Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EA doing away with online pass

This is a discussion on EA doing away with online pass within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Has hell frozen over? EA is doing away with its Online Pass program from this point forward, a decision the ...

DON'T BLINK

EA doing away with online pass

Has hell frozen over?

EA is doing away with its Online Pass program from this point forward, a decision the video game publisher says is partially based on player response.“Yes, we’re discontinuing Online Pass,” EA senior director of corporate communications John Reseburg confirmed to GamesBeat in an e-mail. “None of our new EA titles will include that feature.”

The modern military first-person shooter Battlefield 3 and a number of other EA games such as Madden NFL use Online Pass. You need it in order to play many of a game’s online features, including multiplayer. A code activates the Pass, which has a one-time use. You need a new code (which the publisher offers, of course, for a fee) if you’re playing the game on another console or if you bought the software used and the original owner redeemed the original. But players never embraced this feature.

“Initially launched as an effort to package a full menu of online content and services, many players didn’t respond to the format,” Reseburg said. “We’ve listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it moving forward.”

Read more at EA kills its controversial Online Pass program | GamesBeat

INTJ

EA are you feeling alright

Lvl 10 - Platinum

SSSSHHH!!! Be quiet EA is trying to go from worst to first.

Up the Irons!

This makes me so damn happy!

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Breakfast and Chill

Tomorrow's headline: EA promises to take fans' opinions into consideration during game development
    Friday's headline: EA will allow their PC games to be sold through Steam again.

дурак

Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

-i- love myself.

Finally!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Well, they got rid of printed booklets first so it evens it out. I wouldn't say the did the "right" thing, but rather they fixed one of the bad things they did.

I feel a kind of weird dread, I wonder if they try to give good news before dropping another bomb on us

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Well, they got rid of printed booklets first so it evens it out. I wouldn't say the did the "right" thing, but rather they fixed one of the bad things they did.

I feel a kind of weird dread, I wonder if they try to give good news before dropping another bomb on us
    They usually do that after they fuck up big.

and it's usually something about gay rights to make them look like "The Poor ol progressive company vs the evil hater homophobes"

so i wonder how badly they screwed up this time and what it is

PRO Member

Good shit but we'll see if they stick true to their word, or potentially do something even worse.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Trophy Huntin'

We'll probably have to start paying for actual content on the disc.

"You want to play the next chapter? That'll be $5"

Looking for some new games? Check out the Trading post for some great deals!
    Latest Platinum: Batman: The Order 1886

Working On: PS4: Star Wars Battlefront and Rocket League
    PS3: Dishonored and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel
    Vita: Rainbow Moon and Hotline Miami 2

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bangcrashboom View Post
    We'll probably have to start paying for actual content on the disc.

"You want to play the next chapter? That'll be $5"
    this made me lol. Good ole EA....hahaha you don't get voted the worst company on the planet two years in a row without being shitty... This is at least a step in the right direction...
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

DON'T BLINK

I have to wonder if they know something about the next gen consoles and blocking used games perhaps? (looking at microsoft mainly, though sony did say its up to devs didn't they)

Lvl 7 - Gold

This is very good news but i seriously think they are gonna do something worse to decrease the amount of used games being bought. We shall wait and see

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

It's a trap!

Seriously, I can't believe this...

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Good shit but we'll see if they stick true to their word, or potentially do something even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    It's a trap!

Seriously, I can't believe this...
    My sentiments exactly.

My guess is they're looking into ways of doing away with the used-game market completely by locking the game to the first console or account to use it (there have been whispers of this method of DRM for both PS4 and 720).

If all sales are first-party, there's no need for an online pass :lightbulb:

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    My sentiments exactly.

My guess is they're looking into ways of doing away with the used-game market completely by locking the game to the first console or account to use it (there have been whispers of this method of DRM for both PS4 and 720).

Yeah i agree with you i believe they are gonna do this as well. That's complete bullshit if they do this i cant borrow games from friends any more.

Notorious K.I.D.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    My sentiments exactly.

This makes a whole lot of sense, but if it's true I'll just stick with my PS3. I have years worth of games to check out or replay.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    I have to wonder if they know something about the next gen consoles and blocking used games perhaps? (looking at microsoft mainly, though sony did say its up to devs didn't they)
    Yeah, I highly doubt they have done this out of the goodness of their hearts (assuming they have any). If they really gave a shit, they would have done it for existing and new games

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Lord of all Goat-Men

Considering Online Passes only pertain to online features, I have no problem with them.
    By buying a game pre-owned, or even renting it, you deny the developer and publisher a sale. If that game has online features, then that developer or publisher is paying to provide that online service - they pay to run servers, to patch the game, and to troubleshoot. If you haven't given them a cent, why do you have the right to use their service?

Now, EA is going to look to recover their money in other ways: microtransactions, on-disc DLC, over-priced DLC, and most likely a massive increase in trivial DLC, like cosmetic packs.

But thank God online-passes are gone...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast