data onto it. However, am I correct in thinking that some games are copy-right protected, meaning that I will not be able to transfer ALL of my data? I really want to keep all of my data.

Option 2- I connect my 250gb to my 500gb with an ethernet cable and transfer all of the data onto the new console. This option would be perfect, but I am not sure if the 'copyright' rule still applies. Does anybody know if it does?

Option 3- I buy PS+ for a month. I'm pretty sure that the 'copyright' rule does not apply here, meaning that I would be able to transfer ALL of my game data. However, the obvious downfall here is that I have to pay money.

So I would like ANY advice on which option is best, and it would be very helpful if you could answer any of my questions found in options 1 and 2.

Any responses, even if you're telling me to shut the hell up, will be greatly appreciated. GREATLY. Thanks!!!

yolo mcswag swag out

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Hey man wassup. I do know for sure your right about copyright data not being able to transfer to a USB stick/ external hard drive. Not sure about networking both ps3s together with Ethernet cord, you might have to get ps plus for a month because you can upload all data to there, copyright or not. Ethernet is worth a shot if your going to have both ps3s available !

Lvl 6 - Silver

Speaking from experience, just ethernet it over. You'll get EVERYTHING. The only exception to this is certain saves (Little Big Planet/ LBP2 [though to get around this you can back it up IN GAME [[wish I knew about that at the time..]] and then can copy it to a usb or whatvever], a select few others may have problems, and I had problems with Uncharted Drakes Fortune when I did it but no one else seems to have reported this... But even copy righted saves and stuff will transfer over. Photos, Music, Saves, Data, everything will transfer over and it's easy to do though did take a couple of hours if I remember correctly...
    I'd recommend this way. Hope this helps.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Rickdawg420 View Post
    Hey man wassup. I do know for sure your right about copyright data not being able to transfer to a USB stick/ external hard drive. Not sure about networking both ps3s together with Ethernet cord, you might have to get ps plus for a month because you can upload all data to there, copyright or not. Ethernet is worth a shot if your going to have both ps3s available !
    Cheers for he reply! I think it'll definitely be between option 2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Speaking from experience, just ethernet it over. You'll get EVERYTHING. The only exception to this is certain saves (Little Big Planet/ LBP2 [though to get around this you can back it up IN GAME [[wish I knew about that at the time..]] and then can copy it to a usb or whatvever], a select few others may have problems, and I had problems with Uncharted Drakes Fortune when I did it but no one else seems to have reported this... But even copy righted saves and stuff will transfer over. Photos, Music, Saves, Data, everything will transfer over and it's easy to do though did take a couple of hours if I remember correctly...
    I'd recommend this way. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info! I'm very tempted to do the ethernet option now. Only thing is, I have reams and reams of data on LBP2 and I dare not risk it all. I've backed some of it up onto my PS3 but not all of it. Thanks for the reply.

PRO Member

I'd suggest you become a PS+ member, not only for the saved data but for all the free games you get. If you try it you'll keep it (and no I don't work for Sony).

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I can confirm with Nookie that ethernet transfer will net you everything. I recently had to do the same thing when my original stopped working. Just follow this link step by step and you'll be golden.

Negator

Data transfer is the best way to go, but it can be quite time consuming depending on the amount of data you need to transfer. A quicker alternative is clouding the saves with PS+.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    I'd suggest you become a PS+ member, not only for the saved data but for all the free games you get. If you try it you'll keep it (and no I don't work for Sony).
    I've been thinking about getting it for ages. However, I love having physical copies of my games. Thanks for the reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDome13 View Post
    I can confirm with Nookie that ethernet transfer will net you everything. I recently had to do the same thing when my original stopped working. Just follow this link step by step and you'll be golden.
    Looks like I'll go for Ethernet then! The link is much appreciated and thanks for responding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Data transfer is the best way to go, but it can be quite time consuming depending on the amount of data you need to transfer. A quicker alternative is clouding the saves with PS+.
    By data transfer I assume you mean the USB/Ethernet option? I think I'll go for Ethernet. Thanks for the response!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well I'm not 100% sure, but I think buying a new system gives you a free 30 day ps plus voucher XD
    I tried transferring my data once and it took way too long... And copyrighted saves can be backed up to the cloud,
    you just have to wait 24 hours to copy it to your new system...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Doing it by USB would be the worst option just looking at the three lol, I havent had to do this but I guess option 2 would work the best if you can ignore the "copyright" issues involved.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by YOLO View Post
    I assume you mean the USB/Ethernet option?
    There's a system backup utility called "Data Transfer Utility"...that's the one I recommend.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay